Dang mangos!!!! Help!

Options
porka29
porka29 Posts: 868 Member
Hi all,

Our mango tree is WAYYY out of control thus far this year. I have actually been bagging them up and giving to all my neighbors (which they love) but my tree is paying me back for not producing much since Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and the bit** is dropping at least two publix bags a day - not even busting -RIPE!

So, here's the dilemma. When we moved into this house in 2000, I had not ate many mangos, did that year but eventually got tired of them and found them annoying due to the dog stepping in the rotten ones, bringing it on the tile - flies, gnats and ants..............you get the picture. I haven't ate them in years, but I really want to do something with all these that I'm getting other than making a jam or preserve (no time for canning), thoughts on what to do with them?

Have you ever heard of making mango wine or something to that tune? That sounds fun and a nice alternative to regular wine which I am not too much of a fan of unless it's one of the sweetened ones. Looking for some feedback, thanks!
Christie

Replies

• porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Our mango tree is WAYYY out of control thus far this year. I have actually been bagging them up and giving to all my neighbors (which they love) but my tree is paying me back for not producing much since Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and the bit** is dropping at least two publix bags a day - not even busting -RIPE!

So, here's the dilemma. When we moved into this house in 2000, I had not ate many mangos, did that year but eventually got tired of them and found them annoying due to the dog stepping in the rotten ones, bringing it on the tile - flies, gnats and ants..............you get the picture. I haven't ate them in years, but I really want to do something with all these that I'm getting other than making a jam or preserve (no time for canning), thoughts on what to do with them?

Have you ever heard of making mango wine or something to that tune? That sounds fun and a nice alternative to regular wine which I am not too much of a fan of unless it's one of the sweetened ones. Looking for some feedback, thanks!
    Christie
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cutting them into chunks and freezing the fruit so you can enjoy them longer.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Is there a food pantry handy? :laugh:

I'm in a gang at church that goes anywhere there's chow and gathers and distributes. Food pantries always need food - and some folks would be thrilled with a bag of fresh fruit. Heck - I'd be thrilled with a big bag o' mangoes. :smile:
  • jamiesbeach
    jamiesbeach Posts: 14
    Options
    magotini's!!!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't can either, and I can't offer suggestions about wine, but how about cutting them up, serving size them in air tight packaged (the ones you can suc the air out of) and throw them in the freezer. then you can pull them out little by little and do anything you want with them throughout the year~ yum.. mangos... dangit..where is my afternoon snack!?!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Dehydrate them and send them to me!!!:laugh: :laugh:
    Please??? I'm completely serious here.....:flowerforyou:
  • babyfatt72
    babyfatt72 Posts: 1
    Options
    i sure wish i had a mango tree!!! i have discovered i love mangos!!! i live in Texas so i do not know if a mango tree would work here??? anyways i make mango salsa, it is really great on broiled fish,talipia is what i have used..or pangasius.... mango salsa...1 mango.. 2or3 tomatoes..purple onion about1/3 chopped...fresh cilantro chopped about 3Tbsp....juice from one lime..salt pepper and garlic to taste...mango is also good with greek yoguart....gook luck to you with the wine thing i bet it will be good too...sorry i do not know how to make wine
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I loooove mangos!!!

I agree with freezing chunks. Make yummy smoothies!
    Mango jam is so good! My mom made tons when we lives in Puerto Rico.

I don't have any suggestions for you but I had to chime in on the mango topic :tongue:

Maybe mango bread or muffins?
    Mango crisp?
  • HealthierMamasita
    Options
    gotta share!:angry:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Google some recipes for mango salsa - there is such a variety of ingredients to add that I don't want to recommend just one. You can make it and freeze it. It's great with fish and meat as a garnish.

Also make freezer jam - then there is no canning involved!
    Freezer jams are SOOO good. They taste very fresh, not like regular jam.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/30-minutes-homemade-certo-57924.aspx
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Ok, so here's the plan...we get porka29 to send babyfatt72 the mangos, who makes the salsa, then sends it to us. Our job is to eat it and report back. Nice going everyone. EXCELLENT teamwork! :laugh: :laugh:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I lvoe dried mango...so sweet it curbs that sweet tooth craving....and i agree with freezing them fresh fruit for smoothies! There are some great recipes for mango chicken...its good for that sweet sour thing (which is why mango salsa is yummy)
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the other day I thought I'd eat HALF A MANGO......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!@!!!! YEA RIGHT....

My boyfriend was cutting it up and I just kept slurping the slices down faster than he could produce them.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Food banks?!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Is there a food pantry handy? :laugh:

I'm in a gang at church that goes anywhere there's chow and gathers and distributes. Food pantries always need food - and some folks would be thrilled with a bag of fresh fruit. Heck - I'd be thrilled with a big bag o' mangoes. :smile:

This is a great idea, honestly.
    Local food pantries and shelters are always in need of fresh produce.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cutting them into chunks and freezing the fruit so you can enjoy them longer.

I agree, I buy the frozen Mango chunks at Trader Joes often and they are really good to throw in a smoothie or my favorite is to just let them thaw about half way and eat them as a snack.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Mango wine should be as simple as mixing the mango with some yeast sugar and water in a valved jug.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123159_make-mango-wine.html
  • HealthierMamasita
    Options

Ok, so here's the plan...we get porka29 to send babyfatt72 the mangos, who makes the salsa, then sends it to us. Our job is to eat it and report back. Nice going everyone. EXCELLENT teamwork! :laugh: :laugh:
    Deal! :tongue:
  • HealthierMamasita
    Options
    Mango wine should be as simple as mixing the mango with some yeast sugar and water in a valved jug.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123159_make-mango-wine.html
    Whip some up Mateo!