New polar FT7

Options
Got the new polar FT7. Used it on my 40 min bike ride and shows I'm burning 850 cal. Pretty much matched what I was listing by MFP database.

This includes 40 min bike and an additional 20 min exercises

1 hour duration
998 cal
Heart rate was between 155-186
Fat burn 7:13
Fitness 53:01

Is the burn good or bad?

Replies

• 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yes it a good burn. you won't cheat yourself if you coast or rest.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wore my polar FT7 while I slept and it has me burning calories at a rate of 126 cal/HR at rest. Thats 3024 cal a day at rest which seems high or I'm burning some serious calories right now. Which may be why I'm losing about 3-4 pound a week. My at rest HR my be higher due to the amout of activity I have been doing.

If I check my BMR with on online tool and add the activity level of " Moderately strenuous exercise 3-5 days a week it has BMR at 1988 and with activity my calorie need is 3081.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM 13 hrs today.. 8 hours seating behind a desk with a 1/2 hr walk 1.5 miles uphill. Another few hours cooking and working outside and a 2 mile bike ride.

The polar states I burned 3870 calories. Could that be correct?
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM 13 hrs today.. 8 hours seating behind a desk with a 1/2 hr walk 1.5 miles uphill. Another few hours cooking and working outside and a 2 mile bike ride.

The polar states I burned 3870 calories. Could that be correct?
    Hrm are more accurate with exercise. If you want an all day burn look into something like body bugg or fitbit.
    Depending on your size and effort that seems normal.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    HRM are not meant to be used as tools for entire day calorie calculations. feel free to use them during times of strenuous exercise (like biking, workout dvds, anything you do to add to the 'exercise' section here)

but everyday life is not one of the uses intended for the HRM. I have worn mine 24 hr (polar ft7, too) and it claimed I burned 4000+ calories (can't remember exactly, it was last year). I know that if I eat 4000 calories daily I will gain weight, not maintain, like the numbers were telling me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think wearing it during a 24 hour period can be helpful if you want to have an idea what your base calorie needs are. i did it with my ft7 and choose a day when i pretty much just woke up, went to work, came home and slept . i used that number as the starting point to determine how many calories i'd need to eat in order to lose 1.5-2 pounds per week.

so far it's been accurate plus it's a much higher than the number MFP gave me. i'd personally prefer to eat as much food as i can :laugh: