HMR Help

Options
So I am thinking that I would really like an HRM. However, I have looked and looked and I can't find information on any of them as to how big the chest strap goes. I want to make sure one will fit before I buy it. What is the average biggest size in inches that the chest straps go on HRMs?

**Sorry, just realized I put HMR instead of HRM in the title....:embarassed:

Replies

• jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    So I am thinking that I would really like an HRM. However, I have looked and looked and I can't find information on any of them as to how big the chest strap goes. I want to make sure one will fit before I buy it. What is the average biggest size in inches that the chest straps go on HRMs?

**Sorry, just realized I put HMR instead of HRM in the title....:embarassed:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My Reebok measures 43 inches when laid out on the table. The monitor part is about 13 inches the rest of the strap is elastic and could stretch quite far. It is adjustable also so that it can measure less than 43 inches. Hope this helps, but definately get one with the chest strap. I had one on my wrist it was hard to get it to measure and you had to measure often during exercise and it was not programmable to my height and weight. Watch places like woot.com and overstock.com for good deals. I bought mine from Amazon for $70 and the next day another sight had similar ones for a lot less. Hope this helps!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    HMR, lol, I thought there was some new Acronym that I hadn't heard yet. :tongue:

I wouldn't worry too much about the strap, they make them adjustable and they stretch. I haven't heard of one not fitting someone yet.

As to which ones, I love my polar, as does my wife. I have heard the rebok one is pretty good too, and the timex one too, but I have no first hand experience with them. Polar has a ton of them, the F4 is a good basic one, the F4 is a good basic model, and the FT40 and the F7 are great if you need a little better product. They are moderately priced, F4s usually go for about 80 bucks (60 if you can find one on ebay or amazon) and the F7 is about 120 or so retail, but sooooo worth it. You will never regret it if you get an F7 or an FT40 (my wife has an FT40, she LOVES it).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I can't find the info on mine (Reebok Precision XT) but my chest strap is as tight as it will go and I measure at 34''.

I wouldn't want to go as far as to say you could double that number (when expanding the strap to it's loosest) but I would say you could easily add 75% back in.... making it .... ooh no, math!!... 34 x 1.75 = 59.5'' .... can probably round that up to 60'' even.

Lemme take that number back. Part of my chest strap is the plastic receptacle piece. Let's say you could add 50% extra, so 34'' x 1.5 = 51''. I'd say that number is more than reasonable for the Reebok chest strap.

Even at that, the strap is stretchy and make to give a little. It's not "visible" for females (necessarily) -- I wear mine around my chest so that it falls under the bottom band of my sports bra.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My Reebok measures 43 inches when laid out on the table. The monitor part is about 13 inches the rest of the strap is elastic and could stretch quite far. It is adjustable also so that it can measure less than 43 inches. Hope this helps, but definately get one with the chest strap. I had one on my wrist it was hard to get it to measure and you had to measure often during exercise and it was not programmable to my height and weight. Watch places like woot.com and overstock.com for good deals. I bought mine from Amazon for $70 and the next day another sight had similar ones for a lot less. Hope this helps!

Oh wow, my estimates were way off!!!

*goes to pull out her strap and measure, even if she IS at work :laugh: *

EDIT: Wow, I'm amazed. Sure enough, 43'' with the elastic band left laying flat (i.e. no pulling it).

For fun, I stretched my band out, pulling it with my hand, hard enough to simulate if it were stretched around me and pulled tight, but not enough that I was struggling with it (if that makes any sense). I measured it, utilizing the stretch in the elastic at 60'' plus the 13'' for the plastic receptacle piece, so a total of 73'' circumference.
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! I kinda figured the back parts of them were stretchy but it's hard to tell in the little pictures online. I think I'm going to check a few out today while I'm shopping.
    Thanks again!