Strength training/ lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend any thing for someone with no gym membership (but her own body weight, free weights and resistance bands)?

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD might be a good start. Includes cardio.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women (on amazon for like $13)

Check out both Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength beginner programs. Very compact, simple, straightforward, and effective. You can read up lots about them online.

^^^THIS. I haven't started New Rules of Lifting for Women program yet but the book contains SO much factual information and appears to be a great program. I lifted in college when I was an athlete and I'm really excited to get back into it.
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Fantastic information that I've been looking for. Love MFP!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting gives you modifications for at home exercises with dumbbells instead of barbells. And resistance bands can be used for most exercises as well. Especially arm exercises by standing on the band.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Start now for sure!!! My biggest regret is that I waited until I'd lost 75 pounds.... Big mistake!!

I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for women and I totally agree with the others who have recommended it!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I found a good website that will give you some ideas on what to do... i have about 4 programs that i am going to they all last 4-6 wks... im on the first one now and it is great... it mixes strength training and cardio to help you losel weight and tone... if you want to check it out the website is http://weightlossandtraining.com/freeworkoutroutines-women
    There is no such thing as """tone"""

Remember, God kills a kitten every time someone says they want to "tone." Stop killing kittens! :P
    and also a purple unicorn!!
  • Devinsmama2309
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I just bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Can't wait to get it! I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and have seen improvement with that. I think I'm also going to make myself get up early tomorrow morning to go to a Body Pump class to see where I stand.

I appreciate all the feedback! Feel free to add me :)
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    lift hard, lift heavy, lift now! :smile: