Foot numbness while running?

Options
Hi all,

While I'm not new to running, I am new to running consistently, and longer distances at that. Yesterday while running 3 miles, both of my feet went numb and felt really heavy. Took about ten minutes of walking after for the feeling to come back completely. Is this something that is normal with beginning runners? The numbness didn't set in until about 1.5 miles.

Thanks.

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    bump i get the same thing
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal, it's unsuitable footwear. I got foot numbness when I increased my distances, got fitted for a new pair at a professional running store and bingo, numbness gone!

Check your gait, too. If you're doing an exaggerated heel landing, this can cause a variety of lower-limb problems.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Check that you are not lacing up too tight (as you run your feet swell and can cause problems a couple of miles in). If the lacing is correct then BerryH has the best advice.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Berry's right. I had this on and off for years until I found the right shoe. It would only happen on longer runs. It would start at around mile 4 and eventually go away around mile 6. Didn't matter how I laced, either. It was probably shoes!

Sorry you're dealing w/ that. It's no fun running w/ feet that feel fat, floppy, heavy, and numb. Then the pins and needles feeling is even better!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with Barry on your numbness issue, Fleet Feet is awesome check them out your feet will thank you.

I have found when my feet get heavy or feel like bricks that my electrolytes are low. I started eatting a small snack befor runs and drinking lots of water, sometimes gatorade on my longer runs. That seems to help keep my feet from feeling like someone has cemented them to the ground;)

Congrats on your running accomplishments!