Need advice on buying a Sport Bike

Options
LadyBugLex17
LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
I just passed my bike course this weekend :) I won't be buying a bike until October, but I want some input from you experienced riders!
I'm thinking about a 250 or 500 Kawasaki Ninja. What is a good, lightweight starter bike for a female. I don't want a Liter bike or even a 600 yet.:noway:

But HELP ME! :smile:

Replies

• WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Why sport bike instead of like a street bike/cruiser?

You do not want a 250, not enough power to get out of tight situations.
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    I have always wanted a sport bike. KTM would be a good choice, but I want a Sport Bike now and I'm definitely willing to get a cruiser later in life....I heard that about 250s as well. I want to gain more skill and don't plan on riding as if I had alot of skill right off the bat.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you do not want a 250.

Too many people make the mistake of buying something with a smaller motor for a "beginner" bike. You will outgrow it in a week.

If you still want to do this, buy a cheap used bike on craigslist for about $1000. Ride it for a week until you prove me right, then sell it for $1000 and go buy something you actually like.

Good luck!
  • WingMan380
    Options
    I made the mistake of getting a 250 took me a week to figure out I had made a big mistake. A month later came across a Honda Goldwing, took it for a test drive and fell in love. Took me 18 months to sell the 250 and took a hugh loss.
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    I think I'm going to go with a Suzuki DRZ400. bigger, but not too big. dual sport seems like it would be more fun..... thoughts?
  • WingMan380
    Options
    Take a look at the Suzuki S40. 600cc
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of awesome 'naked' bikes that are awesome. They don't have the same outright hp as the sports bikes of the sane size but the technology a d development is just the same. Have you considered a triumph street triple, or one of the Ducati monster range. Just a suggestion, way better looking than the Suzuki, unless your going ride off road, often and only light grade trails don't get a dual sport. Decide on the style of riding you'll do the most and get the best possible bike you can. The triple will have all the power you will ever really need, brake harder than you'll ever stop and you will look as hell riding it ;-)
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    I'm intimated by anything bigger than a 500cc honestly. i have 6 months until im going to actually go out looking and test riding... I guess I really won't know what i LIKE until then.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    That's fair enough. They only go as fast as you let them, but I def understand where your coming from. I thought my bike was a missile when I first got it, but now it feels docile and you def get desensitised to thr sensation of speed.

Test ride heaps of bikes.

Buy something you can grow into, not something you will out grow quickly.
  • Lee510
    Lee510 Posts: 46
    Options
    Definitely buy something used, 500 cc or less. It won't matter if it's a little rough around the edges. Someone may have dropped it and you may too. If it's not brand new or pristine condition, it won't hurt your feelings near as bad if you drop it. I diagree about the 250 being too small and you'll outgrow it. Sure it won't go over 80 mph, but there aren't that many roads where you can do that anyway. The 250 Ninja is light, nimble and plenty of power.

I recommend the MSF Basic Course if you haven't taken it. The facility provides a 250cc motorcycle. Most have helmets available, but you may want to bring your own. Long sleeves, long pants, and boots that cover the ankle are required. Once you get ready for the road, buy some quality riding gear and wear it. Armored jacket, full-face helmet, gloves and boots. Pants too for full protection. I was wearing mine on 11/10/10 when a 17 year old kid drove into my path and right into the side of my BMW K1200 LT. The bike was demolished and I hit the road hard. The gear did what it was supposed to do and kept me from getting scraped up. I'm ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to go with a Suzuki DRZ400. bigger, but not too big. dual sport seems like it would be more fun..... thoughts?

The DRZ400 in dual sport or supermoto trim is a hoot to ride. Be aware though, it's tall, I'm 5'8" and it's toed on both sides in DS trim and just the balls of my feet in SM trim.

A 250 has plenty of power, so long as you learn to use it. It's close to the DRZ400 power-wise and has a higher top speed that the DRZ400. DRZ400 = 34HP, Ninja 250 = 32HP.

Also, the engine size alone does not dictate power. A Ninja 600 (ZX6R) is WAY more powerful than a Ninja 650R. I often recommend the 650R to new riders as an alternative to the aging Ninja 500R. It's not changed in years, thing 1980s technology.

Stay away from the inline-4 600 and bigger (race replica) bikes. They are VERY powerful and in the hands on an inexperienced rider, can be dangerous. Ask me how I know.

A fun and non-intimidating bike that is an absolute hoot to ride is a Honda Hawk 650. They're old and somewhat hard to find but make and awesome sporty ride. They low, nimble, relatively light and can be a great learner bike that you'll not want to get rid of next week.

In the end, it's your money.

JM

JM
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy something used, 500 cc or less. It won't matter if it's a little rough around the edges. Someone may have dropped it and you may too. If it's not brand new or pristine condition, it won't hurt your feelings near as bad if you drop it. I diagree about the 250 being too small and you'll outgrow it. Sure it won't go over 80 mph, but there aren't that many roads where you can do that anyway. The 250 Ninja is light, nimble and plenty of power.

Solid advice right there. Don't get hung up on power, all of the bikes mentioned in this thread are capable of breaking the speed limit on any roads. A 250 might strain a bit going up a hill when riding with a passenger but as a new rider, you should ride solo for a good while anyway until your balance and throttle control are fine tuned. I have friends who have the Ninja 250 & the CBR 250 from Honda & they say they're a blast. The most important thing is to get a bike that you're confident with and go from there. Remember, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.