Fruit is killing me!

Options

Replies

• Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have the capacity to differentiate between sugars. Despite what people say - sugars DO differ. Fruit is high in fructose, and is such is a 'natural' sugar. The sugar you find in carbonated soft drinks, or sprinkle on your cereal however is refined, processed sugar which is much higher in sucrose than fructose.

As long as you're within your macros, and the sugar you're getting is derived from natural sources on a 1200 calorie diet I wouldn't be too concerned. If the sugar was fro highly processed ingredients, then that may be an issue.

H :)

tigerpalm.jpg
    Sucrose is a natural sugar, made of glucose and fructose. I'm not even sure what you're trying to even say here. Most fruit has a majority of sucrose in it, then free fructose, then free glucose, and, depending on the fruit, any of a hundred other sugars.

I decided to look it up and have to admit that it looks like you're right but fruit isn't purely sucrose, just partial which I'm sure does play in some type of role.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    my dr. told me i could have 3 serving of fruit a day. just to try to stay away from fruits high in sugar such as bananas and pears, ggod luck

He told you to stay away from bananas? They are an awesome source of potassium and are very versatile. If I could only choose one fruit to eat for the rest of my life, I would choose bananas.
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Unless you need to limit sugar for health reasons, there is no need to track it in your diet.

THIS. so...why are you tracking sugar? are you diabetic? sugar=energy. You need energy.
  • CouldBeAHotMom
    Options
    This is has been discussed many times on here. Some people say fruit sugar is the same as any other, and some say it's not...
    Chemically it is different.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    my dr. told me i could have 3 serving of fruit a day. just to try to stay away from fruits high in sugar such as bananas and pears, ggod luck
    Bananas and pears are two of the best fruits you can eat!

Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic?
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would not even track it as a sugar. Just limit fruit servings to 2-3 a day and you will be fine! Over-complicating things like this can only end up with you getting frustrated, discouraged and confused.:smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have the capacity to differentiate between sugars. Despite what people say - sugars DO differ. Fruit is high in fructose, and is such is a 'natural' sugar. The sugar you find in carbonated soft drinks, or sprinkle on your cereal however is refined, processed sugar which is much higher in sucrose than fructose.

As long as you're within your macros, and the sugar you're getting is derived from natural sources on a 1200 calorie diet I wouldn't be too concerned. If the sugar was fro highly processed ingredients, then that may be an issue.

H :)

tigerpalm.jpg
    Sucrose is a natural sugar, made of glucose and fructose. I'm not even sure what you're trying to even say here. Most fruit has a majority of sucrose in it, then free fructose, then free glucose, and, depending on the fruit, any of a hundred other sugars.

I decided to look it up and have to admit that it looks like you're right but fruit isn't purely sucrose, just partial which I'm sure does play in some type of role.

Not really, the human digestive system has an enzyme that's specific purpose is to dissolve the bond that holds the fructose and glucose together in either sucrose or high fructose corn syrup. Essentially, sucrose and HFCs are processed in the exact same manner as free fructose and free glucose.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. That's why MFP doesn't separate it. There is no good or bad sugar. So, yes, I limit myself to one or two pieces of fruit for the same reasons you mentioned, because it goes over my allotted sugar. You will hear many people say that they don't count fruit sugar as sugar, but it is still sugar.

I guess it's just that I hate to see anything "in the red". So I try really hard to stay under all my allotted things that I track and sugar is one of them. But really, it's not the most important thing to track. And if you have a sweet tooth, fruit is probably the best thing to eat.

That's not true. Fruit sugar is a simple sugar called fructose which breaks down more slowly than glucose (refined sugars in sweets etc). Fructose doesnt give you that sugar spike and put stress on your body like glucose does and doesnt give your insulin levels such a hard time. Fruit is great becaus it contains so many nutrients and vitamins as well as water. You cant really beat it!

Fruit contains many kinds of sugar, and fructose is only one of them. Fruit also contains sucrose, which absolutely will raise your insulin if you are insulin resistant.

Sugar from fruit DOES matter, and just like any other food, yes it CAN make you fat, or at least sabotage your weight loss, if you eat too much of it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Fresh pear? don't care...

Little chunks of pears cut up and soaked in sugar in a can.... um, problem :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

BEST? In what way? They are on the top of my avoid list as far as fruit goes...
    Blueberries, Blackberries... at the top.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

BEST? In what way? They are on the top of my avoid list as far as fruit goes...
    Blueberries, Blackberries... at the top.

I totally avoid them as well. Too high in sugar.

Bananas in particular are highly overrated for their nutritional value. They are not a high potassium food, only medium at best. There are many more foods that provide potassium for fewer calories.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm over the whole "fruit sugar is bad! certain fruits are bad!" deal.

"Sugar is sugar" - it is, but it isn't. At the end of the day, my personal goal is to nourish my body with purpose. If I'm presented with serving of fruit and a serving of gummy bears, and both have the exact same amount of sugar, I can reason that the fruit has fibre, nutrients and minerals and will do better things for my body than the candy. Easy choice. I'm not diabetic, so I'm not going to completely cut sugar out of my diet, but I do try to have it wisely (mornings, before/after strenuous workouts) and sparingly

And I do eat bananas, and also try to limit my carbs to under 100g/day. Bananas are very sweet tasting, and I use 1/3-1/2 of a frozen banana to naturally sweeten my smoothies, better than sugar or sugar substitutes, comparatively for the reasons stated above.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar yesterday for the same reason. It's a kick in the teeth when it's in the red and I'd rather not see it, especially when it's caused by strawberries and rose apple!

I've also stopped tracking salt but not for the same reasons. Mostly, because even while tracking, I don't take much notice of it, or change my foods as a result so it's pointless having it there and de-motivating me.

I'm trying to focus on reaching my macros. I'm pretty bad at this so it will take a while to get into better habits. The way I see it, when I have those sorted, then I can start worrying about the micros.
  • EncoreUneAutreFois
    EncoreUneAutreFois Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Definitely not diabetic, I'm healthy, but I'm trying to trim down the last 10 lbs, am hovering around the same 5 lbs, and I read reducing sugar intake would help. But man, one orange and I'm in the red? Why is MFP so harsh on sugars? I here you all though, I may just start ignoring the "sugar" column.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat fruits (all kinds, several servings every day and banana pretty much every single day) AND carbs AND plain ol' sugar if I want it. It hasn't hurt my weight loss.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm all about nutrient density.

But yeah, I get the impression if you are already a low body fat percentage, dropping carbs would have the most benefit.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Another reason bananas aren't on my list.. I'd rather have a cookie.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are-bananas-as-bad-for-you-as-cookies.html
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Another reason bananas aren't on my list.. I'd rather have a cookie.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are-bananas-as-bad-for-you-as-cookies.html

From the same site. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/bananas-fun-facts-about-the-superfood.html

I have a complex now.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I only count the cals in Fruit, not the sugar,
    I cut sugar out of everything that I can, I gave it up in a cup of tea, and it took 2 years b4 I actually enjoyed a cup of tea,, artificial sweeteners just don't do it.