It Was Painful :(

Options

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to slowly work up to longer, faster walks. There's nothing wrong with having that much trouble at first. Don't overwhelm yourself and try to go balls to the walls at first. Every time I've done that I get frustrated and quit.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    BTW, don't forget to take your "before" pictures and measurements. We love to see before and after pictures on the Success Stories forum! Now rock on!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You got out there and did it! Baby steps - crawling leads to slow walking, slow walking to brisk walk, brisk walking leads to jogging. Family walks lead to fun 5Ks and maybe as you get stronger think about the C25K program. Take your time, grab a pedometer and wear it 24/7 for at least a week. See how much you move each day for an average week and then add an extra 1000 steps to your day the next week. Then each week try to add 500 to 1000 more steps to your day. If your not comfortable walking out side you can walk in place or around the house. Try walking the steps - always walk down and add one more flight up each week until you work your way to always taking the steps rather than the elevator. If you break it down in to small doable bites it is much easier to stick with it. You can do this!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it. It wont get easier, but you will get better at doing it :) Don't give up.
  • pigpentw
    pigpentw Posts: 13
    Options
    You started walking don't feel miserable that is an awesome start. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will you be a track star over night. 30 lbs ago I love to run and I ran over 20 miles a week, I did stairs, I did spin I was an addict then like we all do from time to time I fell off the wagon and I have had a hell of a time getting back on but this past weekend I did two days of 3 miles per day running I might add. It felt great but it has taken me two month's to get back to this.
    So go slow and stead move ever day and keep at it. You will succeed and when your feeling down or want to stop POST someone will throw you a life line

:smile:
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in November 2011, weighing 310 pounds. Before then, I didn't get any exercise and had also just quit smoking.
    When I first started out, all I could do was, seriously, about 3 minutes of walking without being completely out of breath.
    So, I would do those 3 minutes several times a day. It took a good month before I was able to walk for about 20-30 minutes, but a month goes by so quickly!
    Little by little, I started walking faster and longer and eventually got up to an hour of fast paced walking.
    Now, going on 5 months later- I am 66 pounds lighter and do an hour and a half Tae Bo workout everyday.
    I still have a long way to go, but just within these first few months, my health has changed so much and all for the better.

The best thing you can do is keep moving- even if it's just a little bit at a time. Your body will get stronger and eventually you will be able to execise for longer. Walking is a great starting point and it'll only get better from now on!

It's awesome that you have started this journey..I wish you the best of luck :)
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It will get better - DON'T GIVE UP!
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It will get better! We all have to start somewhere. Are you cleared for exercise? Not a hyst, but I had 2 c-sections and my doctor didn't even want me to vacuum for 6 weeks. Or pick up anything heavier than 5 pounds (7-lb baby, lol)

^^^^ this. I had a hysto last may. It took me about 9 months to feel 100% better, even when you think you feel better, you may have to heal. I say, just focus on healing and when its okayed by the Dr, start slow.

good luck!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I used to be a runner, so when I decided it was time to get healthy again, I figured I'd just 'take up runnning' agaim! Boy was I in for a shock, 3 minutes of jogging and I was lamost in tears!
    I've started the couch to 5k, and try to do fun things, like wii fit, I know that's not an awesome workout, but when you are really out of shape, it's a great way to get started.
    Or I turn on a tv show and walk on the treadmill til it's over, passes the time faster.
    It's been 30 days and now I can jog for almost 20 minutes without cramping up or my legs giving out on me.

Perservere, it gets easier!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to start out small and slowly increase how much you can do. Try taking a two 10-min walks tomorrow, and then add one minute of walking each day.
    Best of luck. It will get better. You can do it!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Try to find something to distract you when you're walking. Listen to music or even better a podcast. If' you're thinking about what they're saying you're not thinking about how sore your legs are!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should celebrate the fact that you were out there - you got up and walked! You moved more than those people sitting on their sofas today so YAY for you! We all have to start somewhere and I think most of us are not ready to find out just how out of shape we are.

Small steps lead to a lifetime of change....add me as a friend if you would like support.
  • LHAMON2009
    Options
    I am only maybe 2 months in max and when I first started I could do maybe 15-20 mins max at one time. I did that walk 2 times per day once in the morning and once at night. I was so sore at first but it got way easier. Now I can walk 45-60 mins straight. I was discouraged at first because it was hard but I did it. You can do this. I started at 250 and I am currently at 232-235. Feel free to add me! Good luck!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    For most people hyst=tired. I'm over 3 months now and just starting to get out of having daily fatigue. Some of us are a little slower to heal. And to top it off, I still have swelly belly!

Particularly because of surgery, start very slowly. Also because you are out of shape a slow start will be less discouraging.

As the weather improves I bet you will start to like walking. I kind of look at it as me time and enjoy the spring weather. Exercising also does make you feel pretty good too so focus on that too.

It really does get better.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics! It's so good for your body and easy on your joints.
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My legs hurt so bad. I don't think there's anything physically wrong- I think I'm just that much out of shape.

I can so relate to you. when I started MFP I couldn't walk for more than 15-20 minutes, about half a klm! But now 3.5 months later I am walking about 5lms a day on the treadmill and it takes me about an hour.

You will get there. I have alot of weight to lose as well so feel free to add me.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. Just do what you can and add as you can, either distance or time. I make deals with myself, 15 more minutes or walk to (fill in the blank) and then decide again if I want/can/need to go farther.
    Strength and stamina comes back from a hyst slow for some. I know some who have gone 8 weeks still exhausted. So dont beat yourself up yet.
    Give yourself credit for what you have done and accomplished.
    It will get easier with time
    You dont have to like it do to it.
    In the end you will be SO happy you got started..
    So do this for you.. no matter how hard/painful/difficult it is...
    YOU will win in the end..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first day after I decided, "I gotta do SOMETHING!" I took my dog for a walk. He's a Pekingese. He's the same breed of dog as the one who just won the Westminster... the one who had to be CARRIED around the show ring because he's too slow to walk the whole lap. And while my Beavis is a bit more active than the average Peke, he still has three inch legs. And he still DRAGGED me every step of that walk.

Within three months, I ran a 5k in under 30 minutes. :smile:

It's hard. It hurts. But it's sooooo worth it!
  • hag101108
    hag101108 Posts: 22
    Options
    It will get better! The first three weeks of my walking journey I could barely get out of bed the next morning and I was probably only walking about half a mile. Now I'm up to almost two miles a day. It sucked, but I'm so proud of myself now! Keep at it and you will get there!

Feel free to add me, if you need a friend!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, wherever you're at right now is perfect. Progress is where you're at, plus a teeny bit!

figure out how long you can walk with no discomfort at all, and start there. Stay there until you realize you WANT to go further. It will happen!

In January, I started exercising regularly for the first time in a long, long time. Only very recently have I even started to add time to my daily exercise routine, because I felt ready. I figured if I got too frustrated or got hurt, I'd quit, so I'm easing back into it. Eventually, I'll make those workouts more difficult, but only when I feel ready for the next step.

You can do it!