Late Night Snacking!

Options
I'm so bad for it.

Junk food or not, I'm pretty bad for eating in the middle of the night.
My sleep pattern is a bit messed up, but I always eat at night.

and If I don't I will literally sit there and think about eating for hours, or until I eat something..

What are some tricks you do to help with this?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I save calories for night time, and then I eat at night.

I stay at my calorie goal for the day.

Try it!
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Water is your friend. Drink a little, wait 15 min. See if you are still hungry. A little peanut butter or cheese also works.

Slow down your eating.
  • dr00
    dr00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about how badly I do this a few minutes ago!
    I try to eat fruits and veggies at night instead of something with a lot of carbs or fat!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I work out at night and that helps. If i am really craving something i will go take a bath or have something small and go to bed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I try my best to have a little something right before bed time.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    well once that clock passes 8 pm my appetite goes insane and unfortunately i am always up late so my biggest issue is wandering through kitchen and nibbling on anything and everything UGH
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If I get late night munchies, I have an orange, apple, cottage cheese, or a few (like 8) tortilla chips to satiate the hunger I think I am feeling. Some slices of turkey is good too. Or some low fat cheese.

Honestly, the best thing to do is just deny yourself. It will get easier, eventually.

Best luck.

Brittany ;)
  • StephannieJune
    Options
    I had this habit also. I found if i ate a small bit of protein before bed that finally broke me of the habit. Also have water ready to drink in the middle of the night or something calorie free. Took me about two weeks to let go of eating in the middle of the night.
  • gosylv
    gosylv Posts: 2
    Options
    I've often heard that eating late in the day is not good as your metabolism slows down when you're sleeping. For me, eating before bedtime is a habit. I am going to try drinking water, and if I absolutely must, and still have calorie room left, to eat only fruits or veggies. I'm hoping to form a new habit :)
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Peppermints always help me some water and lemon if i really cant sleep i find something really distracting until im to tired to keep my eyes open
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I keep bagel thins and cream cheese for those nights. If I'm hungrier than that, I have soup. Stuff that isn't big in calories but still curbs that little pang of hunger.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been saving greek yoghurt and berries for my last snack, because I am always hungry coming up to bed time. It feels like a dessert to me so it doesn't feel like the start of a meal, don't start more cravings to keep eating. There's no science behind that but it works for me..
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    JELLO!!!! Sugar/calorie free Jello. Its sweet makes you feel like your cheating but the scale won't show it. Plus, its just fun to eat jello. :)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been working on this question myself. I like to munch. Right now I really want to EAT. So I've been trying some new recipes and seeing what fills me up. I just had a spinach and egg scramble that wasn't very satisfying. SO I'm thinking, I might go have a few pickles, at about 10 calories each a couple should fill me up a little. I'm also going to make sure I have some jello on hand in the future. And, sugar free pudding is good too.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've often heard that eating late in the day is not good as your metabolism slows down when you're sleeping. For me, eating before bedtime is a habit. I am going to try drinking water, and if I absolutely must, and still have calorie room left, to eat only fruits or veggies. I'm hoping to form a new habit :)
    . This is a myth that hasn't died yet, sadly. Total intake will govern weight change, regardless of consumption time.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    As long as your staying in a caloric deficit for the day, it does not matter what time you eat or snack.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    . This is a myth that hasn't died yet, sadly. Total intake will govern weight change, regardless of consumption time.

^This^
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I save calories for night time, and then I eat at night.

I stay at my calorie goal for the day.

Try it!

I do this too.
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

^This^

Yes, this is a very ridiculous myth. You can eat your calories at any time durin the day or night and it doesn't make a difference. Doctors, trainers and ordinary people have all told me this!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

^This^

Yes, this is a very ridiculous myth. You can eat your calories at any time durin the day or night and it doesn't make a difference. Doctors, trainers and ordinary people have all told me this!

Thanks for clearing this up because I was a little confused about it..makes me feel better about my night time snacking..I make sure I stay within my cals and everything but I wasn't sure if the time I was eating put a damper on my weight loss! thanks! :)