Question for those who exercise in the morning!

Options
Hey guys,
I really want to start exercising in the morning, but I am having hard time with it.
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips that help you get up to exercise in the morning?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• schmoozie26
    schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If there is a way that you can workout with a partner, that makes you accountable to be up and be somewhere. When I got in the mindset....I had no problme getting up at 5 A.M. to workout before work...........till the time change! Still working on that! :)
    Good Luck!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I am not real sure what made me start getting up at 450am but I cant seem to not do it now. I am at the gym by 510 and work out till 610. I think mine is I am starting to see more definition in my arms, legs and dare I say abs. It drives me to see more. To the point that I even go back to the gym in the evenings for another hour. ADDICTED!!!!!!!!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It is tough. You just have to know that once you do it, you are done and you feel really good about yourself. I have to wake up and teach at 5:30 am 3x/week, and it is so hard But once I am done working out, I feel so good and I am glad that I got my butt out of bed!!! haha!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    GET PLENTY OF REST ITS SO MUCH HARDER WHEN YOU HAVEN'T HAD A LOT OF SLEEP
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    For me it's easy. I have 4 kids and by 8:20 (when I leave for the gym), I'm so frustrated with all of them that I need some serious stress relief. HAH!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am every morning to get to my six am yoga class which is about 25 minutes away! Here are my tips for sanity:
    1) Go to bed at a decent hour.
    2) Take a hot shower right when you get up to help wake yourself up!
    3) Have a clementine or tiny glass of OJ or something else for a quick boost.
    4) Get out that door!
    5) Have fun!

I also use my seat warmers in my car to help warm me up on the way to class... tough to be bendy at 6am.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm up every morning at 4:00 to workout! It took me a few weeks to get used to it but its 2nd nature now! I've been doing it since November. I would recommend laying out your workout clothes and everything that you need ahead of time - that way you don't have to fumble around looking for things and you can get right to your workout. I just go down to my basement so not sure about getting motivated to actually travel somewhere if thats what you plan on doing though!
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a morning person for a long time, but now I just do it. There are days I don't want to but I like how I feel after I've gotten my workout done. When I run it's best if I'm meeting someone then it holds me accountable.
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I excersize 3x a week before work, I don't enjoy the early starts but I am fine once I get to the gym. My favourite part of execising in the morning is that great feeling the i get to drive PAST the gym after work!! I hate going after work! x
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My trick (and I have no idea if this would work for anyone else) is to keep my sports bra right next to the bed. So I just have to convince myself to sit up and put it on then it's like I have no choice after that point. I've already committed.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I just drag myself in there and crank up the machines whether I want to or not. Once I get going I'm ok and enjoy it. Some days I get up and cant wait to get in there. I like starting my day with a calorie deficit and then enjoy a protein breakfast soon after.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I drive rush hour about once every two months and it reminds me why I workout at 4:30-5. LOL.

Only trick I have is to put the alarm clock far enough away from you that you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its great...get up, don't think about it, just do it..
    :yawn: .If you have a coffee first or start to ponder the world before you start its easy to talk yourself out of it...So just get up, brush your teeth, grab a bottle of water, and DO IT!:flowerforyou:
    ..and then you'll have the satisfaction that you're done for the day...and shed afew more of those darn calories you're gonna eat later!:smile:
    Good luck!!
  • ElynnPittman
    ElynnPittman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am the OPPOSITE of a morning person but its really the only time I have to work out. I've found its much easier if you:
    1) Pack your gym bag and clothes for the next day the night before, even better if you do it as soon as you get home from work.
    2) Make a to-do list (I use my iphone) of things I have to do before I leave the house (ie: grab lunch from fridge, let the dog out etc so your sleepy brain doesnt have to think quite so much).
    3) Plan your workout the night before- even after a good 10 minute warm up, sometimes I'm still tired, so its good to have goals set before you even get to the gym!

Good luck. I hope this helps!
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    I go to bed early! I'm in bed at 8:30, read to relax, lights out a 9pm, then up at 5:15 for my morning run... It was difficult at first, but I told a lot of people that I was going to do it, so I had to "walk the talk" (is that how that saying is??)... Now it is just part of my routine and makes me feel great throughout the day!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    sometimes i work out in the morning, sometimes mid day sometimes afternoon. i dont really mind doingit, i think if its doen in the morning i have the rest of the day to do what i want wether it be napping or shopping :)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You're probably talking about people who go to work, but I workout around 9:00AM when my kids are in school and baby is down for his first nap. The rest of the day is too busy because I work at home and also work at night. Not to mention the kid routine in the evening with homework and other activities. But yeah, I do it out of necessity, but I used to enjoy working out in the evenings to unwind after the day. It felt great!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit. Keep at it and hopefully it wil become natural for you to get up at that hour.

With that said, i'm still thrown off by daylight savings. Struggling with that 5AM wake up call, but should be fine in another week or so.
  • deesonic
    deesonic Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't particularly like getting up early to work out, but it's the only part of the day I have near complete control of. I work in sales and never know exactly when I'll be done for the day. And when I do get off and home, all I want to do is hang with my family and not take that time away from them. So I'm up at 5am before the wife and kids get up. It's my time. It's also a good way for me to think about what I want to accomplish for the day.
  • hopsimlp
    hopsimlp Posts: 3
    Options
    You just have to do it once then you can keep getting up at that time. The first morning I got up at 5am I was so tired that night I went to bed at 8pm! Since the first day I got up at 5am I haven't missed it since (except the weekends when I get up at 7 instead). Just push yourself to get up and it'll be much easier the next morning.