Exercise in the evening? Calories Burned

macnotes
macnotes Posts: 210 Member
Just wondering what others do with regards to working out after work. I have a caloric intake restriction of 1310 calories/day to lose 1 lbs a week and I bike, and walk during the day. As well, 3 X + a week I have an 1 hr. 15 minute boot camp work out that includes stair climbing, running and various strength exercises like push ups, tricep dips and abs. I calculate I burn about 500 calories doing it. Just wondering if I should over-eat by 500 calories earlier in the day to avoid having to make up a 700-1000 calorie deficit after my work out. I finish the work-out by 6:45 and am home by 7 PM making it really close to that magical 8 PM cut off time. And FYI, I go to bed by 9:30 PM (I get up at 5 AM)

Replies

• I prefer eating my workout calories after workouts. It replenishes me, but that is personal preference. Do what you are comfortable with. Listen to your gut! pun intended. ha, if you're hungry before bed, eat. That gaining weight in your sleep thing is a myth. A deficit is a deficit. Our bodies are not calculators on a clock. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I also workout in the evenings and I tend to eat most of my calories pre-workout. Depending on the workout, I may save some for after. If it’s strength or a mid-length run of 4-5, or more, miles then I’ll save calories to have something after the workout. For short runs I don’t usually worry about eating after since it doesn’t take as much out of me. On weekends I workout earlier in the day and always eat right after my workout.

I’ve actually found that the nights that I eat after a heavier workout, I’m more likely to be down on the scale the next morning than if I hadn’t eaten, even if it’s fairly late at night and right before bed. (I’m a daily weigher just so I can see how things effect me day to day, but I only “take” the Saturday weigh-in)
  • macnotes
    I've often wondered about the sleeping after a meal thing or the carbs later at night. Didn't make a bunch of sense to me, but maybe it's because you're more likely to over-eat the carbs at that time of night?

I don't like to eat a bunch before a work out as I find I get cramps or I feel sick to my stomach. I do find that when I get home after a work out though, I'm pretty hungry.

Interesting findings about the post-work out eating and weight result. I could see that your body needs the nourishment and if it doesn't get it, it goes into a bit of a storage mode. Any suggestions on a good post-work out meal that eats like dinner and not like a shake or breakfast? I like warm meals for dinner.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Knowing I was going to work out and nothing was going to stop me, I would tend to eat some of the calories before the work out and have something high protien afterwards. I never feel like eating anything heavy after a work out myself but the protien helps control the tummy growls and also to rebuild your muscles (apparently!)
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    You could have a veggie chili after your work out. Easy to make ahead and freeze, all you have to do is pop it in the microwave or heat it up in a pot and you're eating a warm, satisfying meal in no time!
  • macnotes
    My girlfriend said she learned from weight watchers that we should only be eating about 1/2 of your exercise earned calories. That would make it easier to get in the calories after the workout.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Sometimes, I put in my anticipated exercise earlier in the day to see how many calories I'll have to work with and then adjust after I do the actual workout. I don't eat all of the calories before the workout. And I generally allow for about 100 extra calories for dinner (after workout) if I know I'll be working out hard.

Right now, I'm set for a 2lb per week deficit and eating almost all of my exercise calories. Using a HRM to determine calories burned. I just started it, so I can't really say how well it's working.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I would experiment and find what your preference is. Eating late at night is fine if you stay within your daily targets. The whole concept of avoiding carbs or calories at night is basically crap.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I would eat some of those calories earlier in the day, especially if I knew I was going to be burning them.

It doesn't matter how late you eat.

I think they only reason its said not to eat to late is that it interferes with your sleep patterns if your body is busy digesting big food like steak.
    I am lucky in that I can eat right before I go to bed and still sleep like a rock. My husband is not so lucky. If he eats too late, he is up till 2am.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    I enter half my workout in the morning so that I can eat back those calories through out the day. Whether it is blessed by science or not, I just don't like eating that many right before bed. I'd rather spread them out through the day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    You may be taking "eating back exercise calories" too literally. You don't have to literally eat those particular calories back after your workout. You can spread all your calories throughout your day however YOU feel is optimal for yourself. If you know you will be exercising that day, you can budget more cals in earlier, if you want to.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    I've often wondered about the sleeping after a meal thing or the carbs later at night. Didn't make a bunch of sense to me, but maybe it's because you're more likely to over-eat the carbs at that time of night?

This is what I think, too. Insulin production naturally slows in the evening, and it's easy to carb overload late at night when you're tired and looking for a little bit of energy.