Whey protein..does it help you lose weight?

Options
krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
So I was wondering does drinking whey protein help you lose weight????

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not exactly.

You lose weight by maintaining a healthy caloric deficit. If you do that (assuming a reasonably healthy/balanced diet), you'll lose weight.

Whey protein can help balance out an otherwise unbalanced diet (increase protein intake while reducing fat and/or carbs to keep overall cals the same). It can also boost your protein intake for body composition goals.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks Jackson.....that helps:)
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Higher protein diet is the only way I can lose weight
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Higher protein diet is the only way I can lose weight

Me too.

I use protein shakes as a way to curb sweet and hunger pangs. 1 scoop of protein powder, one cup of almond coconut milk (unsweetened), 2-3 tbsp of Walden Farm's 0 cal, 0 carb chocolate syrup, put it in a blender MILKSHAKE.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I lose more weight when I have a whey protein shake daily - probably because I'm replacing other not so healthy snacks and I usually have one after a workout. But I do feel that a higher protein diet results in greater weight loss because it takes longer to digest and does not spike your blood sugar.
  • readingk1
    readingk1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't been meeting my protein intake goals; therefore I have started adding it to shakes and it seems to be helping in keeping me fuller longer.
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    to the ladies above:
    do you replace a meal with the whey protein shake or is it just a supplement?
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Plus, I find that it helps keep me full longer to help prevent overeating.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the very same thing...i was wonderiing,if I am only doing cardio and no strength training, would it still be a good idea to take whey protein. Also, what is the lowest cal version?
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    to the ladies above:

I do it as a snack inbetween meals
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you can get adequate protein from "real" food, then whey protein isn't necessary. I'm not overly fond of it, so I eat a lot of chicken, eggs, turkey, and lean beef, as well as Greek yogurt to reach my protein goals. If you like drinking shakes, however, they are an excellent way to get a large protein intake for relatively few calories. Buying the bulk cans is cheaper and you get more protein than a lot of the prepackaged drinks.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    to the ladies above:

I use them as a recovery drink after a workout. I'm not a fan of replacing entire meals with shakes, as I like to eat my calories, not drink them, but that's entirely personal preference.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    to the ladies above:

Whey protein by itself does not make a healthy meal replacement. It is simply protein, and a meal replacement should have additional vitamins and minerals. It should probably also have some fat and carbs too, but that depends on the rest of your diet.

Most people will mix protein with things like yogurt, peanut butter, fruit, etc when using it as a meal replacement.
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    i replace one meal with a protein shake daily; i also have an extra shake on days i work out hard to keep those calories burning! and yes, i add a fruit with it to complete the meal
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I've been wondering the very same thing...i was wonderiing,if I am only doing cardio and no strength training, would it still be a good idea to take whey protein. Also, what is the lowest cal version?

Whey Isolate is going to be the lowest cal. Which one you go with is up to you.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I dont necessarily replace my breakfast with a protein shake, or at least I dont feel its a meal replacement

Mainly because I add a lot of different things to mine:
    2 cups spinach or kale
    whey protein powder
    almond milk
    frozen fruit or 1 banana
    blueberries
    flaxseed meal

Blend, and enjoy

So while I use this as my breakfast after a workout, its very filling, healthy, and I get fruits and veggies as well...
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 protein shakes a day.. I often will have a smoothie for breakfast (ie. today's breakfast = 1c unsweetened almond milk which is 35 cals, 3 fat, 1 carb, 1 scoop vanilla powder, 1/2 banana, a few strawberries and a cup of spinach)

I ALWAYS drink a shake after I lift weights, within the first 30 minutes if I can! the muscles absorb the nutrients much better in this window.

I've decided to try and shake these up a bit.. I've got a vanilla and a chocolate protein powder at home. Sometimes I will add fruit to them, sometimes PB2 peanut butter, sometimes peppermint extract to the vanilla, ice, and a product that helps thicken it! I have become such a fan of these shakes/smoothies.
    Best of luck!
    My favorite website to purchase stuff off of is www.netrition.com
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    to the ladies above:

The only time I use it as a meal replacement is if I wake up late and have no time to make a good breakfast. So I'll throw some in a shaker and mix it up and drink it on the way to work. It keeps me full until I can go to lunch. I prefer, though, to have them as a snack in between meals and definitely after a workout. Nothing beats real food for a meal.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    to the ladies above:

Whey protein by itself does not make a healthy meal replacement. It is simply protein, and a meal replacement should have additional vitamins and minerals. It should probably also have some fat and carbs too, but that depends on the rest of your diet.

Most people will mix protein with things like yogurt, peanut butter, fruit, etc when using it as a meal replacement.

I agree, my after lifting shake is typically whey protein + yogurt + frozen fruit
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I ALWAYS drink a shake after I lift weights, within the first 30 minutes if I can! the muscles absorb the nutrients much better in this window.

Studies show this to not be true. It can have other benefits, but the absorption window idea is a myth.