Protein ?

Options
dezwark
dezwark Posts: 144 Member
Would having a protein shake after workout keep someone from losing weight? Me weight loss stalled and that is the only thing i am doing different. would it be better to have that as a meal and not a snack? not sure if i should have them occasionally or go back to everyday or just stop. any thoughts?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    In and of itself, it won't do that unless you are allergic to something it in. Weight loss has to do with total calories consumed being less that total calories burned. Stalling can have a whole host of causes. Sometimes people are still losing fat, but the scale is not showing it which is why measurements are important. How long have you been stalled? Are you meeting your calorie goal? Are you going way below or way above? How long have you been at this?
  • dezwark
    Options
    i was doing really well. i reached a plateau at about 140lbs and started zig zagging my calories and got down to 128lbs and was doing good. thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year i really slacked but have been getting back on it and i am currently at 138lbs :(( i did turbo jam and didn't lose any weight but i could tell that i wasn't as tired and my muscles could feel it but i just wasn't happy with the numbers. i started p90x yesterday and my muscles really feel it. the nutrition plan for it says protein shakes and after not losing anything on turbo jam with it, i wasn't sure if i should start it up again or not. i eat 1200 calories and then i usually eat my workout cals too. i don't normally go over. so i guess i am not sure what i am doing wrong or if i should go back to zig zagging. i just didn't yet because with the p90x i feel like my body needs the food because it is a tough workout.
    In and of itself, it won't do that unless you are allergic to something it in. Weight loss has to do with total calories consumed being less that total calories burned. Stalling can have a whole host of causes. Sometimes people are still losing fat, but the scale is not showing it which is why measurements are important. How long have you been stalled? Are you meeting your calorie goal? Are you going way below or way above? How long have you been at this?
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    Funny enough, I tried protein powder for the first time when I tried that, "Eat 30g of protein within 30 min's of waking," recommendation as an "easy" way to lose weight, in and of itself.

...Failed miserably. Gained 7lbs in 2 weeks and had to abandon the experiment. (Protein powder was recommended, if not eating bacon & eggs, etc.)

Since I have this protein powder, I will sometimes add it to my diet, just to improve my fat/carb/protein ratios. But, funny thing, I always gain weight on days that I eat it.

I don't know if it's coincidental or causational. I don't weigh myself every single day, and I am losing weight at a pretty steady pace. I don't see how (scientifically) it should be any different than any other food. But...
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing measurements as well? I'm wondering if there is a bigger change in inches than what the scale is showing. Some days I have two protein shakes (one after working out and one if I am too low on calories that day). I have been doing this since December and have been consistently losing.

Have you looked into other things you are eating? I noticed bigger results when I dropped alot of processed foods and sugars. Everyone is different but this really made a difference in both my weight and having more energy.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going over your calorie allotment, you shouldn't be gaining weight by adding a protein shake. What may be going on is conversion over to muscles with the added protein. You'll start dropping again soon if this is the case. I lose in spurts, and I eat high protein. But my size has shrunk rapidly! I'm almost down a whole dress size in just a short while. I've lost over 6 inches! Only 2 pounds in this time though. I stall 3-4 weeks, then drop a few pounds, stall again, then drop a few. Frustrating, but at least I'm heading the right direction!
  • dezwark
    Options
    thank you everyone. they only sugar that i allow myself other then natural is i have one cup of cappuccino in the morning. no processed foods. i am currently trying to eat all 1 ingredient foods. so i don't "think" it's what i am eating. most days anyways. i haven't measured in awhile so maybe i will do that in the morning just to see. plus most days i don't even get close to allowed sodium and i do feel my muscles getting stronger so maybe i am just making muscle.