Jogging on treadmill vs outside

Options

Replies

• misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I personally love my new treadmill. It really helped me through the cold winter months. I also really loved a good early morning jog around the truck watching the sun rise. I find running outside harder because of the terrain changes and because I'm such a clutz it's way more dangerous as I tend to slip on loose gravel and catch my feet on the lip of a sidewalk and do my version of superman flying through the air. Hence the track in the wee morning hours.

Outside is great in passing the time because the scenery is constantly changing as well as the workout. Treadmills are great at forcing you to stay on pace though even when you would normally start to "lag".

All in all I think it's just personal preference. I enjoy both and mix them up to prevent boredom. I also walk/jog/run every chance I get whether it's a quick jog at lunch, or a nice run after dinner in front of the TV.

Happy spring All!:bigsmile:
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I do 99.99999 % of my runs on a treadmill. When I do venture out onto streets I find it much harder. Even on a flat course you have lumps and bumps that you don't get on a treadmill.

I wear glasses usually, but on my treadmill I dont bother as I don't need to see anything - horrible when running on streets. I also hated having to twist around to check for traffic when crossing the road.

What is harder on a treadmill though is the pacing. Out on the road you can slow up a bit or speed up very subconsciously - on the treadmill you have to find your pace and actively push numbers up and down. True you don't get any wind resistance - but you also don't get any wind - it is soooo hot by the time I finish my run. There is no fear of embarassment for me at home jogging away - and I can do it regardless of the weather.
    I will eventually venture out there but I love my treadmill!
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honest answer? It entirely depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your work out.

If you're training only to boost your cardiovascular system, then heart rate is really the key, and it will make little difference which you use. That being said unless you have a heart rate monitor most treadmills have these built in so you can be sure to hit your max and really get a good work out.

If however you're looking for a complete fitness work out, running outside is going to do a lot more in terms of strength training and endurance for your legs. It's much more varied, and requires a good amount more muscle than a treadmill would. You average person can only last about half as long outside as on a treadmill because of this.

Personally I use what is available, both are still going to get you into excellent shape. If a treadmill is more convenient, and you're more likely to stick with it, then go for that!

Hope this helps.
    Z
  • dianacrum
    dianacrum Posts: 67
    Options
    I have always done my running on a treadmill (I am training for a 5K), then last weekend it was so nice outside I decided to run outside....i wanted to DIE!! It was sooo much harder and my body definately felt the difference afterwards!! But....because of the way I felt after doing it, it makes me want to do it again! I felt the different muscles in my body being used, especially in my core!
    I def enjoyed the view much better than the gym!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would think running on the treadmill is harder, just like everyone else on here.

I am now only using the treadmill and haven't been running outside in years, mostly as I run when my child sleeps and I couldn't leave her home alone to do the outside running.

I miss the outside but not the heat and humidity that I have to deal with during the summer. I started to watch TV shows on my treadmill (strapped the portable DVD player to it) and that made the work-outs so much easier. I don't get the relaxing letting-my-mind-wander feeling as I used to get running outside.

Since I have problems with my sciatica walking inside is much better for me as I can stop if my sciatica kicks in at any time. Outside, I had to stop far away from home and limp home if I was able to walk at all.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Honest answer? It entirely depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your work out.

If you're training only to boost your cardiovascular system, then heart rate is really the key, and it will make little difference which you use. That being said unless you have a heart rate monitor most treadmills have these built in so you can be sure to hit your max and really get a good work out.

If however you're looking for a complete fitness work out, running outside is going to do a lot more in terms of strength training and endurance for your legs. It's much more varied, and requires a good amount more muscle than a treadmill would. You average person can only last about half as long outside as on a treadmill because of this.

Personally I use what is available, both are still going to get you into excellent shape. If a treadmill is more convenient, and you're more likely to stick with it, then go for that!

Hope this helps.
    Z

This brings up another question...I do have an HRM. And sometimes I exceed by target MAX heartrate. I'm 37 so it should be 183, correct? I frequently exceed that on the longer running stretches - usually my max is between 186 and 192. How bad is that? It's usually only that high for a couple minutes, but I suspect it will happen more often as I lengthen the runs.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is great since it sets it's pace for you. Can be really boring, I watch my DVR'd TV shows or rock out to music. I usually never do more than 30 mins. I adjust the incline to vary my workout/difficultly.

Outside you have to set your own pace, learn to control your breathing (I get side-stitch if I don't), the terrain is more difficult, and I struggle to dress appropriately. I will in WI and it's quite hilly here.

Running outside is a bigger challange and I tend to push myself harderi than running indoors on a treadmill.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I rarely use my treadmill any more, I prefer the great outdoors - even in the dead of winter.

Treadmills are convenient, you never need to worry about the weather etc but they tend to encourage running with a longer stride which results in poor form (heel striking). You'll hear lots of things about heel striking causing greater stress on your body (which is true (but it's still debatable as to whether or not it promotes injuries) the biggest argument against heel striking is that it's inefficient - you're effectively putting on the brakes for a split second with each stride. I'm not a barefoot or chi runner but firmly believe a midfoot strike with a faster foot turnover is just a more efficient way to run.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I can go either way, I zone out on the treadmill and try not to think about being indoors. When I run outside its the same thing!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is definitely easier as far as keeping your pace but I think that outside is easier as in less boring.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure if it was a contributing factor, but I was fine running outside all spring and summer and early fall, but got a stress fracture as soon as the weather turned and I started running on the treadmill more. My stride is too different on a treadmill.

I've also realized that, as sweaty, gross and overheated as I get while running on the dreadmill, I'd rather run outside in 20 degree temps than swelter inside.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I prefer outside because I run farther and longer. I have a few loops I do, so I am forced to keep going until I get back to my car, whereas on the treadmill I get bored and am more likely so stop before my body tells me to. Plus I work inside all day, so it gets me out when the weather is nice.
    I do prefer the treadmill for running intervals and challenging myself for speed. I'll go faster on a treadmill for 30 seconds than I think I would on the road, and I like having the timer right there for different types of workouts.
    Also, I live in Texas, so in a few months I'll be all treadmill when it gets too hot to run outside even early in the morning.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Its way harder outside until you learn to pace yourself. You tend to run much faster and the hills show up whenever they want not when you want!!

This is very true...I live on a mountain in the city which has MULTIPLE hills on said mountain...wish I could time it to when I want them, but you just can't ever figure it out! I prefer outdoors vs. treadmill, as I'm EXTREMELY bored on the treadmill (unless there's a show on that I like, and there's a TV near). I don't have a TV in my basement, which is where my treadmill is, so I just take it outdoors unless the weather is crazy.

Those are some brutal hills for sure. When I was MUCH younger, I used to ride my bike from the South Side to the Mount. Much more fun coasting back down! :tongue:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    it is harder outdoors. I've heard that it helps if you keep the treadmill on a slight incline- like 3 degrees or something.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The motion of the belt replaces a lot of the work that the hamstrings and gluteals do when running on a non-moving surface.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Its way harder outside until you learn to pace yourself. You tend to run much faster and the hills show up whenever they want not when you want!!

This is my issue! I run on the treadmill most of the time due to my knees. I find when I do run outside, I have to glance at my GPS watch frequently to keep a steady pace.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can't go more then 3.5 on my super cheap pos treadmill. One the tread mill cant handle it and even with just my weight, a small women, it sounds like its going to die. Two my feet and shins kill on the treadmill. They wouldn't be so bad if the incline was not stuck at max lol.

So currently I am walking about 3.5 up hill for 2.5 miles outside, then turning around and attempting to jog most of the way home. I live in the mountains so everything is a hill. I reserve walking on the treadmill for a few hours to when I cant get outside due to weather or kids.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill, so if I run inside, I turn on the radio and run little laps through my living room, kitchen and dining room, which seems too easy. I live in the country, too, but some of the paved roads have been upgraded to include a 2 ft. shoulder on each side, which allows me to move over when motorists pass. Running outside gives me rolling hills and nice scenery. Right now, the bluebonnets and other wildflowers are in bloom, and I wave to the neighbors and passersby. If the roads are bad, maybe you could clear a running path around the fence line on your property. That would burn some calories! I need to clear a path so I can keep a better eye on fence repairs that need to be made.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I like both equally actually but for different reasons. I love the treadmill, it's private and I watch what I want and zone out on it.

Outside, I play a psych game and tell myself everyone is judging me, I can not stop, must keep running!

In the end, whatever works and motivates you to keep going.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've never done any running outdoors, & I'm obviously in the minority, but I love running on the treadmill. I crank up the tunes, set the incline to 2.0-2.5 & go. I don't have to worry about the terrain, traffic, weather, dogs or anything. I can push myself with the timer on the treadmill & I don't have to worry about being a mile from home when I'm exhausted, especially since I run over my lunch hour & it's more convenient to run at the gym.

That being said, I plan on running outdoors, because I'm thinking of entering a 5/10 K race. I see the arm straps for iPhones, but are there any out there for a Droid, or are they compatible with both? I also don't know much about the best running apps to use. Anybody have preferences?