Low sodium snacks

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
What are your favorite low sodium snacks? I am not necessarily looking for low cal, I NEED to get my sodium under control ASAP though.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Options
    bump?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low you want, but some granola bars are pretty low, some dry cereal can be decent, cream of wheat, yogurt, smoothies, nuts and seeds, sodium free trail mixes. FRUITS AND VEGGIES!! (I notice you eat almost no fresh produce at all ever and those are sooooo good for you and full of vitamins and minerals and fiber and low cal as a bonus even though you said you don't actually require the snacks to be low cal)

I think in general though it's probably best to cut sodium everywhere you can so that your day is balanced that way you don't need to necessarily only have low sodium snacks, try to limit fast food (like 1x a week at most), and restaurant eating (again 1x a week at most) , limit cheese and deli meat intake (these should not be daily staples) you would be better off cooking a chicken or roast and slicing the meat yourself to make daily sandwiches, make more meals at home from scratch (use a crock pot if you are short on time) and use other seasonings for flavor (you can freeze the meals for future use), drink lots of water to help flush it out as well.

I generally eat 1500 calories a day and I'm usually around 1500 sodium for all my meals and snacks, drinks etc combined(anything over 1900 is bad day) and I almost never go over 2500.
  • mscornbread101
    mscornbread101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been eating natural Almonds or unsalted Almonds as some would say. And I have got to say that I am hooked to them. My husband brought me some from Big Lots called "Superior Nut Company = Whole Natural Almonds". Or you can go to any store and look for natural or unsalted Almonds. Hope that helps you!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I know my diary looks horrible, we had a financial hiccup and we have been living off of freezer and cabinet stable foods. i just can't let my sodium continue to be THAT high. Better times are very near at hand, when I can buy produce from the side of the road stands and will also have some $$ to buy it with.

Snacks are my favorite foods - that is why I asked about them.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I have to closely monitor my sodium intake for medical reasons. Here are a few of my favorite snacks:

Greek yogurt + berries
    Greek yogurt + honey + granola
    Raw nuts
    Sodium Free Bread + Raw Almond Butter (Trader Joe's has both and I live off them)
    Fresh Vegetables with Greek Yogurt Dip or Homemade Hummus
    Dried Fruit
    Hard Boiled Eggs

Most unprocessed foods are lower in sodium, usually significantly lower than "low sodium" processed snacks like granola bars and the like.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump.

I am having issues with high sodium too. I thought I was doing good today but then realized that nope...canned stewed tomatoes and tomato paste are pretty high in sodium!!! Gah!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites:

Fruit
    Oatmeal (the stuff in the cylinder has 0 mg sodium, not the instant) Depending on what you mix into it, you can keep it pretty low.
    The "Mini-Wheats" line of cereals all have 0mg sodium. I particularly like the Blueberry and the Cinnamon Streusel. Sugars are higher, but if it's just sodium you're after...
    Already mentioned were greek yogurts. Even the flavored ones are pretty low.
    Planters has a heart-healthy line of nuts that are low sodium, just in case you don't like your nuts raw

Basically I would avoid breads and cheeses and deli meats if you're really trying to get a handle on sodium. When I cook at home, which is just about every day, I don't add any of the salt that's in the recipes I follow. Usually there's enough other flavoring from the spices or other ingredients that it just doesn't need it. Additionally we buy the unsalted or no salt added varieties of canned vegetables and broth/stocks if we can. Kitchen Basics and Progresso both offer no-salt-added broths. And, interestingly enough, our grocery store's brand appears to offer more reduced sodium or unsalted canned foods than the major labels.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    UGH! I struggle with sodium as well.

I will tell you that pretty much in a can or box will have HIGH sodium. Fresh veggies or fruit would be a good choice of snack paired with some protein~ hard boiled egg, string cheese(has sodium), chicken breast strips.