Trouble losing weight after gallbladder removal?

Options
Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone else had trouble losing weight after having their gallbladder removed? I had mine taken out about 6 years ago, just after sucessfully losing 2 1/2 stone with weight watchers. After my surgery i didn't change anything, still kept to the same diet and exercise but couldn't shift any more weight at all. Eventually i just gave up, until this Christmas when i joined the gym. I have now lost almost a stone and a half but the last two weeks my weight loss has completely stopped again despite working out really hard almost every day.

I'm beginning to wonder if i will ever lose the weight i want to :(

Replies

• Dimples1974
    Options
    Just me then? lol
  • areber07
    areber07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hav you noticed a difference in your BM's? You may need to eat more fiber to help keep things moving. This has been my before and after my GB surgery but has been worse since the surgery 10 years ago.
  • Zicon
    Zicon Posts: 27
    Options
    Not just you.

I wasn't worried much about my weight before I had my gallbladder removed, even if it was above my comfort level then.

After the removal, I just ballooned, putting on 15kg in half a year. It's coming off now, but so, so slowly...
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a little over two years ago, but I haven't noticed any impact on my weight loss. Have you had any blood work done lately to see if there's a potential issue with your thyroid or some other metabolic issue? I know my body had some trouble adjusting to certain foods post-op (i.e. fatty or hard to digest foods made me sick), but I don't have those same issues now.
  • GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    I had mine out last year and my body has gone haywire. I was about 165 pounds and now I am 145 pounds. Its been difficult. I had to lower the heck out of my fat. I try to eat very very low fat which makes it hard to feel full. My diet has had to change big time since then.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me....with the change in my diet, I got to keep my gallbladder. Attacks have gone away since I started eating better.
    My brother had his gall bladder removed and just complained that he has to go right to the little boys room after he eats :blushing:
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It seems like after I had mine removed, my weight loss stalled too. I have lost like 80 pounds before hand and just gained after. I am back at it again, but the loss has been slow compared to my track record. I also noticed more extreme hunger. I asked my doctor about it and he just looked at me like I was crazy.
  • Dimples1974
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, seems im not alone after all! lol

When i was consented for my surgery the doctor explained that your gall bladder didn't really do much so i wouldn't miss it. Since then i have started working in the surgery unit and have learnt that it is very important and helps to break down fats in your body :(

I think i have a very slow metabolism anyway, not to be too graphic but i only go for number 2's once a week if that. Have also had my thyroid tested a couple of times and the tests always come back fine.

I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP, maybe get a referral to a dietition for some more help, failing that i'm going to apply to go on embarrassing fat bodies and get their help lol
  • opal721
    opal721 Posts: 8
    Options
    No, you are not the only one! I had mine removed two yrs ago and put on about 40 lbs after and was overweight before. I just now began trying to shed the excess weight and I too am having a hard time losing weight. But, my philosophy is: if I eat right and exercise long enough eventually it will pay off. It is only logical that no matter the health problems if you eat less and exercise more you will eventually lose it albeit slowly. I am on day 58 and have lost 14 lbs. I also have a severe thyroid problem which prevents weight loss as well.
    Don't get discouraged... your good habits WILL catch up with you!!
  • audreyem
    Options
    Hi, Dimples1974
    I don't know if your still having this problem. I recently had my gall bladder out. and I've noticed I've been gaining about a pound a week! I recently had a baby, so I'm heavier them my norm to begin with. I also have thyroid and hormone issues, so I'm expecting this to be a long journey.
    I have seen ppl have success with bile salts. So that may be something you could try or talk to your nutritionist about.
    Also taking fish oil and probiotics can really help with the slow metabolism issue. Remember getting healthy is always a step in the right direction! :flowerforyou:
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone as I am having the same problem...I had lost weight several years ago and was doing just great, then last July I had my gallbladder out and have been slowly gaining weight and nothing seems to help. I went to a chiropractor and he gave me digestive enzymes that are supposed to help with the breakdown of fats etc well they have done nothing and I am getting so depressed with it also.
  • gandydancer
    Options
    This is so depressing, I was hoping someone would say they had no problem, but I have yet to see this.Apparently the bile is constantly running into intestines and storing fat and not breaking anything down, whereas with the gallbladder a much stronger bile breaks down everything and uses some and eliminates the rest. I hate to say it but I think days of losing weight are over, have researched this extensively and this is the wind up.
  • gandydancer
    Options
    Hi, I see you have tried digestive enzymes also and no luck, same here, they did nothing...I have even tried diet pills and nothing, so this is a big problem, feel like throwing the towel in...I actually have little fat pads on my stomach and hips which I never had, the doctors think I am crazy but they don't want to admit it is a hige money maker for them as they do around 800,000 surgeries a year...so wish I would have taken care of it when I had it.
  • gandydancer
    Options
    Wow glad to see you had a weight loss, you are about the only one...I eat low fat all of the time and can't imagine what I can cut out, even tried Weight Watchers, nothing!!.....Glad you had success tho, good luck.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in '95 while I was on WW, and I continued to lose weight. (Gained all that back and then some when I quit smoking and moved two states away). So maybe I was exception to the rule? I had lost about 40 pounds prior to the surgery and another 20 or after....
  • BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 kilos since I had my gall bladder removed in Feb 2013. Some of that 3 kilos was water weight from eating ice cream while in the hospital though.

I've actually had quite a stall since then though... the scales just dance around the same few pounds, up and down which is disheartening. Not sure if it's to do with my gall bladdar as it wasn't working anyway...
  • gandydancer
    Options
    Even tho it wasn't working it actually was working, maybe not as it should, but it was helping.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The dreaded word exercise and no mamby pamby exercise either. I got my gall bladder out July of 2011. I too, thought I'll never lose the weight. Decided to do something completely different. I dedicated myself to exercise. First to prove it didn't work for me, but then I was proved wrong it did work.
  • JJTGPBL
    JJTGPBL Posts: 1
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one. Ever since I had my gallbladder out I have been gaining weight. I had it out in 2009 after my daughter was born. I went from 135 lbs pre-surgery to 175lbs within 10 months. I then got pregnant with twins and delivered at 187lbs. I was able to lose 5 lbs but now I am 212lbs! I eat healthy and exercise. I am scared to death because nothing works.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is weird. I haven't really had any trouble without my gallbladder. Had it out 2/2012. The gallbladder stores the bile, in its absence the liver will continue to make the bile, without the bladder, you just don't store as much bile.