Let's talk about...the GI Index

Options

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was also under the impression that GI is based on food solely by itself, and mixing it with other foods completely changes it's GI profile. Sounds complicated.

I guess it does help with diabetics, I'm curious if it helps with those people like me who have ...pre-diabetes..whatever it's called...metabolic disorder or something?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was also under the impression that GI is based on food solely by itself, and mixing it with other foods completely changes it's GI profile. Sounds complicated.

Yes, it is calculated using an isocaloric amount of food on fasted subjects. So if you are not fasted or if you eat it with any other food it will alter the GI. Also different cooking methods alter the GI, generally raw foods have a lower GI then cooked
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can we get this in the FAQ?
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    gi.png
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Great post. I've always been a fan of empirical data. Well done, sir.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, stopped my head from spinning a bit from the earlier chatter I was reading.

Thanks!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    *gives ACG a high five*
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This needs to get bumped.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Now how many people will believe me when I say that unless you have diabetes, GI index isn't that important.

So many people say they are fat from the fact they ate white bread or white rice instead of wheat bread or brown rice *facepalm*
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tagging so I can find this later
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump :D
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tagging this so that I have more posts like these saved. It's also nice to see a list of the older members that post on the more scientific topics.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    great post mate
  • soulundefined
    Options
    well i have been following something like this and have lost almost 18 pounds in under 2 months so something is working. I do have to say that cutting out the bread, the pasta, the potato can be a bit cumbersome at first and there are definitely days when i do crave like a bagel or something. But I drink my water and go ok i have come this far. I have noticed it has stopped my spikes in sugar even though i'm not diabetic. I was in the in beginning stages of hypoglycemia. I will tell you though it has to be a lifestyle change because I did have that cupcake one day... (daughters birthday) and i gained 3 pounds the next morning.. and it STAYED for 3 days more... my lesson was learned!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    well i have been following something like this and have lost almost 18 pounds in under 2 months so something is working. I do have to say that cutting out the bread, the pasta, the potato can be a bit cumbersome at first and there are definitely days when i do crave like a bagel or something. But I drink my water and go ok i have come this far. I have noticed it has stopped my spikes in sugar even though i'm not diabetic. I was in the in beginning stages of hypoglycemia. I will tell you though it has to be a lifestyle change because I did have that cupcake one day... (daughters birthday) and i gained 3 pounds the next morning.. and it STAYED for 3 days more... my lesson was learned!

You gained 3lb from eating a cupcake?