Ladies- How many hours of cardio and strength do you do dail

Options
Joneses17
Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
I like my current routine but I'm always interested in seeing what others do. My questions are 1) How many days a week do you do cardio and strength training. 2) How long are your cardio and strength sessions? 3) What's your go to strength and cardio exercise?

Replies

• ladyfingers39
    Options
    You might get a better response if you post this in the fitness section.

I do about a hour and a half of cardio a day and about 20 min of strength training.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am going to sound really lazy. But here is my schedule:

3 x 1 hour sessions at the gym:
    ~ 25-30 minutes of strength training or a circuit of free weights
    ~20-30 minutes of interval cardio

Wild Cards
    1-2 hours of purposeful walking (basically I'll walk to do an errand. Most of mine are about 1 mile away, so it will work out to be 2 miles round trip. My usual pace is 2.8-3 MPH)
    30-45 minutes of other strength training (right now I am in the middle of 200 squats, and I don't do this at the gym. I also sometimes do some core exercises at home and not at the gym too, especially when I do the machines and not the weights)
    30 minutes of yoga a week (I am trying to devote more time, but it doesn't always work)

I don't want to exercise anymore than above and here is my philosophy on this. Basically, I wanted to start at the level I would be willing to maintain forever. So going to the gym 5 days a week is likely not going to ever happen for me. At goal, I imagine I will continue to do 3-4 workouts a week, and some of them might be swapped with playing sports or classes or whatever. No need to get my body used to 2 hour daily workouts and then ditch those once I get to goal and gain it all back. :D

As for my cardio? I want to feel like it is working and get it over with. Generally speaking I'll do either hill intervals or springing intervals with a 2:1 ratio of rest to high effort. I use the elliptical. Also trying to build up my endurance on the rowing machine so I am doing some sprints and steady state workouts on that. I am trying to hit 5000m, and I don't do that as intervals. Not quite there yet, but getting close.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    my usual schedule is:
    3 hours of strength training a week
    2 hours of cardio a week
    1 hour of yoga/pilates a week

Cardio is zumba or running, speed or hill intervals, sometimes elliptical.
    Strength is full-body free weight circuit training. Currently I am enrolled in a 7 week TRX/Kettlebell class so that makes up one of the sessions a a week.
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty busy bee right now my schedule is:
    I am trying for a half marathon so I run 5 days a week half hour-an hour (right now) each time
    Kickboxing for one hour a week
    Pilates for an hour a week
    Hot yoga for an hour and a half a week
    Spin for two hours a week
    Bodypump/weights for 2 hours a week

Going to be getting back into my boot camp as well come the summer which will be 3 hours a week and I think it will replace the bodypump and spin :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound super lazy

Cardio-when i get to it. I rode my bike 10 minutes a few days ago. Last week i ran stairs and jogged in place. Other than that nothing outside what i do every day. I do some walking, but i'm not climbing mountains or anything.
    Strength- 15-30+ minutes a day. Every day.
    Yoga/pilates whenever i feel so inclined. 1-3 times a week lately. 10-20 minutes usually.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    **This week is a little off because I was not feeling well, but my typical schedule is as follows

Monday - Friday I typically workout twice a day: Normally Strength training in the morning for 15-20 minutes and Cardio in the Evening for 15 - 20 minutes.

Saturdays- I usually workout 3 times a day in 15-20 minute increments. I usually do a total of 45-60 of a Total Body workout (Strength Training & Cardio).

I am more into QUALITY not QUANTITY - instead of spending hours biking at a steady pace, I rather do a 15-20 minutes HIIT session. Not to mention it keeps me from getting bored with the workouts and makes it easier to fit into my schedule at home.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    -5-6 of days of cardio (2 days I attend a jogging class, other 3 days C25K or just run for how long as I feel, 1 day of any kind of cardio I want (Insanity, running, etc)
    -4 days of strength training (for about 45 - 1 hour)
    -Rest day - I either rest or stretch but now I'm thinking of doing Yoga
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I do at least 45 min/day of cardio. (mstly treadmill, but some cardio. DVD's) with some HIIT first thing in the morning, but usually 60-90 min's. I don't have a set day off because there is usually a day here or there where I can't, or choose not to, workout.

I also do a lighter workout in the afternoon. "Lighter," in that I won't sweat too much. (I jut don't want to have to shower, and do my hair and makeup again.) These afternoon workouts range from easy yoga to quite strenuous ballet.

I do strength training every other day. I have a home gym with a Bowflex-type machine, free weights, and resistance bands, so I can mix and match my workouts.
  • cortneymau
    Options
    Most weeks I do an hour of cardio 6 days a week. And then try to do strength training 3 times a week for 30 to 40 minutes. But right now I have been loving the exercise high so I am doing extra hours on top of regular cardio - mostly Zumba and Yoga though. For strength training I really like the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and then I also pick a few exercises from the ones I know and like to do. For cardio, my fave is the treadmill with a gnarly incline.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You might get a better response if you post this in the fitness section.

I do about a hour and a half of cardio a day and about 20 min of strength training.

I didn't realize I had this posted in the wrong section, thanks! Posting from a phone can be tricky.
  • tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. cardio - zumba 50-60 min
    taebo - 30 min 3-4 times a weeks
    zumba sculpt - 40 min 3-4 times a week
    I also keep moving since I am a catering sales manager ..
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i work out at least 6 days a week for an hour

3 days a week: 30 mins strength train, 15 mins aerobic hiit, 15 minutes anaerobic hit
    2 days a week 45-60 mins aerobic hiit cardio
    1 day a week 45-60 mins steady state cardio or yoga

sometimes i go twice a day if im feeling particularly bored but if i do then the second workout is something easy like a water aerobics class
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    5 days per week:
    lifting days are 45 min lifiting, 30 min cardio (2 seperate sessions .... except leg day which takes about an hr with no cardio)
    cardio days are 45min., 15 min on abs.

so approx 1hr to 1hr.15min.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    i workout 6 days a wk for 45 mts each day. Right now im doing the jillian micheals body revolution set (kinda like P90X)

15 mts cardio (treadmill or elliptical)
    30 mts jillians body revolution dvd - (strength, cardio and abs)
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Typically my week is like this

Monday Nothing
    Tues 40-45 minutes on stepmill (as many weeks as possible)
    Wed 20-30 mins on stepmill, 60 mins zumba, 60 mins body pump
    Thursday Nothing OR 20-30 mins stepmill and 60 minutes zumba OR 40-45 minutes on stepmill
    Friday Nothing
    Saturday 20-30 mins on stepmill, 60 mins zumba, 60 mins body pump
    Sunday 60 minutes zumba or nothing
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do at less 40, but mostly 80 6 day's a week. I always take Shabbat off. Right now I am doing The butt bible workout and loving it :)
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    30 of each for me 4 days a week then I run a mile 2 of the off days.
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    2 days a week I do strength training (about 60mins each) where I mostly focus on my lower body.
    3 - 4 days a week I do about 50mins of cardio which involve jogging and cycling.
  • adavis19
    adavis19 Posts: 4
    Options
    An hour for each 5 days a week. I try to hit different areas of the body on different days for strength training. I also do Les Mills Body Pump classes to strength train. For cardio I run, row, or bike. On days I don't do that I'm in group Plyometrics classes.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do daily, 6-7 days a week:
    -30 Day Shred before work
    -walk 3 miles @ 4.0mph @ lunchtime
    -walk 4.0-4.5 miles @ 4.0mph after dinner.
    I don't have a gym close by, nor would I pay (too cheap) to go to a gym, when I have DVD @ home & love to walk outside... but I will fill in on my treadmill if needed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!