more protien needed, less carbs/sugars!

2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    There was a thread a week or so ago about high protein foods for a broke college kid - search for it and it'll give you a TON of good options.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Cauliflower pizza base??? Do tell!!! I'm intrigued!!

Google cauliflower pizza.

Basically you rice cauliflower and then bake it with a little cheese, olive oil, and oregano. The cauliflower sticks together like a crust and then you put your toppings on like normal. Depending it can come out pretty darn good.
  • *bumping for ideas*
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Protein powder. I was trying the natural way and it just cost way too much. Protein powder is far cheaper, and I just put a scoop in my oatmeal in the mornings. Sometimes I'll make a shake up with milk or water later in the day if I find I need more. Works out much cheaper for me.

Protein powder is great if you're trying to supplement to reach your target points (I certainly do), but I'd suggest being very careful if you find that's where most of your macro is coming from. Nothing beats whole foods.

No worries, more than half, and usually 75% of my macros come from natural sources. :wink:
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    bump
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Shop at Walmart Superstore for groceries because they are so much cheaper! I buy a lot of the Great Value brand and end up saving so much money over regular grocery stores. Lots of chicken breasts and tilapia fillets; I also buy these on sale at Albertson's ($1.69/lb for chicken and buy one, get two for tilapia.) Also, brown rice and wheat bread; if the kids don't like it then tough. I used to make black beans and rice a lot as well.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Protein powder is great if you're trying to supplement to reach your target points (I certainly do), but I'd suggest being very careful if you find that's where most of your macro is coming from. Nothing beats whole foods.

No worries, more than half, and usually 75% of my macros come from natural sources. :wink:

I wasn't saying you weren't, I just think it's important to mention in general as getting ALL your protein from powder isn't very good for you. Cheers =)