Running 800m or less?

Options
Hi! I'm NOT an endurance person at all and I have absolutely no interest in running even a 5k. Why would I want to run 3miles?? I wish I had done track in high school because I love sprinting and running shorter distances. I would totally rather kill myself going around a track 2-4 times than going at a steady speed and pacing myself.

I tried googling "800m races" and "list of 500m races" but I'm not seeing anything. Are there any 800m or less races for people that are not professional athletes (like regional or Olympic qualifiers)?? What would I need to google to find them?

Does anyone here run short distances or does everyone just like endurance races??

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm NOT an endurance person at all and I have absolutely no interest in running even a 5k. Why would I want to run 3miles?? I wish I had done track in high school because I love sprinting and running shorter distances. I would totally rather kill myself going around a track 2-4 times than going at a steady speed and pacing myself.

I tried googling "800m races" and "list of 500m races" but I'm not seeing anything. Are there any 800m or less races for people that are not professional athletes (like regional or Olympic qualifiers)?? What would I need to google to find them?

Does anyone here run short distances or does everyone just like endurance races??

You can looking for "master's track races" or "meets" in your city and if anything is available.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: most people who race 400s and 800s log a good deal of mileage. I know a guy who does race 1 mile and under distances for masters regional and national. Dude logs about 100 miles a week.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd say the best way to find out about your options is to contact local running clubs and see if they have suggestions. Sometimes local running clubs will sponsor shorter events, or you could join them for track workouts if you like having other people around to push you or to use as a metric for your own ability.