If net calories are below your goal, is that a bad thing?

Options
madzdad
madzdad Posts: 14 Member
I have my calories per day set to lose 2 pounds per week. If I am eating at or near this limit, but then can subtract another, say 500 calories per day, for an effective deficit of 3 pounds per week, is this a bad thing? I am not starving myself in any way as I weigh so much it is actually hard to get in all my calories for the day when I eat healthy.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    You're golng to see answers all over the place on this one. MFP doesn't recommend higher than 2 pounds a week, and unless you're under a doctor/dietician's care, I'd have to agree. Rather see you do some exercise than keep cutting back on the calories - too many people find themselves stalling/plateauing when they cut their calories too far.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A healthy and sustainable weight loss goal long term is up to 1.5 pounds a week on average.
    If you try to loose more than that rate you'll only lead yourself to disappointment as the weight could go back up just as fast.
    It's human nature to be generally impatient but believe me, if you want to keep it off slow down the weight loss.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You're trying to lose 213 pounds? It's probably okay in the beginning, but you'll need to bring it closer once you get below 300. The guideline I hear is 1% of your body weight per week, max, and that's only assuming you're quite obese.