Is it ok to cardio on weight lifting days?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
^

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yup.

Some people recommend doing the weight lifting first, in case being tired from the cardio effects your lifting form.

But go for it. Just make sure you're getting the proper nutrients.
  • ojell
    Options
    Okie Dokie. Makes sense! :) THANKS!!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Sure is I do it all of the time. I do my cardio after my weights though. Have fun
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first thing in the AM, before I eat or drink anything. That way I am not weighed down. I follow this with minimum 5G protein breakfast to "allow" my body to begin burning calories. I do weight training later afternoon, before dinner.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes of course. I prefer strength train then cardio.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you have the energy go for it.
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am currently following Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and we do cardio and strength together.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I do, but on strength days, I just decrease my cardio a bit
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Always do cardio after weights... but other then that I do it all the time too.

I can vouch from personal experience that doing a 4 mile run first then lifting makes your muscles laugh at you as you struggle to curl a feather never mind 35 pound dumb bells!
  • nooodll
    nooodll Posts: 38
    Options
    Absolutely, and I find that when I do both, the weight comes off faster.
  • ojell
    Options
    Always do cardio after weights... but other then that I do it all the time too.

I can vouch from personal experience that doing a 4 mile run first then lifting makes your muscles laugh at you as you struggle to curl a feather never mind 35 pound dumb bells!

LoL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of people will lift & run on the same day (myself included)
  • ojell
    Options
    Absolutely, and I find that when I do both, the weight comes off faster.

Now that's what I like to hear! hehe
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    It is completely fine...I see a lot of folks have recommended doing weights first to get a better weight workout.

I do my cardio first thing then eat to start my metabolism and fat burning for the day. I wait a few hours and then do weights and still have no issue with my strength building.

Whatever works for you, but yes cardio and weights is a great program.

Enjoy
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    ojell ~ Thanks for asking the question!!!! I have turned into kind of work out freak! The scale hasn't moved for me lately and I was told to increase my strength training....I enjoy it but sometimes I want to take a long hike or run after and wondered if that was too much. When I can't make a classs at the gym I have just started doing some P90X...then taking a walk..........This is going to be a good summer for me:bigsmile:

Good Luck!!!!! Push Hard :happy:
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wait....I have a question. Weights, then cardio? But the poster in the gym says 10-20 min warmup on cardio; 10-20 min of weights, etc, etc.

Do I not need to do a quick warm up first before doing weights? I have to agree, the days that I have done 30 minutes of cardio, my body doesn't seem to want to push as hard on the weights, but I was thinking just 5-10 min of treadmill running, then weights.

Help! I'm confused!

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    HIIT cardio is better on lifting days than straight steady cardio due to HGH output and some may even say to split the routines by hours as to not add stress to the body.
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do 5 to 10 minutes of cardio as a warm up but that is not my "cardio workout" for that day - I come back after weights to do the full cardio work out. Others are right - my form suffers if I do the full cardio before I do the strength training.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Just make sure you're properly fueled.
  • Dennis781
    Options
    I do the same thing.. Light cardio to warm up, IE 20 mins on the bike or elliptical before hitting the weights. Works wonders to get the blood flowing and get you ready for weight training. Every other day it's 30 mins vigorous cardio, followed by abs, followed by another 30 mins of cardio.