Am I losing too much weight?

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Remember too, the more you workout, the more you need to (get to!) eat. Be sure to "eat back" those calories you burn.

P.S. - Your receptiveness to the feedback you've gotten on your question is awesome!
  • I think it is reaallly low for 5'6. I would think around 118ish would be the lowest. You are lucky to be tall. Maybe try eating more and building muscle- but you have to eat to tone your body...otherwise you are losing muscle

Thanks:) I'm gonna start focusing on doing strength training, and mantaining if not gaining some more weight.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    As others have said, if you're going to strength train, increase your protein and calories a little so you can begin to build. Eat back all of your exercise calories and then some. Nuts, lean means, nut butters (not the perverted kind :laugh: ) healthy fats and proteins. Get it girl!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    For your height, 112 sounds too low. I'd ask a doctor, as everyone does have a different build. I'm 5 6 and a half and at my lowest, 130, I wasn't happy. 140-150 is ideal for me, but I have a big bone type build. My husband hated it when I was 130, he said I looked boney and sick, but super sexy at 150 :) Everyone is different though! Ask a doctor to make sure you are healthy. Best wishes....
  • momma924
    momma924 Posts: 26
    I'm 5"4, 124 lbs. My goal is 115-120. (Coming from 150 - after having my son). So if you are 2 inches taller than me and about 10 lbs less than me I think you might be low on your height/weight. Staying around 120 is healthy :-) (which was my initial goal). Protein will help with muscles. :-)
  • Remember too, the more you workout, the more you need to (get to!) eat. Be sure to "eat back" those calories you burn.

P.S. - Your receptiveness to the feedback you've gotten on your question is awesome!

I often forget that lol. Now that I'm realizing that I'm almost underweight, and need to add muscle, I'm gonna try my best to just at the very least mantain my weight, and start focusing on lowering my body fat %.
  • I think as long as you aren't accidentally falling into old ways then you'll make the right choices.
    Don't worry so much about what the scale says. Start strength training and I'm pretty positive you'll like what you will see.

It's difficult sometimes to not fall into my old ways, but anytime I get those thoughts, I try to stop myself, and have been doing pretty well. But yeah, I've been looking at all these BMI calculators, and they're saying I'm borderline underweight, so I'm not gonna focus on losing any more weight, and just start going to the gym lol.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    If you use this bmi calculator http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

most likely you are already on the verge of being underweight. You should not seriously think about losing more. You may be considered in the normal range by hall.md v2, but if you hit 112, you would move into underweight.

I think you should do more toning areas to workout the areas you view as "flabby." If you lose a lot of weight, you may have flab, initially, but you can look a lot better by toning those areas.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    If you were anorexic you would have been left with really low muscle tone. That would explain why you're 'underweight' but still at 24%bf. I'd definately go the strength route. Check out Staci - she'd be a great role model for someone with your body type.
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • This was probably already mentioned, but if you gain 10 pounds of muscle you will likely be super toned. At this point it's probably best for you to ignore the number on the scale and focus on building muscle, anyway. If you are at 116.9lbs now and attempt to tone up, I don't think you'll have much success gaining any muscle while remaining 116.9lbs. You're going to have to gain some muscle (which will cause a weight gain), but that's a good thing! Then, you'll be at a good BMI, a healthy weight, and look lean and fit.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I'm hardly toned at all right now, so if I gain weight and look better I'll know why lol. It's a little hard for to accept that I need to gain weight, but I'm realizing I do, and need to start going to the gym instead of doing all this cardio.
    Thanks for your answer:
  • As others have said, if you're going to strength train, increase your protein and calories a little so you can begin to build. Eat back all of your exercise calories and then some. Nuts, lean means, nut butters (not the perverted kind :laugh: ) healthy fats and proteins. Get it girl!

Lol "nut butters", I gotcha. I'm a little bit more of a sweet eater so, this is gonna be a little bit of change, but I can do it:)
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    I love sweets too.
    Chocolate or vanilla protein shakes = YUUUUUMMMM
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    Good for you, keeping to your recovery and not falling back to the mindset that started the trouble. :flowerforyou: I hope that the comments here are both helpful and motivating, and that you start to see the results you want.!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Congratulations for taking control of your health and considering outside opinion. I know a person's self-image of their body can be way off of what others see (mine was!) and it takes a good deal of courage to open yourself to the opinion and suggestions of others.

I would love to have the link to the post by a gal who was 12 or so lbs heavier after her time on MFP than she had been when she was younger. She had pics of her booty and belly and arms and legs and the 12 lbs heavier pics showed her actually looking thinner because it was dense muscle.

if you lose too much, you can easily lose muscle rather than fat. I'd take the advice of those who say try some strength training and concentrate on protein in your diet. I will never forget how good that woman looked, at 12 lbs heavier, than she ever looked without the muscle tone. It really affected how I thought of "weight" vs. "health" - does that make sense?

Anyway - congrats again, and keep yourself in your own control You can try new things and, if they don't work - try something else that will.

:flowerforyou:
  • For your height, 112 sounds too low. I'd ask a doctor, as everyone does have a different build. I'm 5 6 and a half and at my lowest, 130, I wasn't happy. 140-150 is ideal for me, but I have a big bone type build. My husband hated it when I was 130, he said I looked boney and sick, but super sexy at 150 :) Everyone is different though! Ask a doctor to make sure you are healthy. Best wishes....

For me, I look like I weigh more than 117, and it's because I don't really do any muscle training or go to the gym. So from now on, I'm just gonna mantain my weight, maybe gain some, and start doing better workouts lol.
    Thanks for your answer:)
  • I'm 5"4, 124 lbs. My goal is 115-120. (Coming from 150 - after having my son). So if you are 2 inches taller than me and about 10 lbs less than me I think you might be low on your height/weight. Staying around 120 is healthy :-) (which was my initial goal). Protein will help with muscles. :-)

Thanks:) I realized from the posts, and from googling it, that my goal weight and my current weight even, is too low. I'm gonna start eating more protein, and going to the gym more often, so I get some muscle.
  • I love sweets too.
    Chocolate or vanilla protein shakes = YUUUUUMMMM

Mmm. . .I never had a chocolate or vanilla protein shake. I'd definitely give it a try,though:)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    That seems like a very small number for someone so tall. I am 5 5 1/2 and 145......my goal is 138 and I am not chubby by any means. If I did get to the weight you want I would look skeletal!
  • If you use this bmi calculator http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

most likely you are already on the verge of being underweight. You should not seriously think about losing more. You may be considered in the normal range by hall.md v2, but if you hit 112, you would move into underweight.

I think you should do more toning areas to workout the areas you view as "flabby." If you lose a lot of weight, you may have flab, initially, but you can look a lot better by toning those areas.

I realize I need to mantain, if not gain some weight, so that's what I'm going to do:) I also plan on going to the gym more,, and geting some muscle(I haven't really got any) lol.
    Thank you very much for your answer:)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    it is small, and outside the normal weight range technically, but it does make a difference how you carry it and I'm sure you're used to being small. I would be very careful though, given your history of anorexia. Maybe doctor supervision would be helpful so that you have guidance along the way?