weight loss skin questions

Options
ok i'm 21. so i'm pretty young. but i've been over weight my whole life. i was wondering if i loose a very large amount of weight will i have excess sagging skin like the people who loose a lot of weight from lap band or gastric bypass. my mom tells me i won't because i'm young. but i'm not so sure. any info would be great.

Replies

• CamsMama22
    Options
    What do you consider "a very large amount" ?? because I'd say if it's 40-50lbs you might, everyones skin is different. being young and having younger skin does help.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You probably have SOME elasticity - but if you end up losing a lot of weight, odds are that you will have some loose/saggy skin in areas (under the arms, stomach, chest/side area, etc). It's basically impossible to avoid if you go from being obese to "normal."
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think you will have excess skin, unless you are morbidly obese maybe. As long as you are losing weight at a healthy rate (1-3 lbs per week) and building muscle at the same time and doing cardio, you will be just fine! :)
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Being young helps. Losing weight slowly helps. Getting plenty of water, keeping the skin moisturized and eating food with plenty of nutrients helps. Exercise, including cardio and strength training helps. Giving it time AFTER weight loss helps. That said, there are no guarantees. In the end, would you rather be healthy and maybe have a little pooch here and there or damage your health but have tight skin?

Also, if you look at the success stories on this site, many, MANY people have lost 100+ pounds and look fantastic.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    One reason they have the problem is because they lose the weight so quickly. Just take it slow and steady and it will give your body time to adjust.

And it does help that you are young.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I would say if you drink plenty of Water, Incorporate Regular Strength Training, and lose the weight SLOWLY you won't have much of a problem.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That's a good question! From everything that I have read on the subject it seems that usually will only happen if excessive weight is lost fast and no exercising or toning is done to tighten that skin along the way.Slow and steady is always best to keep that from happening! You are young, so that does help alot!
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you lose some weight youare going to have some excess skin. This will, however, decrease once the weight is off. As others have suggested water and continued exercise (both cardio and strength) will help. Some say it can months or even years for the excess skin to be gone. With you being young I would doubt it would take years but it may take some months for you to be happy with it. Good luck on your weight loss journey. :)
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine; there shouldn't be that much skin.
    No, I don't think you will have excess skin, unless you are morbidly obese maybe. As long as you are losing weight at a healthy rate (1-3 lbs per week) and building muscle at the same time and doing cardio, you will be just fine! :)

It's near impossible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Think about it: You're on a calorie deficit. How can muscle, which needs a calorie surplus, possibly grow on a deficit?
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it and find out.....

Everyone is different, you won't know til you get there. I promise that when you reach your goal, regardless of any problems you may or may not have due to excess skin, you will feel fantastic!!

Doooooo it! Excess skin should be the least of your worries.....(your as in plural,anyone - nothing personal) :happy:

Good luck!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Being young helps. Losing weight slowly helps. Getting plenty of water, keeping the skin moisturized and eating food with plenty of nutrients helps. Exercise, including cardio and strength training helps. Giving it time AFTER weight loss helps. That said, there are no guarantees. In the end, would you rather be healthy and maybe have a little pooch here and there or damage your health but have tight skin?

Also, if you look at the success stories on this site, many, MANY people have lost 100+ pounds and look fantastic.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Drink lots of water, lower your body fat %, strength train, and moisturize your skin often (especially after showering) with a good skin-firming lotion.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Its a lot better if you lose slowly. And being young, your skin should catch up, mostly at least. I'm 25, i have had 2 babies and i have lost near 70 pounds, and my skin is keeping up pretty well. I don't expect to come out of this looking perfect and i am very pleased so far.
  • EpicRosie
    EpicRosie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine; there shouldn't be that much skin.

It's near impossible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Think about it: You're on a calorie deficit. How can muscle, which needs a calorie surplus, possibly grow on a deficit?
    I figure by eating the stored calories in the fat so you grow muscle and lose fat.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    If you carry alot of weight in the same area like I did (my stomach and inner thighs) then maybe... Everyone is different I've seen on here where ppl have no noticable loose skin and look fantastic.... However, some ppl have alot of loose skin that need to have surgery to remove. It just depends on how fast you lose it and alot of other things like: age, nutrient and type of exercise. I have a combo of loose skin and fat... I still have some fat left to lose... I've kept 85lbs off for over 3 years so idk how successful I will be to tighten it up all the way but I refuse to give up!