Cheat day

Options
2»

Replies

• BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I am SO tempted to indulge in one, just because I want some bakery cupcakes and milk, but I don't want to have to eat much of nothing for the day and then STILL go over...because I know I'm not going to eat just one!. I'm thinking two or three. I love the idea of a regular one, and am going to try it after a few more pounds go away, that way I'll see if it works well for me, or bad for me. Then I can make an informed decision.

Right now I'm having ....fun?...seeing how close I can come to my daily total without going over...I've made it to 3 under so far.
  • ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    Normal lifestyle means for me not to be so perfect all the time...I am fitness freak, but when I am with my friends and they want me to eat McFlurry and Big mac menu with them...why not? Health is not only about body, but about relationships and mental health either...isnt it? And CHEAT day sounds me much better than "to fail" or piging out or binging....and I have read many articles on the web which tells its good to have sometimes something like that:-)

Said perfectly!
  • LilCh1ck
    LilCh1ck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find the cheat days helpful for now. I am making dietary changes that are very different from how I've been eating my entire life. Mentally it helps through the week if I want something that would not be part of an ideal plan (pizza, ice cream, etc.) I know I can have it on my cheat day. Usually by the time the cheat day rolls around I am not interested in having many of the things I thought I wanted during the week. As I get used to the new diet, the splurges on cheat day are getting to be fewer and fewer. I think having a cheat day on the horizon helps me stay focused and in control all the other days.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm going to re-post my own answer from another post about cheat days:

(This paragraph about why people get so fired up about it): A lot of it is unnecessary bickering. A lot of that bickering is caused because people define "cheating" differently,. Some people do fine in moderation, some cannot have even a little or they have to have more, and some like to treat themselves on special occasions. Many people call "cheat" meals a meal that they don't consider healthy, which I don't get at all. If you're eating within your calorie goals and macros, what's the cheat part?

Basically, everyone has different methods/preferences that are successful for them. Why does someone else care? I can see someone showing concern if a person chronically undereats, or even expressing concern if the person never eats anything healthy at all. But why does someone care if another person says they have a "cheat" meal or day or whatever? People define it differently. Why is a free day where a person doesn't log not okay if they're losing? Or whatever.

I don't like people coming in telling me what to do when it is only a *preference* and what works for them rather than having some scientific basis for what they are saying. Moderation works for you and you work a treat into your day every day because you want to have something exactly when you want it? Great! Do it! But don't assume that's the only way people are going to be successful. I maintain a steady *weekly* deficit. I save most of my "treats" for Saturday when I eat far above my maintenance. I like having that one day. I feel better when I *don't* have "treats" daily and instead have one day where I eat whatever I want. So find what preference works for you and go with it, regardless of what other people are doing or saying.

And, people have different lifestyles. For some, eating six times a day fits into that, for others it's intermittent fasting. Some can't eat after a certain time or they binge, some don't eat breakfast. These are all personal things that fit into an individual's lifestyle and preference. If my lifestyle is eating healthy 90% of the time and not so healthy 10% of the time, does it matter if I get to that 10% a bit each day or all in one meal or all in one day? If it works for my lifestyle, then it works and keeps me on track - but it is *my* lifestyle, not a fad diet. And I don't term it a "cheat" because I'm not cheating on anything, I'm living healthfully.