1200 Calories hmm

Options
I know a ton of people post about calories. But here I am and honestly I think I am starting to starve myself. I have stayed within the 1200 guidelines that I get but today I ate healthy all day and I only have 200 left. I do workout everyday and I am about to do My 30 minute cardio and strength dvd and then an hour walk that gives me about 300 calories back. I have been told that your are not suppose to eat your excersize calories back. Really?? I think I would starve to death. I wonder how some people get 2000 calories and I only get 1200 lol. Somedays I am under my goal and I am not hungry but today I want a good dinner. I am a self made chef and love food. I have tried some of the skinny taste recipes and none have replaced what I can make. I am generally a healthy cook besides the butter I sometimes put in. I miss my food, I miss potatoes and bacon. I am starting to think that the calorie count is wrong for me. I am 5'9 and I weigh 160 I am hoping to get to 150 or 145 I have been at this 3 weeks I can tell I have lost some weight but the scale at the gym is under repair until tomorrow to weigh myself so I have not done a weigh in, in 10 days. Do you think it is ok if I use the calories I lost in excersize? Do you also think I may have the wrong calorie count? I am at average weight for my height. I am not going for super skinny I am really just wanting to lose the belly fat and love handles I have aquired over the last year and fit back into my summer clothes. I am a bit of a rambler but at least I am not thinking about eating.

Replies

• ctway09
    ctway09 Posts: 2
    Options
    As long as there is a deficit at the end of the day you should be headed toward your goal. Depending on my workout I'll have an extra snack, but I try to end the day with calories to boot. Good luck with your weight loss, and remember these are only guidelines. You know your body better than anyone, and if you're hungry eat. The worst thing you can do is make your body think it's starving because then all of your food will turn to fat, and you'll have an even harder time.

Also, I know it seems trite, but you didn't gain weight in 3 weeks, and you won't lose it in 3 weeks either. I'm currently 50lbs overweight and I've been trying hard, but I've only lost 5 lbs (which I've probably gained back because I haven't been logging/ paying attention). Good luck!!
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You actually should net 1200 calories a day. If you exercise and burn off 300 calories, you are actually supposed to eat that back. The purpose of exercise is to improve health and physique, and to increase muscle mass and decrease fat. I get 1400 a day, and workout 300-400, and always keep my net above 1200. Actually, if your net goes below 1200 it can cause electrolyte disturbances, and some health issues, and is not safe. I don't always eat back all of my exercise calories, but I always make sure my net is 1200 minimum. Hope this makes sense. You probably are so hungry if your net is below 1200 a day. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey, but my advice, eat more!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Who in the heck told you NOT to eat back exercise calories??
    At 1200 net calories per day, you are already in plenty of a deficit to lose weight. Some might even advise that you increase daily calories. At any rate, exercising when you are already eating fewer calories than you body burns in a day means that you should absolutely be eating back those exercise calories in order to have the energy to continue working out.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to eat all my exercise cals back, so I try and eat them all if I can (which is sometimes difficult if I'm full up), but I mostly try and leave a few green numbers.

When you complete your diary for the day, it says that you're not using all your calories up, and sometimes this causes a plateau.

Good luck. :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At 1200 net calories per day, you are already in plenty of a deficit to lose weight. Some might even advise that you increase daily calories. At any rate, exercising when you are already eating fewer calories than you body burns in a day means that you should absolutely be eating back those exercise calories in order to have the energy to continue working out.

^^ this.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I'll second this ^^^^^^^^
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You have to find out what works for you. Some people do ok without eating back their workout calories... When I first started MFP I didn't really eat them back and after the initial weight loss I plateaued. I started eating most of them back and I'm losing weight again AND i feel SO MUCH BETTER. Try eating them back and see what happens in a week or two
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you go below 1000 net calories for just one day out of the week, your metabolism will slow down and you won't lose weight. So you do need to eat some of your exercise calories back. I go for greek yogurt or some almonds a lot of times.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Eat those exercise calories!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I know a ton of people post about calories. But here I am and honestly I think I am starting to starve myself. I have stayed within the 1200 guidelines that I get but today I ate healthy all day and I only have 200 left. I do workout everyday and I am about to do My 30 minute cardio and strength dvd and then an hour walk that gives me about 300 calories back. I have been told that your are not suppose to eat your excersize calories back. Really?? I think I would starve to death. I wonder how some people get 2000 calories and I only get 1200 lol. Somedays I am under my goal and I am not hungry but today I want a good dinner. I am a self made chef and love food. I have tried some of the skinny taste recipes and none have replaced what I can make. I am generally a healthy cook besides the butter I sometimes put in. I miss my food, I miss potatoes and bacon. I am starting to think that the calorie count is wrong for me. I am 5'9 and I weigh 160 I am hoping to get to 150 or 145 I have been at this 3 weeks I can tell I have lost some weight but the scale at the gym is under repair until tomorrow to weigh myself so I have not done a weigh in, in 10 days. Do you think it is ok if I use the calories I lost in excersize? Do you also think I may have the wrong calorie count? I am at average weight for my height. I am not going for super skinny I am really just wanting to lose the belly fat and love handles I have aquired over the last year and fit back into my summer clothes. I am a bit of a rambler but at least I am not thinking about eating.

I am not a doctor, or a nutritionist, so am only giving you my opinion - for your weight and height, you are eating way to little at 1200 (you will get people arguing otherwise however). I am 5 6' and weigh 175lb and am on 1700 calories AND eat back my exercise calories and am losing weight.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you go below 1000 net calories for just one day out of the week, your metabolism will slow down and you won't lose weight. So you do need to eat some of your exercise calories back. I go for greek yogurt or some almonds a lot of times.

Thats probably an exaggeration.
  • tammyz1971
    Options
    Drink LOTS and LOTS of water! AND what everyone else says :) The water will help you to feel full and keep you hydrated as to not dehydrate. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I am not a doctor, or a nutritionist, so am only giving you my opinion - for your weight and height, you are eating way to little at 1200 (you will get people arguing otherwise however). I am 5 6' and weigh 175lb and am on 1700 calories AND eat back my exercise calories and am losing weight.

^^^ This. I eat 1700 also. And I eat my exercise calories, or at least half when I can. I'm 5'7" and 190.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS eat back those exercise calories! Listen to those above that say it too :happy:
    I weigh 151lbs and I currently eat 1600 on NON-exercise days for a 0.5lb loss a week. And I eat my exercise calories back too.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said....eat! And a life without potatoes and bacon--- not worth living. Seriously, don't deprive yourself, fit the foods you love into your lifestyle. Nothing should be off limits, if you plan it in. Good luck!
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    EAT your exercise calories. Your MFP is set so that if you stick to the cals you will lose (ie a lb a week or 2 lb per week etc whatever you have set it to). That is if you eat all your allowed calories as well as your exercise cals.
    If you only eat 1200 cals a day then exercise for 600 cals and dont eat them back, you are effectively only eating 600 cals = starvation.
    Eat to live! :-)
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say eat back most of your exercise calories. Try to leave a 100 calorie buffer but note I didn't today (only 50 cal buffer) But if you feel weak or hungry eat those exercise cals back..you earned them.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie deficit and then you get your calorie count for the day, it is ok to eat back your exercise calories, I do all the time, at least enough to get me to net 1200 calories per day. Today I ate 1800 calories, but a few weeks ago I ate 2300 calories (when my calorie goal was higher, right now it's 1540 or so, was 1690)

if you're hungry eat, if you're craving something it is ok to have it, it's better to indulge a little than to go and pig out a hour later or day later, or whatnot.

i find it hard some days to eat even 1200 calories, but I still try to make myself.
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Someone said to not let your net calories fall below 1200. I have done that for a couple of days this week so if I happen to go over my 1200 calories on other days, then at the end of the week it should balance out and I should still lose, correct?

One reason is that how do you know if you can count the calories that mfp says you have lost to be actual...What if you are burning less than what mfp gives you, then you might be going over your 1200 anyway...and then you will not lose.

Any comments, help? Just wondering...
  • JenniferCiardo
    Options
    EAT your workout calories you burned....I have been doing the program for 6 weeks and lost 8 pounds... I ususally burn 300 calories a day in exercise and YES i use my points in food. I would not do the program if I couldn't use my exercise calories.... no way.... USE THEM and you will totally feel better and lose weight!!!!

Jenn-Tallahassee Florida