edema and figuring weight loss

Options
i have a question and was hoping someone could tell me the answer. 11 years ago i had skin cancer on my left ankle and in the main lymph node so they removed all the lymph nodes in my leg had 2 wear support hose and all that have not had wear them until the last couple days the swelling in my leg is back and its just as bad now as it was when they removed the nodes i weighed myself fri and weight was down to 262 weighed mon (my normal weigh in day and it is up to 269!) any one else have this problem and how do u figure your loss? I do measure also and I've lost 3 inches in waist and hips but my clothes seen to fit almost the same also doesn't make sense? any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Replies

• EoinMag
    EoinMag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd say talk to your doctor, it's not something you should be asking on a fitness and weight loss forum.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    my dr said i didnt need to see him anymore unless the cancer came back
  • EoinMag
    EoinMag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not even for Questions like this one? That's what he's there for not just serious treatment.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    my dr said i didnt need to see him anymore unless the cancer came back

Did he mean for you to self-diagnose or not deal with any other problem that might come up? Hopefully you don't need to see your oncologist, but you still need to have your leg looked at.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    its nothing he can do it swells because i have no lymph nodes but now that im exercising alot more it is swelling more and my support hose no longer fit and that is the only thing they recomend to keep it down i cant afford to buy more just was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and how they figured their loss more for sugestions than anything else i hasent swollen to the point of hurting till the last couple days and doesnt seem to go down fully when proped up at night even when not swelling it never looks like the other leg is always puffy :(
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I see a lot of patients with lymphedema. It's a really frustrating problem. I don't know how to guide you as far as determining weight loss...but extra fluid can definitely result in weight gain. If you've lost inches, it sounds like you are doing everything right.

I know you don't want to spend $$ on support stockings, but it sounds like you REALLY need them to get the problem back under control. If it keeps getting worse, the pain is gonna be awful and it will get in the way of your diet and fitness goals. Your health is the most important investment you can make in this life!
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    I have lymph edema in my left arm from breast cancer. It had metastisized into my lymph nodes and they were removed under my left armpit. The best advice the physio and the doctors give me are to make sure that you are wearing your compression garmet every single day... I know it sux.... but it's like glasses, you just have to get used to it. I know there are times my garmet drives me insane, and I'll go a day without it, and the swelling goes up. The lymph tissue is heavy. :ohwell:

If the swelling gets too bad, go to your family doctor and get a referral to physical therapy. They can do extra compression wrapping to bring down the swelling, it's just time consuming.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have reduced circulation in my legs, nothing major, but it's there. The more I exercise, the more I need to lie on my back with my legs literally straight up in the air (on my bed with my butt against the headboard, legs in the air) - just for 5-10 minutes after exercise. My doc said that with the reduction in circulation, and my increased exercise, sometimes the fluid will just pool down in my calves/ankles and not have the "ability" to get recirculated. It does work... after a workout, I just go lie down and then sometimes even give a light (stress LIGHT) massage to the lymph areas. I realize your lymph node(s) in that area are missing, so the elevation should at least help get the fluid back down where it belongs. Swelling is sooooo uncomfortable... I feel and know your pain!! And really, lying down after a workout, that's not so bad :-) Good luck!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common to swell after lymph nodes have been removed. Your body isn't able to get your lymph fluid distributed without the missing lymph nodes.. It sounds to me like the swelling has become excessive and you need to go back to either your cancer dr or your family dr. This really needs to be addressed.