[[ MEETING OUR CALORIE GOALS ]]

Options
Ok so I was told that many of us underestimate our calories 10-15%. My calorie goal is set to 1250 and I sometimes eat back my workout calories... Basically I have 2 questions. 1 should I eat my workout calories back? And 2 many times I'm left with like 60 calories at the end of the day and it's telling me I'm eating too few but its only 60... And that gives me room if I make any mistakes with my food measurements... Which I'm sure will happen. Thoughts?

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    It only gives you that warning if you're under 1200 calories. I'm guessing you get this on days you don't workout and eat back your exercise calories?

Most people are different when it comes to workout calories, some like to eat half or all of them. I eat half.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritionaly dense, real food if you feel hungry. I doubt that lion over there counts how many bites of zebra he gets :p
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    60 calories is less than 5% of your daily goal, and with you working out (and eating more food) it works out to even less than that in %, so I would not be concerned at all. You are probably right on track.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish MFP gave you a small range as a calorie goal. The way it's set up now, everyone wants that message that says "(username) completed her food diary and was under her calorie goal." But being under means you're not eating everything you should! With a range, the message would say you were "within your calorie goal range."

That said, 60 calories is nothing, especially if you "guestimated" some of your entries. Besides, if you eat the exact same amount of calories every day your body will become very efficient at operating at that level and weight loss could stop.

I'm too far from 1200 to ever get that message, but I would eat back some exercise calories if I did significant exercise that day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritionaly dense, real food if you feel hungry. I doubt that lion over there counts how many bites of zebra he gets :p
    We aren't exactly living in the wild, you know. Animals do get overweight if they have constant unregulated access to food. You can bet that in captivity, someone is counting how much meat the lions are eating.