Have you worn your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i think about this sometimes when my band has a gig; some of the amps and PA equipment are quite heavy. i can't imagine how i lugged around 110 extra pounds all of the time, but i did. i even went hiking at that weight. i didn't notice it a lot at the time, but when the weight was gone, i certainly felt lighter on my feet, and losing the weight really improved some back pain issues.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I tried it, I filled a back pack with my lost weight 28lbs ... and there wasn't enough space in the back pack so I continued filling another backpack and wore one on each shoulder.

It was so heavy that it was cutting into my shoulders, so I didn't leave the house with it ..... all the same its a good reminder not to go back there :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    No was thinking of doing it but am scared cos I already have back problems.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So far I'm only 4.6 lbs down but this would be a great idea as I lose more!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Makes you think, doesn't it? Here's another one...kind of yucky, but I've stood in front of the butter in the grocery store and counted up the pounds.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Not exactly but close.. I carry my daughter once in a while and she's 31lb so its close but not quite. My son is 40lb and I can barely lift him lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I was watching an old episode of Biggest Loser the other day and a feature they do every few seasons is make the contestants wear a backpack or weighted suit loaded with the amount they've lost.

Have you done this? Have you grabbed a backpack, loaded with books or bricks or something and walked around with it to make you realize how much you've lost?
    Only a couple of times when I've had to piggy back my daughter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea - i'm going to load up my barbell when I get home. :)
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar to this..... at 10lbs, I went to the store and picked up a bag of potatoes, at 30lbs I picked up a medium size of dog food. At 42lbs I picked up my 6 year old and carried him around. At 50lbs I tried to pick up a large bag of dog food, but it was too bulky for me to get a good grip. I'm now at 60lbs, and don't know if I could lift that much without hurting myself!

I know I've lost a lot, and I know I look different, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the fat girl. I still see how far I have to go. But going to the store and picking up on these items, reminds me of how far I've come and it gives me a reality check to really see how much I have actually lost.

I highly recommend it to everyone!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I do not even like picking up the cat litter boxes... so NO. haha
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    YES, interesting that you mention this!

As I was approaching 200 lbs (Down from over 270). I made a "play date" with a couple of the Boxers at my gym to do some cross training. Part of the program was doing a farmers walk carrying 2x 50lb dumbbells and wearing a 40lb weighted vest. For kicks and giggles I tried doing my "normal" workout afterwards wearing the vest. An interesting experience. Made me realize how far I had come!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds so far. The other day, I picked up a 10 pound wt and though, wow, I didn't realize 10 pounds was this heavy. But now that you mention it, wow, 10 pounds is a nice little chunk, and I have 120 to go. Scary how much damage I am doing to my joints being this heavy.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think about it while carrying my kids. My oldest is about 40+ lbs and my youngest is about 30. so I've *almost* lost the 2 of them combined. can't imagine carrying them both together !!!!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    Yup! it was horrible!
  • dreambig81
    dreambig81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have lost exactly the amount my 4 year old weighs, and occasionally I pick him up and go "b****y hell!"
    This...my 4 yr. old weighs 42 lbs. she rides on my back frequently.

Yes I pick up my 8 month old alot (obviously) but my aim is to loose 111kg which is what my (tiny) 2,5 yr old weighs!
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have carried three 50 lb bags of water softener salt down to our basement (one at a time of course), & it was HARD! I was winded afterwards. Plus, I carry my 53 lb daughter or 40 lb daughter around piggy back. Phew! I do know that I can definitely feel the weight loss in my knees. I think I read/heard one time that for each lb you lose, that is 4 lbs. of pressure off your knees? Is that true?
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could physically walk around carrying 150+ pounds of extra weight - and I'm not quite sure how I did it before! However, I regularly squat the amount of weight I've lost (and more) and it's a killer!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't relish lifting a pack loaded with 118lb of kit to be honest, though I know it'd be do-able...
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I go to the store and put the equivalent amount of butter or lard in my cart. I don't want to lift it again, I just wanna look at it and then be able to PUT IT BACK... I don't have to carry it around!
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well recently after restarting here in January, I'd lost 30 lbs, and at that time I was helping a friend out and carrying a huge load of laundry for her into my house, well I was so winded-- like up the stairs and in the door and my back started to ache. Geez, I thought, I have to see how much this weighs, so I weighed the laundry and it was exactly 30 lbs, what I had just lost at that time. I was amazed to feel that and what it did to me walking with it, Ugg!!! Dont want that EVER again! So cool, good question. I can't imagine wearing it when I have finally lost all of my weight. I'll have to wear another person. Crazy.