MFP Runners ~May 15

Options
Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!
4.65 miles today...fairly flat route...yeah...lots of hill training this week, flat felt great!

Becky

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!
    4.65 miles today...fairly flat route...yeah...lots of hill training this week, flat felt great!

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday :flowerforyou:

I ran for 30 minutes today.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • puppylove84
    puppylove84 Posts: 38
    Options
    I wish my town had hills! did an easy 5 today.

happy running! :drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I wish my town had hills! did an easy 5 today.

happy running! :drinker:

:laugh: I heard some people factor how the running is into choosing a new home.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 yesterday and have a 10 tomorrow, I'm training for a half marathon :-X any advice to help me get through those 10 miles, I'm nervous. On than note, any suggestions for a great pair of running shoes?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    5 mile run outdoor for me this morning.

And 5 mile run y'day on the treadmill, plus 600 yd swim.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 yesterday and have a 10 tomorrow, I'm training for a half marathon :-X any advice to help me get through those 10 miles, I'm nervous. On than note, any suggestions for a great pair of running shoes?

Good for you!! You can do it. I used the FIRST program at runnersworld.com. Great program.

My fav quote that I saw at the last running expo was Running is a Mental Sport and we are all INSANE! It really is a mental game.

As for good shoes, go to a running store and get your feet fit for the right kind!

Jess
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Speaking of shoes, did anyone get their new Runner's World yet?
    My stability MIZUNOS are up to $140!!! Hoping to find an older model for less! I really need to bite the bullet and get a 2nd pair so I can give them a full 48 hours *rest* between runs and make sure the one pair is only ever worn for running!

Becky
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My fav quote that I saw at the last running expo was Running is a Mental Sport and we are all INSANE! It really is a mental game.

I never knew that was a popular quote. When I did my 1/2 marathon last year a girl did tshirts for us and put quotes on the back. That one is mine. I thought she just made them up. :laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Hello everyone! Can I join your club?

I'm not really a runner per say...its more like a slow jiggly jog at this point, but I really want to be one.

I've started running and have managed to do a mile and a half (right around 30 mins) but I have to walk here and there. My distance is getting better and I'm trying to run uphill to get more speed.

Thing is...I'm ssssllllloooooowwww and it's rather embarrasing. It really does look like a jiggly jog though I feel as if I'm running. Still, Im going to keep at this because my goal is to be a runner someday.
  • kechiemc
    Options

Congratulations on your half marathon goal. I ran one last November and it is now my favorite race distance.

As far as the 10 miles, try to relax and enjoy them.
    1. Make sure you eat enough for fuel. I usually eat a good dinner the night before and I eat at least an hour or two before I head out that morning.
    2. Hyrdration before, during and after are important.
    3. Don't go out too fast.
    4. Periodically check your form and make sure you are relaxed.

You can do it:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options

I'm not really a runner per say...its more like a slow jiggly jog at this point, but I really want to be one.

I've started running and have managed to do a mile and a half (right around 30 mins) but I have to walk here and there. My distance is getting better and I'm trying to run uphill to get more speed.

Thing is...I'm ssssllllloooooowwww and it's rather embarrasing. It really does look like a jiggly jog though I feel as if I'm running. Still, Im going to keep at this because my goal is to be a runner someday.

Absolutely! Two years ago, I started out as a slow jiggly jogger too.:wink: Keep at it. Consistency will get you where you want to be. Check in here daily for motivation and to let us know what you're up to. :flowerforyou:
  • LOVEsummer
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I need to subscribe to runner's world! I'll check back tomorrow and let everyone know how it went!!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Running buddies,
    I ran 4.25 miles this morning. I have some questions for you experienced runners.
    A while back I posted that I was invited to run in the NYC marathon, it would be a dream come true. I have gotten lots of 18 week training schedules and have been running a solid base leading up to them. Some people are very discouraging about it and don't think that I should do it or can do it.
    They say wait until next year or the year after, what do you guys think?

In my heart i think I can really do it and it has been so nice to put my mind on something and focus on something that is just for me. Of course, I don't want to injure myself and some people have said that running a marathon is worse on your body than good, that I should train for a half marathon. But I keep thinking, this is NYC and with my cousin who is not a runner and trained in 14 weeks last year and ran it and loved it.

So, tell me the good, bad and ugly. I've heard about toenails falling off, being sick for days after, etc.
    Can I really do this?? To me, this would be the icing on the cake, the feeling of crossing that finish line and accomplishing something that I never dreamed possible.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    WW, the longest road race I've done is an 8k, so I'm not an expert. But I would think that since you already run, and if you train properly and treat your body right leading up to the race, you should be fine. I could be totally wrong on this but that's just what I think. :smile: I am with you though, finishing would be an amazing feeling I'm sure!

Just got finished with 5.1 miles. I did it in 47 minutes and oh yeah, burned 800 calories. I just got my HRM!!!!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Just want to say that I LOVE this club. I get lots of motivation and inspiration from all you guys!! Thank You!!!!:flowerforyou: Got 4 miles in this morn in exactly 35 minutes. I just decided to do half marathon (I think?) so I'm really nervous. I am 5 months postpartum and an battling Graves disease( overactive thyroid), and I may have to have it removed or radioactive iodine treatment this summer if it doesn't go into remission. I 'm worried that will affect my training for the Sept. race?
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I ran at intervals--all different times. I havent run in 3 days so I am off. Tomorrow I am going back down to the 5K race course and practicing down there! Have a good weekend!
  • puppylove84
    puppylove84 Posts: 38
    Options

absolutely nothin' wrong with being slow! I'm super slow, but I feel good knowing that I get better each time I run and I achieve my goals. Good luck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Okay, I thought my calories burned were a little high....I actually burned 500! :blushing: Oops!
  • LOVEsummer
    Options
    Hi Running buddies,
    I ran 4.25 miles this morning. I have some questions for you experienced runners.
    A while back I posted that I was invited to run in the NYC marathon, it would be a dream come true. I have gotten lots of 18 week training schedules and have been running a solid base leading up to them. Some people are very discouraging about it and don't think that I should do it or can do it.
    They say wait until next year or the year after, what do you guys think?

I finished my 10 mile run!!! It was 101 degrees here in Chico, CA today... so it was like running in a blazing hot inferno. My shirt, shorts... everything was soaked by the time I finished... and I was HUNGRY!!! I've never experienced hunger like that from working out... but I have also never run that far. I can definitely say that I am buying new shoes tomorrow because my feet/legs kill. I grabbed a GIANT grilled fish, black bean, mexican rice and cheese burrito on the way home and destroyed over half of it... I know bleached carb city right... Next time I'll try for a Turkey and Avocada on Wheat as a treat... I was delerious with hunger and heat!!!

OK, so if youre looking to run a marathon... more power to you, I have heard horror stories too, and my best friend just ran one in Big Sur. He isn't an avid runner but he made it out OK, he walked and ran though. Personally I feel like 26 mi is just hard on your body, 10 miles hurt and I bet 13 in August is going to be killer. If it's something you want and you prepare for it though, DO IT!!! There are far worse things you could do like eat a giant bag of cheetos everyday while watching crappy reality TV. I think that achieving something that other people would call you crazy for is part of what will motivate you to be a healthier better person.

But talk to a marathon runner, ask your doctor etc. Maybe start with a half and then run the marathon you have been invited to? Otherwise just listen to your body!