Vita Mix users

Options
I am looking to buy a vitamix to make green smoothies with raw fruits and vegetables. I have a few questions.

1. Are there any veggies that you need to cook a little before you use them in a smoothie, or can it actually handle stuff like beets in their raw form?

2. Do I need to get the variable speed one, or will the two speed model work for my needs?

Replies

• Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have never tried hard things like beets, but I think if you cut them up well, it would blend them. I would definitely get the variable speed if you are wanting to use it for harder foods.

I really like my vita mix. It was an investment, but worth it.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank-you Jessica
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I haven't done beets in mine but I have done frozen bananas and those things are rock solid! I would recommend getting the variable speed if you can just because some things you don't necessarily want to blend at mach 2. I use the slower speeds for gently stirring things it or even scrambling my eggs.
  • fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just got the variable speed one a few weeks ago, (got sucked in by the demo guy at Sam's club!) I haven't tried beets in it but it has been able to handle anything I have put in it - frozen bananas, berries, whole apples etc. I have been putting spinach and kale in my smoothies in the morning (along with pineapple, and orange, a banana, berries, protein powder, and fat free plain greek yogurt and ice) I haven had any need to cook veggies before blending them - blends it all up into a tasty smoothie - much better consistency than I was getting with a regular blender! I've only had it for a few weeks but my husband and I both love it has greatly upped our fruit and veggie intake - though we kind of sound like an infomercial when people ask us about it!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just got the variable speed one a few weeks ago, (got sucked in by the demo guy at Sam's club!) I haven't tried beets in it but it has been able to handle anything I have put in it - frozen bananas, berries, whole apples etc. I have been putting spinach and kale in my smoothies in the morning (along with pineapple, and orange, a banana, berries, protein powder, and fat free plain greek yogurt and ice) I haven had any need to cook veggies before blending them - blends it all up into a tasty smoothie - much better consistency than I was getting with a regular blender! I've only had it for a few weeks but my husband and I both love it has greatly upped our fruit and veggie intake - though we kind of sound like an infomercial when people ask us about it!

I've had mine for five years and still sound like that! I should probably get a commission for all the blenders I've sold for them! :)
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it could handle just about any veggie, but for example if you cook a sweet potato it will release its natural sugars and make it taste better. I also think I made a potato soup with it once and I used a baked potato because I prefer the taste of cooked potato over raw... I honestly never have used a beet though. I would think they would be fine raw but if you wanted the natural sugars roasting them might be better.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you are going to make the investment, go for the variable speed. I have done a raw beet in my vitamix before... no problems! Once you get one you will be addicted! Seriously the best investment I have ever made for my health! Good luck!