Need a new hobby for summer - what's yours?

Options
I'm trying to decide what to blow my income and calories on these upcoming summer weekends. I've thought about taking up kiteboarding, but it sure isn't cheap and isn't the most social sport in the world.

Ocean kayaking is pretty fun, but it's damn cold here in the water.

What's everyone else planning on doing?

Replies

• RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing (unless you already do it)! It's awesome and a great workout. Find a partner or group of people who want to try it out and get your butt up that wall. =D
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing (unless you already do it)! It's awesome and a great workout. Find a partner or group of people who want to try it out and get your butt up that wall. =D

Good idea! I've actually never been.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The water may be cold here, but I will still be kayaking! :smile:
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I took up running! Can be social, can be solo!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would like to try out gardening once and for all.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to pick up paddle boarding. I heard its pretty easy but I figure inbetween races I'll need something relaxing to do.

Oh and they are opening up one of those trampoline places by my work so I'm looking into an adult 3D dodgeball league too!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Indoor or outdoor? I may or may not have some knowledge concerning certain gardening techniques...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Indoor or outdoor? I may or may not have some knowledge concerning certain gardening techniques...

outdoor. the yard is a total mess, but it's also basically a clean slate. would like to put in some raised beds and some veggies. and, sadly, probably get rid of my hops since i'm not brewing these days.
  • SkrillexFan
    Options
    Surfing is one of my favorite hobbies, and its a killer workout mainly for your abs and upper body, but its great for legs too
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

outdoor. the yard is a total mess, but it's also basically a clean slate. would like to put in some raised beds and some veggies. and, sadly, probably get rid of my hops since i'm not brewing these days.

OMG - you're such a nerd :heart:

They teach indoor growing in public school here (NO JOKE) in 2nd grade. My daughter could get you all set up :wink:
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Geocaching. It's a great way to find wonderful out of the way places, get exercise, have fun and meet interesting people. It can be as easy or as hard as you like - both mentally and physically.

Geocaching is a world wide treasure hunt using a GPS. You probably pass geocaches every day and don't even know they are there. You can geocache in the city or in the wild outdoors. They are everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFeYZTTYs
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide what to blow my income and calories on these upcoming summer weekends.

Horses and boats are both incredible money sucking endeavors. Fun - but pricey!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'll probably stick with homebrewing and hammock-lounging... but I also like to hike and play frisbee.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Geocaching. It's a great way to find wonderful out of the way places, get exercise, have fun and meet interesting people. It can be as easy or as hard as you like - both mentally and physically.

Geocaching is a world wide treasure hunt using a GPS. You probably pass geocaches every day and don't even know they are there. You can geocache in the city or in the wild outdoors. They are everywhere.

I was going to say this too!! Love this activity!!!
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    Pfft! save your money and go on a different hike every weekend! its so much fun and nice being out in the wilderness. Other then that, I would definitely try rock climbing and throw in some 5ks! I am doing Run for Your Life this year and am suppppeeerrr excited for it but need to train, train train ! I don't want any zombies getting me :(
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'll probably stick with homebrewing and hammock-lounging... but I also like to hike and play frisbee.

Hammock lounging, now we're talking :love:
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just had summer! We are on our way into winter so I'm getting into some winter hobbies (sewing, knitting, snowboarding, bikram yoga) but in the summer I was getting into gardening quite a bit. Next summer I'm going to learn to surf and perhaps stand up paddleboard if I can find a friend to do it with :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Geocaching.

I saw this recently in a movie called "Splinterheads". Looks fun - the ones in my neighborhood are probably just a creative way of selling drugs but I will give it a shot somewhere a bit more remote.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I was going to say this too!! Love this activity!!!

I love this idea

I would love to set up an underwater cache. That would throw people!
  • lynniesue42
    Options
    I would like to give hiking a try and then casual travel (aka stay-cations)!