Question on fitness and exercise

Options
I have been working on loosing weight since January and I am down to a comfortable weight however I still want to get leaner and drop another 20 % more body fat and probably some more weight.

My question is about strength training and calistanics. Currently I've been doing beginner full body strength 30 min 5 days a week and 30-40 min calistanics which has been around 8 weeks. So it been a 50 50 split between strength and calistanics.

I am thinking about moving up to intermediate strength training breaking it into three routines with a day of rest between them. However do 30 -40 min calistanics on the rest days. Is that to much?

My plan is

Day 1 Chest,biceps,triceps and abs
Day 2 rest ( 30-40 min bike ride or elliptical)
Day 3 Quadriceps, hamstring, and calves
Day 4 rest ( 30-40 min bike ride or elliptical)
Day 5 back and shoulders and abs
Day 6 rest ( 30-40 min bike ride or elliptical)
Day 7 repeat.

Would this be a good schedule to build muscle and get leaner.

Replies

• mikenanfrop1
    Options
    That should work. How many reps and sets are you doing and much weight you pushing?
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That should work. How many reps and sets are you doing and much weight you pushing?

My routine will have 1 warmup set 15-20 reps and then 3 sets at 12 10 8 reps with 50 sec rest between sets.

Weight will be to make it through the reps. Right now I'm only benching 120 lbs at 3 sets 15 12 10 reps. Not pushing much. LOL.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan.

In my opinion: chest/tri's with a bit of shoulders work really well together (especially with pressing movements). Back/biceps work well too and you can throw in your shoulder if you'd like (for pulling movements).

It's also great that you're leaving yourself rest days in between to recover.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Your rep range is a bit high. The intensity most weight lifters aim for (not power lifters) are around 6-8 reps/set, your last set should not be more than 8 reps in my opinion.
  • silverbullet07
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I will lower the reps to 10-8-6.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Ive had great results alternating days between heavy lifting and HIITs...your plan sounds great, i usually do 4 sets of 10 reps....you may not be wanting a girls opinion;) haha!!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of any of the popular 5x5 programs out there for a 3 day split.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump--i'm stealing your plan ;-)
  • silverbullet07
    Options
    bump--i'm stealing your plan ;-)

I can email you a PDF of my routine and exercises if you would like to have it. No need to steal. :)