what cardio fits into a very busy schedule?

Options
I do take the dog jogging when I have a free moment, but for the most part I sit at work and then have my 4 year old and not much time to "actually" work out/exercise! Don't get me wrong when I am focused on my son I am not sitting on my behind, he is super active and I am keeping up with him, but it's not a real cardio workout.

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease so I have been forced to cut all gluten from my diet which has actually helped a lot with eating healthily, I am still adjusting to it though and figuring out what I can and can't eat (ie what is actually gluten free). So my diet is getting there and I am good at fitting situps/pushups/exercise ball workouts into my regime (I can do those things with my son), but I am lacking the cardio aspect of things and it's a seriously important part of weight loss.

Now that it's nice I try to get my son out for a bike ride and I run along side him, it's been great and I know I am not getting MORE cardio than I did before but I don't really think it's consistant enough to really count...he bikes fast then takes a break, then goes and gets distracted by another dog or a person or a child etc...so it's not like when I can go jogging by myself and have 30 minutes of solid cardio...I don't want to make it "work" for my son, I want to keep it fun and I know for sure playing at the park will help with cardio, but is that enough to lose weight combined with a healthy diet and actual workouts once or twice a week that include a jog?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i also have gluten issues. it's a pain but it has really helped with cutting calories since i can't eat any more of the foods i used to overeat.

anyway back to your question, look up tabata protocols and anaerobic hiit. those can give you great cardio in 4-15 minutes. but those will be the most insane 4-15 minutes of your life
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I totally used to over eat my favorite gluten filled foods too! I think perhaps I ate my life-time limit and that caused celiac disease lol

Thanks for the tip! I googled a little bit and it looks like something I can incorporate into my week!! Hopefully I stick with it, it would be nice to actually reach the goal I have had for 4 years lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the goodnews is that the workouts are short enough that you can fit into your day. plus they are addictive! i can only do 3 or 4 of these a week fir no more than 15 minutes, but a few months ago i could only manage 1 session for max 9 minutes.

i now see my longer cardio sessions as ways to do better on the hiit days
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When it's not too warm here (which is about 9 months out of the year for MN), I run during lunch. I wipe down with baby wipes then afterwards, little spritz and good to go. My co-workers don't seem to ming. An hour break is perfect to change, run 3 miles, change again and then I eat at my desk.
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac too (As does my 9 year old Daughter) It took us about a year to get completely comfortable with it. As for a quick cardio I do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It takes about 22 minutes and I burn over 200 calories. Good Luck and feel free to friend me :)
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    Using a stepper is an excellent way to burn calories quickly. You can burn 200 calories in 15 minutes if you push yourself.
  • JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK
    JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i'm a busy mom of a one year old- i get up before the family and workout with my wii game- i do a 20 min cardiolmost morning and at lunch I walk or i hit the gym. Sometimes i workout after baby's bedtime.