Confused about JM 30 Days Shred

Options
I did about 10 days of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred a few weeks ago before I developed really bad tendonitis in my foot -- yes it was because of the DVD, but only because a major tendon in my right foot hasnt been used like that due to a hip disorder I have -- Anyways... I sweat my *kitten* off, breathe heavily, and even have to take a few very short breaks just to recharge while doing the video, which I started again today. However, I have little to no soreness the following day. To be honest, aside from the usual pain in my hip, and now my foot, my body feels completely relaxed. I see so often people post about how they cant walk the next day and they have so much soreness all over their body. It makes me feel like Im going something wrong, but I do everything exactly as Jillian and the girls do it so I dont understand. Im using 5 lb weights. Maybe I should use 8 lbs?

Is anyone else getting a good workout, but not feeling sore the next day? And if so, did you get results, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're getting the cardio part of it but not the muscle building. i haven't done 30DS but i've heard that its focused more on weight loss not building so maybe you're doing it correctly? I have ripped in 30 and it focus's more on building muscle as well as the cardio and it KILLED my arms. maybe you could try that video? its actually has four seperate workouts so the moves get harder and build on your skills as you work through it.
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are sweating and feeling like you are getting a workout at the time you are doing fine. I have been doing the 30DS since like Feb. 22 and I currently do levels 1 and 3 back to back and I don't feel sore anymore but I can definately tell the difference in my strength and see a difference in my body shape. I haven't been sore though since it went away after about day 3. I was feeling like 20 minutes wasn't enough so I started on day 8 doing level 1 and 2 back to back and that has helped me to feel like I am doing enough. Also another thing I noticed I recover a lot faster nowadays. That can sometimes be misleading but I think it'a a good thing. :-)
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    sounds like you're getting the cardio part of it but not the muscle building. i haven't done 30DS but i've heard that its focused more on weight loss not building so maybe you're doing it correctly? I have ripped in 30 and it focus's more on building muscle as well as the cardio and it KILLED my arms. maybe you could try that video? its actually has four seperate workouts so the moves get harder and build on your skills as you work through it.

That's sounds about right. I planned on doing RI30 after 30DS. I hope I see some nice changes by July 15th.

Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • SMK715
    Options
    I think as long as you are sweating and feeling like you are getting a workout at the time you are doing fine. I have been doing the 30DS since like Feb. 22 and I currently do levels 1 and 3 back to back and I don't feel sore anymore but I can definately tell the difference in my strength and see a difference in my body shape. I haven't been sore though since it went away after about day 3. I was feeling like 20 minutes wasn't enough so I started on day 8 doing level 1 and 2 back to back and that has helped me to feel like I am doing enough. Also another thing I noticed I recover a lot faster nowadays. That can sometimes be misleading but I think it'a a good thing. :-)

I did a day of level 2 and struggled a few weeks ago, but I heard level 3 is sort of a cake walk. Maybe when I get to level 3 ill try doing 2 levels every day.
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Some people say level 3 is easier. I think it's harder because there is a lot of jumping. I sprained my ankle back in Sept. and it's still not 100% and my knee on the same leg gives me trouble too so any kind of jumping is harder for me. Truthfully I don't think any of them are easy, they just get a little bit easier the more you do them, but I still sweat like crazy and struggle with all of the levels. I still struggle with jumping jacks and the jump rope....EVERYTIME!! :-)
  • SMK715
    Options
    Some people say level 3 is easier. I think it's harder because there is a lot of jumping. I sprained my ankle back in Sept. and it's still not 100% and my knee on the same leg gives me trouble too so any kind of jumping is harder for me. Truthfully I don't think any of them are easy, they just get a little bit easier the more you do them, but I still sweat like crazy and struggle with all of the levels. I still struggle with jumping jacks and the jump rope....EVERYTIME!! :-)

Gotcha.. yeah jumping isnt easy on my leg at all so I suppose it wont be a breeze. Thats better though. I dont want to work all this time just to blow through the final level.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I, too, don't know much about the 30DS (although I do have the DVD - just haven't done it yet) - I am currently doing Ripped in 30 - on week 2, day 3 - and my arms (like another poster said) are KILLING me!! But I am starting to see some results there, I think!!! Good luck with whatever you do - maybe up the weights for 30 DS. When you do the weight portion, are you finding the moves fairly effortless? If so, try to up it. :)
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just posted something similar. I'm never sore the next day nor do I sweat when I this DVD. I DO breathe hard as hell though.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the 30 Day Shred in years - BUT - I have been doing her "No More Trouble Zones", which you use weights with, and her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism". Both are really good. The "Banish Fat..." one leaves me with sore legs the next day where I can barely get out of bed. Not sure what exact move it is, but this DVD works your butt off. Maybe give them a try. Both DVD's are about 55 minutes with warm up and cool down. And, both make me break a sweat, and I'm in very good shape!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Your muscles have probably become accustomed to the workout. First time I did it I ached all over, now I can do any of JM's workouts and not feel sore at all afterwards! I still have sweat dripping off me and shake when using the weights but I don't need the recovery time I used to.

Just thought I'd add, by 'any' I mean the ones that I own:
    The 30 Day Shred
    Ripped in 30
    No More Trouble Zones
    Banish Fat Boost Metabolism
  • shawnadwyer
    shawnadwyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    when I started the 30ds I thought I was gonna die however after a few days into I thought it was alright I really liked the cardio part, so then I moved on to level 2 and I hated it, I did not find I got a good work out from it so I went back to level one again, tommrow I will be starting level 3.
  • SMK715
    Options
    I haven't done the 30 Day Shred in years - BUT - I have been doing her "No More Trouble Zones", which you use weights with, and her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism". Both are really good. The "Banish Fat..." one leaves me with sore legs the next day where I can barely get out of bed. Not sure what exact move it is, but this DVD works your butt off. Maybe give them a try. Both DVD's are about 55 minutes with warm up and cool down. And, both make me break a sweat, and I'm in very good shape!

When you say both DVDs are 55 minutes, do you mean each of them are 55 minutes or both of them together are 55 minutes?
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Yeah, same here. But i work out a lot and my muscles are pretty use to it. Only time i am sore is if i work out really hard and do not stretch afterwards or if i work a muscle i never work out.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

This. Try Ripped in 30 - it's updated and more intense. Also consider upping your weights to 8 lbs. Good luck!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options

When you say both DVDs are 55 minutes, do you mean each of them are 55 minutes or both of them together are 55 minutes?

Each one is 55 minutes long.