Spinning Yarn counts!

Options
Yeah! I found a site that says that spinning yarn burns about 102 calories for 60 minutes of spinning yarn for an average 150 pound person.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42975

I hope it's right, cause I'm counting it :) I mean if you think about it you are pushing the treadles to make the wheel spin, there is some tension there. Granted, it's not spinning on a stationary bike but for my sedentary lifestyle every little bit counts.

Here is a link to the website it was calculated from...

caloriesperhour.com

Replies

• mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Um, awesome! Every time I do sit-ups I'm looking straight at my shelves of to-do-soon actual planned fiber. Glad to know the days I can't resist the fiber fumes I'm still accomplishing something. ;)
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow spinner as well! This is kewl !I've often wondered how many calories i've burt spinning yarn.
    Now I have an idea. Thanks !
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    oh geezz, and here i've been buying all my yarn at the store! lol
  • NikkiVixxen
    NikkiVixxen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute! Supposedly knitting burns 100 calories per hour. I can sit in a chair with all of my body relaxed and move just my hands to knit. In order to spin, I must sit relatively rigidly upright, move both hands to draft (as in knitting) but also treadle. Either the calorie-burning count for knitting is off, or spinning burns closer to 150 calories per hour.
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Spinning really should burn a little more than knitting which is really just sitting. Someday I'll put on my heart rate monitor while I weave to see if that's burning anything, bigger arm movements, core engagement, quad engagement, surely it's burning something.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It certainly helped Mark Twain control his weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    To be fair, sitting and talking also apparently burns 102 calories an hour, so I wouldn't be eating any of those back. Merely existing burns calories.

This is right.

it's important to remember that just sitting around also would burn calories and that for movements like these the calories burned are not enough (IMO atleast) to eat back without worry of over-counting calories out. Especially if you're still in a fat-loss phase i would think this is an excellent way to stall weight loss.
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I spin a lot and it never shows that I burn any 'extra' calories over and above just being sat on my bum on my Garmin. What spinning and knitting does do however is keep my hands so busy I am not snacking.

Weaving on the other hand with a rigid heddle floor loom. That shows I am working hard!!