What is your Measure of Success?

Options
So I have lost 185lbs, I'm not bragging..just letting people know where I came from.
I am still a 30.5 BMI..which according to most health care professionals is obese...therefor a health risk and I should get to my "IDEAL" weight or with in my BMI range. I am fluctuating between 205 and 207lbs at 5'8".
I wanted to be 155lbs that was my goal But I eat between 1200 and 1600 cal/day and do physical activity 3-4 times a week and not a budge in a year with MFP, running, my band ect. I was beyond frustrated for a bit. Not giving up but just feeling like I wasn't a total success some how. (even thought I am a success story on a website lol)

I went to hear a Psycologist talk last night to a class of future dietitians. About bias towards obesity and expectation that we have when we start moving towards a healthy lifestyle about weight loss. He believes in Best weight not Ideal weight. Best weight being a personal thing, are you healthy mentally emotionally and physically ..that is the place we should strive for not a BMI. And I thought am I there yet? DO I really NEED to be 155 to be happy? NO That is what I thought right away.
I need to be under 200 to be satisfied and to be comfortable maintaining there..so I changed my goal... 15lbs left instead of 50..and suddenly a weight has been lifted. I don't need to be a size 8 to be happy. I just want to feel healthy, and free and not to struggle..no guilt no obsession and to have energy. I am pretty much there now.

So what is your Measure of Success..is it BMI? Is it a number on the scale? Or is it a feeling of well being?

Replies

• landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose half of my weight. I WAS 373. I wanted to get down to 186. I am 8 pounds away... and haven't lost anything in OVER A MONTH!!!

BUT- i sat back last night and thought to myself... 186 is just a number... I already AM HALF of the Woman I used to be... I am a success. If I continue to lose, I lose. If I maintain, I am ok with that also... I live healthy, and coming into this, I just wanted to be healthy.... and I AM!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good post.

My measure of success is a moving target and changes once I reach individual goals. When I started this journey I was fixated on a number on the scale. I wanted to be healthy which was my motivation for losing weight but once I reached my GW I set new goals for physical fitness, strength training, etc. Now I gauge my success by trying new things I was never able to do before. For example, I learned how to ski in January of this year. I'm buying a nice bicycle so I can ride long distances with my husband. I've signed up for a white water rafting tour of the Colorado river.

Congratulations on your weight loss! You've come a long way and I admire your determination. Good luck!
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To me the measure of success is comparing what I look like now to how I used to look, the number on the scale helps of course, although I'm not a big one on BMI numbers, I go more by weight than anything. The best measure is having to replace all those old clothes that are now too big :) Well done on your loss too!

:happy:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think if I get to 195 I will be half the person I was lol plus I think I will be able to stick below 200lbs there comfortably.

But I like the idea that a new goal..trying new things and accomplishing them like for me..learning to be a kayak guide is one goal. Another is to do a triathalon (not Iron man but sprint to start)..those are new things to keep me going not a number or a clothing size they will show I'm successful at fitness and health
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    My measure was, and still is sometimes, to get in the ideal BMI range for my height. Which will be 150 pounds. An additional 15 pound loss for me may not be necessary, or possible because I have stalled on the weight loss. I like how I look right now, I love how I feel inside and out. I have more confidence, energy and I am so happy with the life I am living. The fact that I am eating lots more junk food than I have in a while isn't helping but mentally I am not in a place where I am being very regimented about what I consume. I had those moments and I don't feel the energy to go that far anymore, even though I am so close to my goal.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Gosh, it's hard to say, when I wore a size 24 and was pushing a 26 I always said I would be happy at a size 12. But I am not, It's not so much about a number or BMI number either yet those are important to me. I think it is funny that I focus on BMI when a lot of classes I took (I have a health science degree) state that BMI isn't that accurate, yet it drives me nuts that I was overweight by BMI standards!!

I feel good now, I am active, happy and I enjoy my workouts but I am still stuck on losing 25 more pouds to be "normal".
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree-- best weight is not defined by BMI or a range on the scale, however what makes you healthy (#1) and HAPPY (close #2 in my mind). I don't think I would be happy at my "perfect" weight, then again I haven't ever been there so who knows- but I do know when I get close and I like the way my clothes fit and my body looks and how I feel when I move-- and then those other numbers become less important. And maybe the goal changes as you get closer- let's find out!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    When I can get up all the stairs at my uni with out dying and sometimes I have collapsed haha :(, my life shall be complete