eating back exercise calories?

Options
I see a lot of people say that they do and a lot say that they don't? What is the right answer and why?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people say that they do and a lot say that they don't? What is the right answer and why?

There isn't really a "right answer". MFP is designed for you to eat them back. They give you enough of a calorie deficit that you should be losing even without the exercise.

Some people get their calorie counts from somewhere else, include their exercise in their calorie calculations and then do NOT eat them back. (because it has already been included, just more spread out.)

What you generally should not do is take MFP's calorie count for you, exercise off a fair amount (especially 500+) and then not eat any more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

There isn't really a "right answer". MFP is designed for you to eat them back. They give you enough of a calorie deficit that you should be losing even without the exercise.

Some people get their calorie counts from somewhere else, include their exercise in their calorie calculations and then do NOT eat them back. (because it has already been included, just more spread out.)

What you generally should not do is take MFP's calorie count for you, exercise off a fair amount (especially 500+) and then not eat any more.

^ This is a great answer

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1750*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works best for you.

For me, I can eat some of them back. I can max out my total food calories at 1500. Any exercise beyond that is extra. I will gain weight if I eat more. Just the recipe that works for me! And lots of trial and error too.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are a million posts about this already. I would encourage you to search the threads and I'm sure you'll find the answer you're looking for. =)

Happy day!
  • meowsama
    meowsama Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that I can't stay within MFP's calorie goal for me without exercising, so I am always "eating them back". However, for me, it also helps me sabotage myself by saying, "well, I've got 200 calories left today, I'm having cookies and milk" -- and then consume well over the leftover calories.

You should be even at the end of the day - eat what you've got -- if you are always under your body will go into starvation mode and you'll keep the weight on (trust me, it's true), and if you go over, well. . . that's why we are all here, right?

I struggle with this as well. Thanks for posting. :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no 1 right answer. Anyone who says there is either doesn't really understand the concept, or knows more about you and your diet/exercise/health plan than I do.

To lose weight you need to be in a healthy caloric deficit. There are 2 ways to accomplish that:

1) Set your daily caloric intake at a deficit
    This is what most people do, and is how MFP is designed to work. You figure out your daily caloric need then set your calorie goal lower than that. For example.. if your daily caloric need is 1800, you might set your daily calorie goal to 1400. That puts you in a caloric deficit and you will start to lose weight*. When you exercise you burn additional calories. These burned calories are not accounted for in your daily need or the calorie goal you set based on that need. So exercising increases that caloric deficit. The thing to watch here is how big that deficit gets. Every body responds differently, but the larger the deficit the worse it is for your body (the assumption is that the larger the deficit gets the harder it is to properly fuel your body). And this is why people recommend eating back exercise calories.

2) Use exercise to create the deficit
    With this method you set your daily caloric intake to equal your daily caloric need. Then you exercise and burn calories. Those burned calories are not accounted for when you set your daily goal equal to your daily need, and thus you end up in a deficit. The size of that deficit is dependent on your workouts. You burn 75cals walking the dog and your deficit is 75 cals. You burn 500 cals running and the deficit is 500.

*This is VERY simiplified and makes A LOT of assumptions, but is good enough for this conversation.

As with everything, there is some variance here. Every body resonds differently to diet, exercise, nutrition, etc. so there is some trial and error required to find your body's "sweet spot". Pick one of the above methods, do it for a couple of months and see what happens. Then you can make a couple of subtle changes here and there, do that for a month or two and see if you body responds better or worse. But always start with one of the above methods, then go from there.

One of the biggest problems I see is people mixing elements/strategies from different programs. They want to use MFP's calorie calculations with weight watcher's zero point foods combined with what they heard from their coworker's brother's personal trainer. It doesn't work that way. Unless you really understand the ins and outs of nutrition and exercise (and if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation), you need to pick ONE method and do it. Don't mix them up, don't do a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Pick one, commit to one.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you eat them back (and you should), make sure you are not overestimating your caloric burn. I would reccomend getting a Heart Rate Monitor that tracks calories, and/or err on the conservative side.

I have a Polar ft4 and I love it, it makes my progress so much more real. :) Found it for $60 at bodytronics.com

Good luck!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1750*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.

In the 12,150 threads on this issue, this is by far the clearest explanation I've seen. Thanks!