Food and Bad mood

Options
2»

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian, I'm sure you've heard this! Make sure you're getting complete protein every day - not getting it will make you cranky! It's not healthy if you can't get in complete proteins, so be sure you're watching that. No single vegetable source has everything you need in a day.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Glucose is preferred brain food, so lack of carbs can cause moodiness and depression. Also, fat is needed for a lot of hormone synthesizing, so not eating enough fat can cause moodiness and depression as well.

Yes! When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes my doctor told me to stay away from sugars and carbs until I got my glucose monitor. It was the longest three days of my life. Not only did the lack of carbs/sugar leave me insanely lightheaded and shaky, it made me want to kill everyone. And I assure you it had nothing to do with pregnancy or hormones.

This is why comfort foods are things like Mac & Cheese, Mashed Potatoes, etc. High fat, high carbs makes people happy--at least in the short term.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you getting? If it's less than 25 to 30% of your daily calories, I'd seriously consider increasing it.

There's even a book ("The Good Mood Diet" by Dr. Susan M. Kleiner) that talks about the importance of having enough fats in your diet (among other things.) I haven't read the book, but have read a few articles. (Actually heard about this in another book, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".)

My personal experience also supports this. When I was on a low fat diet my digestion did not function as well and I tended to get cranky much easier. Now that I'm on a more moderate diet with 25 to 30% of my daily calories coming from fat I feel much better.

Hope you figure out what works best for your body soon.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks guys for your replies , I'm just like a 100 50 calories under my daily goal . Sugars .. Im using stevia a lot XD sometimes I'm over my daily goal on sugar and carbs , but not in fat .

"My Daily Goal 1,310calories

180 - carbs
    44- fat
    49 protein
    2500 sodium
    26 sugars

My lows are aalways sodium , fats , highs protein , carbs sugars , but maybe I'm not getting the good ones :p

You are not getting near enough protein. You also may want to consider upping your calories to 1400. I started losing weight and fat when I did, now I am up to eating around 1600 per day, I am a size 2 and very VERY happy and in a great mood, I am not hungry nor do I feel like I am going with out.

I am a crazy person when I am hungry. It took my husband exactly one year of dating me to figure out he better cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get off the exit if I say I am hungry on a road trip. :)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

hahah ! thanks : ) I just have those numbers because is the plan that MFP gave me at first I was at 1340 , then I switch to 1310 ( I want to lose 1 pound per week ) but you think I should change my daily goals myself ? what is a good amount of

I know pictures can be deceiving but it looks to me like you are not really over weight, maybe over where you wanna be? I would suggest upping your cals to 1400 for a few weeks to see how it goes. I just picked up some whey protein, 27 g protein and 140 calories per serving. I eat a lot of vegetarian foods so non soy protein is important to me. I highly suggest buckwheat noodles, that will give you carbs and protein in one swoop.

Of course being a vegetarian you know what proteins to eat, just eat more of them. Almonds, almond butter,(nuts in general) beans and of course tofu. Lightlife also makes some darn good pepperoni and bacon products. I heart them. :)