Eating Out? What do you grab or where do you go?

Options
I discovered that eating out is inevitable! There is nothing like a good ole healthy home cooked meal prepared for the whole week. What do you do if you travel frequently and can't carry your kitchen w/ you? Or you forget the lunch you packed? Or you want to go out for a celebration lunch/dinner?

I discovered my kind of "safe" going out foods (sodium overload is possible w/ going out).

Convenience store? Boiled eggs (2), apple/cheese pack, protein/granola bar, big jug of water

Forgot my lunch now what? I either go to subway and get a loaded veggie w/ tuna on flatbread, Starbucks panini sandwich, grilled chicken sandwich (minus the bread and replace w/ lettuce - making my own wrap), salad bar (cafeteria/grocery stores), Panera Bread half salad/soup (lentil), Chipotle brown rice burrito bowl. Baja Fresh taquitos w/ beans.

Going out to a quick dinner? Ruby Tuesday's New Orleans seafood (Tilapia, Shrimp, w/ a side of broccoli/mashed cauliflower, or the salad bar) . . . you will be soooo full off of this and over 60g of protein!

What are your grab and gos or places you can "safely" go?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    For me, eating out is usually challenging because I'm not only watching calories, I'm often trying to limit my carb intake.

I like Subway, too, for their salads. At Carl's Jr. I usually get a low carb style turkey burger without mayo and a side salad with their balsamic vinaigrette.

Green salads are always a good choice anywhere if you avoid the ones with items high in sugar or fat (fried noodles, deli meats, fried chicken, dried fruit, etc.) and ask for a low fat dressing on the side.

Any sit down restaurant where you can get a lean steak or grilled chicken breast with just veggies on the side. Most places will happily substitute the baked potato or rice for veggies or a salad. Some of my favorites are Red Lobster, Applebee's and Outback.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My friends at work and I usually go out to eat about once a week. We do our very best to avoid the fast food and have been choosing things like Applebees 550 or less menu, Mimi's Cafe Fit menu, or sticking to things like simple tuna sandwiches and salads. We have our occasional bad choices too, but I find that if I go online and look at the nutritional guides for the menu where we are going, I can plan ahead and know exactly what to order and how many calories it is. It's amazing how bad some of the things that you would think are healthy can be. For example, I love the Chicken Enchilada Soup at Chili's.... I would order it all the time, until I found out that it is 400 calories per serving and loaded with sodium. Check out some of your favorite chain restaurants and see what you can find....