Washing hair?

Options
2»

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair every 2-3 days (don't worry, i shower1-2 times a day)
    Every time I don't wash it I just condition it... I don't use anything special, just the cheapo stuff that's .78 a bottle. :)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I wet it and condition it when I shower after my workouts. I usually wash it just 3x a week. I have crazy hair which turns into a fuzzball if it's too dry. I try not to strip away the natural oils. If you do wash it though, use a gentle, natural shampoo.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I wet it and condition it when I shower after my workouts. I usually wash it just 3x a week. I have crazy hair which turns into a fuzzball if it's too dry. I try not to strip away the natural oils. If you do wash it though, use a gentle, natural shampoo.
    You have crazy hair??? NAH...
    Like others have said, gently shampoos, or just wet and condition. I do wash it about 6x/wk tho.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I usually just rinse my hair out...if you wash every day, the natural oils on your scalp gets dried out, causing the frizzies. So I will sprinkle some cornstarch in my hair to soak up excess oils and brush out (do this if you have lighter hair, if you have dark hair, it will look gray).

For the moisturizing, I *LOVE* Fekkai Glossing Cream...just a tiny dab and buh-bye frizzies! (I double process my hair, so it can get extra dry)
  • lilcmac22
    lilcmac22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say use conditioner. I have wavy/curly hair that easily dries out. Conditioners contain cleansing properties that are found in shampoos without the hair stripping properties. Get a light weight conditioner (I use vo5) and gently use your fingertips to rub it into your scalp really well. It will clean and condition it at the same time. Naturally Curly people call it co-washing. The first few times you do it your hair may feel a little grimy, but your hair will adapt and be clean!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Buy Dry Shampoo - it will be your new best friend. It is a quick fix for greasy hair. If you do continue to wash your hair that frequently, try a coconut oil leave in treatment once or twice a week. Also, leave in conditioners can work wonders. I use It's a Ten! leave in conditioner - its a miracle worker!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Rinse it out and use conditioner but without washing again. Try to stick to less frequent shampooing!
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Use conditioner instead of shampooing everyday.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    washing every day gets rid of natural oils in your hair and can actually cause your scalp to be even more oily. and it's not healthy for you to wash your hair more than every other day or so. try using baby powder in your hair to sop up the sweat or dry shampoo.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Welllll hair dryers tend to make your hair frizz so using just a towel will help keep the heat off your hair and cut down on the frizz.

Just wash your hair with the water then use soap and conditioner after the very last workout.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was also going to say try using JUST conditioner instead of shampoo. Wash with it just like you would wash with shampoo. Gets your scalp clean while leaving your hair hydrated. It's the high amounts of sulfates (the things that make the bubbles) that dries hair out. (which is why you have to follow up whit conditioner when you use it!!! :D)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i use organix shampoo and conditioner when i shower twice a day. boyfriend's family is all hairdressers and they recommend sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners to help prevent hair damage.
    maybe once a week i'll just rinse my hair instead of washing it, but i've noticed it definitely looks greasier and just more blah.
    and i don't shower on my rest days because i hate showering.
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't use shampoo every time...the extra washing just use conditioner.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Deep conditioning treatment at least three times a week! I use Aussie 3-minute miracle.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I don't "wash" my hair after every workout. I tend to only shampoo my hair maybe twice a week, BUT I condition my hair everytime I shower. I have naturally curly (READ: DRY/FRIZZY) hair. I use Dove daily moisture conditioner each and everytime. It leaves my hair shiny and nourished.

this.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just rinse my hair, no shampoo or conditioner, and then I apply my normal hair goo (moisturizing/anti-frizz stuff by garnier fructis) and then just let it air dry as I usually do. This way I feel like I'm not stripping out the oils, just rinsing away the filth. I usually do this on days I didn't go to the gym when I know I'll be working out and showering pretty early the next day.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair maybe every other day to keep it nice and soft (don't worry, I bathe daily haha). I brush my hair out and let the sweat dry (I know gross), and then later on use a dry shampoo so it's not gross. I've also developed quite a few cute "you'd never know my hair is dirty" hair styles for my non-wash days haha

Me, too. I don't want to wash every day because it is fine and flys away if I don't blow dry it and it's bad for my color to wash and/or dry it every day (or twice if I did it in the morning already). I work out in the evening and then let the sweat dry out and just take a body shower. In the morning I use the dry shampoo on my off hair wash day. Tresemme has a line of the spray dry shampoo that you can get most anywhere. Dry shampoo used to be hard to find. It actually gives some nice volume and texture for me (straight and fine hair) and I know they have a mousse one for curly hair. I used to use baby powder or Pssst! but this is great and is very lightly scented so it really freshens you up.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you don't use conditioner I suggest you pick up some, whether to put in while showering or as a leave-in afterward. If your hair is still damaged feeling even after bringing that into your regime, then you're probably going to need to switch shampoos and look for ones that repair damaged hair along with serums, especially if you introduce your hair to heat. (John Frieda's Frizz-Ease has a serum specifically to protect hair that's blow-dried, straightened, curled with an iron or any other heat that would hurt it)

There is nothing wrong with washing your hair every day despite lots of people and a couple studies saying to only do it every other day or only three or so times a week. But if you're using a harsh shampoo and you, say, color your hair or heat style it a lot then it does hurt it. If you're comfortable with a dry shampoo then you can try that, but I know personally I wouldn't feel clean after sweating profusely to just spray stuff into my hair.

If nothing else, consult the person who cuts your hair.