72 hour "no TV" challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't own a TV, but my bf does and I am only there Friday afternoon - Monday crack of dawn. We rarely watch live TV unless it's a sporting event. If we want to watch something, we normally download the show we want to watch and then put it on our PS3 and watch it that way. We normally always have the tv on in the background with some comedy show playing, but we don't watch it usually. Its just for some laughs if we decide to pay attention. I spend Monday - most of Friday with no TV. But I sometimes will watch tv shows on hulu or a movie that I downloaded. I am so busy with homework and other crap that TV doesn't really take up too much time.

Its a good idea to get off TV. We are probably going to cancel our cable as soon as basketball is over. We will probably keep it off till Football, we aren't really into baseball.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my couch, now in front of the TV is a Stair stepping machine and a spin bike. The kids have TV's in their rooms if they want to watch tv, but I have to be on one of my workout items to watch tv.

This is a great idea. A friend of mine also suggested doing something during the commercial breaks, if you're sitting on the couch watching. You can jog in place, do jumping jacks, situps, pushups... anything to get your heart pumping for those 5-10 min. Its like interval training =]
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree that the PVR helps. I used to watch shows as fillers waiting for the show I wanted to watch to come on. Now I only record the shows I am interested in and watch them on my schedule, sometimes weeks later. It really cut back on my viewing time and I love skipping the commercials. I keep meaning to get a tv for the basement where my eliptical is but maybe I should just haul it upstairs and install it in my living room (toddlers beware), I can always tuck it away when company comes.
  • jbyesh
    jbyesh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We have cancelled our cable last week. Its been a little weird at 1st, but good. We have hulu/netflix streaming. But we're really not using it a ton since we cant just sit and blindly flick thru channels. You really have to be intentional with these 2 programs. Cant say how often we couldnt find a darn thing to watch and paying $60 mo to stare at nothing. Husband has started exercising with me, we're all reading more, finding better ways to spend our time that we "didnt have time for" before.