Body fat question

Options
Hi, I posted yesterday on my BMI and stated that it is 23. Some suggested about looking into my body fat %. Well, I looked up online to push in my #. Here are the stats: 36/28/36 and I am 127 lbs looking to get to 115~120. Even when I pushed in when I was : 35/24/35 the body fat was STILL 25!! I am not understanding this. Would you please explain this for this "Dummy"? Thanks! You all are the BEST!!:drinker:

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Basically 25 is considered average. You can look up a chart online to know exactly what it means. Here is a list: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

It is really difficult to get your body fat simply from measurements. You can usually look up a website and plug in the requirement measurements and it will give you a number. These can be skewed, however, if you have a lot of muscle, or a lot of fat. If you have an obscure body shape the number can we swayed as well.

I have a body fat caliper to calculate mine. It bought it on ebay for about 20 bucks and it is really easy to use. Basically it has little pinchers that pinch your skin and calculates what your body fat is based on a few measurements.

My measurements are 37/27/37 and 21.3% body fat last time I checked.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Basically 25 is considered average. You can look up a chart online to know exactly what it means. Here is a list: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

It is really difficult to get your body fat simply from measurements. You can usually look up a website and plug in the requirement measurements and it will give you a number. These can be skewed, however, if you have a lot of muscle, or a lot of fat. If you have an obscure body shape the number can we swayed as well.

I have a body fat caliper to calculate mine. It bought it on ebay for about 20 bucks and it is really easy to use. Basically it has little pinchers that pinch your skin and calculates what your body fat is based on a few measurements.

My measurements are 37/27/37 and 21.3% body fat last time I checked.

Thanks Hun!!! I was worried. I am gonna look into purchasing one. I am so fixated on the scale #...I just figured yesterday...I am looking into my measurements now! Thanks for ALWAYS being there for me! I am soooo EXCITED my measurements are ALMOST like yours!!! I love ya!! HUGS!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i have a body fat machine thing i put that uses electricity to measure your bf%. It is very accurate. It is on amazon for like 30 bucks. I am currently 10% bf.
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can there are electric hand held devices that are very accurate! They deviate less than 5% from the 20000$ machines that olympic dieticians use. I bought one after seeing the dietician at my school, she has both devices as she is part time in the college, and part time with olympic lifters here in montreal.

It's much more encouraging to be honest, instead of paying attention to the scale I set myself a body fat goal instead. The scale is tricky, especially since muscle weighs more than fat so training will inherently build muscle, meaning you've lost a lot more fat than you're giving yourself credit for!

I spent about 40$ on mine (including taxes and shipping) and it works like a charm.

Cheers.
    Z