Will Protein Shakes Help You Feel Full?

Options
jtintx
jtintx Posts: 445 Member
Most days I am not reaching the recommended amount of protein in my diet. I believe MFP only sets it at 15%. I am a bike rider and stress my legs a lot and feel that I should be getting more protein. The problem is that along with protein comes other calories in the form of carbs and and fat. So I'm wondering if I should replace one of my snacks with a protein shake. The protein powder I have is Jay Robb which provides 25 grams of protein and only one gram of carbs. However, I seem to be hungry a lot and I'm concerned that the protein shake (made with water to keep calories low) won't make me feel full and keep hunger at bay. If protein comes in a liquid form does it still suppress your appetite?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Most days I am not reaching the recommended amount of protein in my diet. I believe MFP only sets it at 15%. I am a bike rider and stress my legs a lot and feel that I should be getting more protein. The problem is that along with protein comes other calories in the form of carbs and and fat. So I'm wondering if I should replace one of my snacks with a protein shake. The protein powder I have is Jay Robb which provides 25 grams of protein and only one gram of carbs. However, I seem to be hungry a lot and I'm concerned that the protein shake (made with water to keep calories low) won't make me feel full and keep hunger at bay. If protein comes in a liquid form does it still suppress your appetite?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Isagenix protein shakes? They're about 230 calories and have such high nutrition that they keep me full til the next meal.
  • tuna33
    tuna33 Posts: 12
    Options
    Mine usually keeps me pretty full...it's 40g of protein though and I do have it with milk and take the calorie hit, so that probably plays a big part in why it does fill me up.

What i'd suggest for you is to maybe throw another scoop in your shake?...I mean if you're having it was water then that's not that many cals and 25g Protein to 1g Carbs is a great ratio for the shake. This is, of course, if it fits into your daily caloric intake.

Also, MFP says protein at 15% but if you are active a lot and your muscles go through a lot of stress you will want MUCH more then 15% of your diet to be from protein.

Good luck.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going over mfp's standards on protein and you definitely will benefit from the shakes with the biking you're doing............I'm certainly no expert but from what I've read that will not only keep you satisfied but help with recovery
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Biggest Loser always recommends a Whey Protein shake you can find on their website or at health food stores to help you feel full after work outs and to help your muscles rebuild with the protein after you work out! I have no idea how many calories are in it but I am going to look into it to help me regain muscle strenth! I figure they lose all that weight drinking this so it must be good!:smile:
  • powe8525
    powe8525 Posts: 3
    Options
    Post work out carbs are almost never translated into body fat. Funny thing is most 'good' protein shakes will come with sugar to spike insulin levels. What that does is shuts down the bodies ability to burn fats as fuel and starts pumping amino acids and energy (in the form of blood sugars) into the muscle cells. These sugars are used to make more muscle Glycogen (for later use) and aid in the rebuilding process. They are very important sugars. There are some wonderful articles that go deep into the life cycle of sugar in the blood, as well as the metabolic response to post work out meals. If your into athletic nutrition and want some good PhD level driven research in this topic i would suggest the Muscle and Fitness, Flex, or Muscular Development websites. Granted that most of it applies to meat heads who are trying to put on a lot of muscle, however the biochemistry is the same (minus the enormous amounts of protein).

As far as how much protein you should get in your diet, a good rule of thumb is 1g per pound of body weight for active people. 1.5 if your a dedicated athlete and 2.0 if your goal is muscle growth.

Personally i take a protein drink after a work out if I'm doing Cardio with an apple 30 min before for good solid energy. If I'm going to lift weights ill take one before the work out also.

I use EAS's Myoplex after a workout.

Calories: 210
    Calories from Fat: 25
    Total Fat: 2.5g
    Saturated Fat: 0.5g
    Trans Fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 20mg
    Sodium: 320mg
    Potassium: 290mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 23g
    Dietary Fiber: 3g
    Sugars: 5g