Running a Race with Tunes...or NOT?

Options
For all of you runners who run longer races... do you strap on music during your races? And if the race rules say that they 'strongly discourage' headphones, do you do it anyway??

I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon in a month (YIKES) and have always trained with music. I admit I'm a little daunted by going out there without some motivating tunes pumping. But I don't wanna piss off the race folks OR the other racers, either.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jgates1966
    jgates1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tunes are a must have for me when running (even during a race). I can't stand to listen to myself breathing while I run. The music also helps me set my running pace and I usually finish the race with a better time.

Good luck with your half!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'd take the deduction in lieu of giving up my Ipod . . . we're like bffs.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k a few weeks ago and someone put speakers in a camelbak pack, I personally enjoyed it when they ran by.
  • nlepine84
    nlepine84 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I plan on using my Ipod in May when I do my first Half Marathon. My girlfriends who have done a few have said they always use theirs. They reccomend you don't incase you don't hear people or cars etc.
    Good luck in your race!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Since I train with them, I would also need to "race" with them.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use my ipod when I run solo, i have never used it during a race.

Just try it without. You'll be fine.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I just posted a similar question about 30 minutes ago...you can search and check out the responses there as well :)
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I train with music and race without.

The rules apply to everyone and are in place for a reason! Safety first!

Karen
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    On all of my runs and in races, I listen to music, but only wear one headphone. That way I can hear if anyone is approaching me because I run in the mornings. There are some races that prohibit it. Just double check the rules.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just ran my first half. IT just said you couldn't wear headphones if you were trying for a prize.. which I was sooo not! Everyone practically was running with their music!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I train with music and race without.

The rules apply to everyone and are in place for a reason! Safety first!

Karen

+1

I'll train indoors with music but any time I'm running outside and my safety relies on being able to hear oncoming traffic the iPod stays home. Same on race day, there's a lot going on around you - you might not be worried about cars but being able to hear other runners and course marshals etc is important.
  • 911chell
    911chell Posts: 26
    Options
    Me and my running buddies call it "EAR TIME" ... When I am in a race I usually run with both ears in however keep the music lower than normal just for some background noise even if they dont suggest it. When I am running with my friends 1 ear in 1 out so we can talk and motivate each other while still rock out and kick some butt
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I do run with music most of the time, but I have it low enough so I can still hear my footfalls. You can also just listen with one earbud in during the race if you're concerned about safety.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't train or race with music.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I used to run with music until my first 9K- where the rules stated that we couldn't run with it. I started training without, and won't go back.

Running without helped me regulate my breathing more, and actually made me faster. It is also easier for me to get a "runners high" than it was with music. It is also safer as you can hear what is going on around you.

I say try doing a couple of runs without the tunes and see how you do- the first time will be weird, but it gets better after that. You also find new ways to push and motivate yourself without the music!

Good Luck!
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't train or race with music.

Same here.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 marathons without the music. I trained with it. For me personally, I enjoy the high of the enviroment when running and taking in the sites. Iam not a speed demon so it wasn't a big deal.Of course that was nearly 20 yrs ago and 80 pounds lighter. Try running a few long runs without them and see how you feel.Either way, best of luck in your race and have Fun!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I want to stop after about 10 minutes if I don't have music on. When I'm in races or running outside I just keep my volume low enough to where I can still hear my music but I can also hear what's going on around me. The only races I plan not to wear my headphones are 5ks that I'm running with friends, this one race called the 10/20 (10 miles, 20 bands--- there is a band playing at every half mile) and then probably the Rock n Roll series races. Otherwise, it's a must for me!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't stand fiddling with headphones when I run, so I don't use them. That said, I was just on the website for the first race I am doing this year and they said headphones are no longer allowed and anyone seen wearing them will be disqualified from prize money...not that I would actually be winning ANY prize money, but...
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I want to stop after about 10 minutes if I don't have music on. When I'm in races or running outside I just keep my volume low enough to where I can still hear my music but I can also hear what's going on around me. The only races I plan not to wear my headphones are 5ks that I'm running with friends, this one race called the 10/20 (10 miles, 20 bands--- there is a band playing at every half mile) and then probably the Rock n Roll series races. Otherwise, it's a must for me!

I just did a Rock N Roll race this past weekend and it was SO much fun! Great bands and lots of people out cheering.

Very organized race for 24,000 runner-- highly recommend it!