Am I losing alright?

Options
Here's my story. Please be nice with your responses.I began dieting and excersisng in December because I have really poor self esteem and I was feeling tired and miserable. I was having some minor health issues and I began taking vitamins. I've lost almost 25 lbs and I haven't felt this great in 4 or 5 years!I'm down to 154 lbs(still a lot as I'm only about 5'2'') and I'm wearing 2 sizes smaller pants! I thought I was doing great until I was reading about not eating enough calories, eating cleanly, and strength training. Here is my problem...

I struggle to eat my 1320 calories a day. As a matter of fact I'm under 1200 at least 3 days a week sometimes more. I am sure that I get enough protein as I usually go over my goal and I eat 2 to 3 fruits and veggies a day. I take a good vitamin and I have a decent amount of energy. I'm never hungry or lightheaded. I eat whatever I want but in moderation. I do eat pizza, cheeseburgers, etc for dinner. I eat a small lunch and a small breakfast and I have snacks (usually 100 cal pack snacks) in the evening. I don't eat grilled chicken and steamed veggies everynight. The thing is, I feel great and I'm still losing. Should I be worried I'm not eating right?

Also I have read a lot about the different workouts everyone is doing. I only workout 2 to 4 days a week. It's usually about 2 to 3 hours weekly and it's only cardio (treadmill). I don't have great motivation as far as working out goes and I don't want to get worn out or achey as I deal with children a lot and I have to pick them up, etc. Should I worry that I am not doing any strength training?

I still have about 35 lbs to lose before I am down to my ideal weight and I feel like I'm doing a great job! I feel healthy and happy. I don't deprive or overwork myself and I am happy at the pace I am losing (about 1.5 lb a week or under usually). Should I worry about how I'm losing?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary it's hard to say but from your post I can see a couple of minor tweaks that may be beneficial.

Instead of the snack packs (even if they're only 100 cal) consider a piece or fresh fruit, some raw carrots etc - at 2 03 services of fruits and veg you're a little on the low side. You may also want to keep the burger and/or pizza dinner restricted to one night per week and try healthier alternatives (I enjoy a nice juicy burger or greasy pizza now and again too).

As to your fitness program, I'm a firm believer that a well rounded fitness program includes some strength training - you don't need to be bench pressing 2 x your body weight or anything like that - it can be as simple as some squats, lunges, push-ups and maybe some light dumbbell upper body exercises. Core strength plays a critical role in supporting your spinal column and as you mentioned picking up children could potentially help reduce the risk of you injuring yourself.

2 to 3 hrs a week on the treadmill is 2 to 3 hours more than many adults do, assuming it's at a reasonable intensity it's probably sufficient.

If you feel good, have enough energy you are probably consuming enough calories - if your exercise volume was higher I'd probably think differently. As long as your diet is reasonably well balanced I wouldn't lose any sleep over the extra 100 cal or so a day.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree with Brian. I let my body tell me when to eat. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. BTW, do you measure and weigh your food? A lot of folks do. If you're not doing that, it might be that you really are eating slightly larger portions than you think and are making your daily goals in calories without realizing it.

As for strength training, well I used to let my kids help with that. I literally used them for my lifting when they were little. If they were going to demand my attention when I wanted to be lifting, I figured 2 birds, 1 stone, kwim? I laid them in my arms and lift them in two-handed bicep curls. Then two handed military press. On my back bench press. Sit them on my stomach for weighted crunches. Etc.

HTH
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks.I do weigh and measure my foods. I am very careful with my calories and I never ever go over. My concern is that I am not eating enough calories. I usually eat oatmeal with fruit in the morning. A fresh vegetable and/ or fruit for lunch. And whatever it is I want for dinner that keeps it under my calorie goal. For snacks My fav is the 100 cal pack smartfood popcorn and grapes. :)

I agree I could probably incorporate a few minutes of strength into the workout. I do a half hour or an hour on the treadmill 2 to 4 times a week going about 3 mph which is fast for me because I have short legs. I really didn't know I was doing anything wrong until I read some of the posts here.

Oh and I certainly don't eat burgers and [pizza every night....lol. But I eat whatever it is I feel like. I'm just saying I don't eat clean everyday.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    Bump! Any more advice?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hypothyroidism, depression and chronic fatigue. I know what it's like to not want to push yourself working out because are you going to be able to function tomorrow? I have found that exercise is the key to staying healthy and feeling good. It's the ONLY thing that keeps me from getting down and out and unable to do much. I have to force myself some days, but I have NEVER regretted a good workout (unless I was truly sick that is).

Try to eat a little more. Aim for about 100 calories more right now. You're losing now, and that's great, but you want to maintain and stay healthy eventually. Usually a healthy fat does you good. Avocado, olive oil, a handful of nuts.

Don't be afraid of lifting weights! It will only help. By building your muscles (and maintaining what you already have) you boost your metabolism. Cardio exercise is great while you do it (and perhaps up to an hour following) but has no lasting metabolic effect. Lifting weights gives you the burn while you do it, plus a higher overall daily burn while the muscles are being repaired and maintained. Excellent way to bust through a plateau. I'm reading the New Rules of Lifting For Women. The author is quite amusing to me, and he wrote a good book about weight training and fitness. It's not horribly expensive, I got mine at Barnes & Noble. It's also on Amazon. A good read even if you don't end up using it.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    Thank you lizard! I too suffer from depression and anxiety but since I began to excersise I notice that it has been dramatically less severe! I also love to read so thanks for the book suggestion! I could try to eat about 100 cal more daily but I'm worried about going over too much on protein, etc. I'm looking into some mild strength training to start off and I'm also wondering if I can't start eating cleaner and still reach my cal goal.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of protein, unless you have a kidney issue. Protein is good for you! Especially lean sources.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    Don't be afraid of protein, unless you have a kidney issue. Protein is good for you! Especially lean sources.

Thanks.As far as I know my kidneys are good. Maybe i won't worry so much when I go over my protein.