Runners: What is the hardest part of your run?

Options

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    first quarter mile or so is always a bit rough until I get into a good stride and loosen/warm up. Anything after 2 hrs, I do start to check the watch a bit more. The last half mile of a long run seem to last forever no matter the distance.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For me the hardest part is getting my shoes on and getting out the door - I do a pretty good warm up so it doesn't take long to settle in.

The second hardest part is taking the time to stretch properly afterward, there's usually a pot of coffee beckoning and the temptation to just flop down into comfortable chair with a cup of joe is very strong some days. Fortunately some part of my brain remembers my IT band issue from last fall.......
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My long runs, which are outside, there are two parts.

The first is the first 2-3 miles. Even if I'm pacing out correctly, my body never feels like it's going to make it for the duration of the run.

The second part is the last quarter mile before the turnaround. I run X.5 mile distances, and I have an app that tells me distance and current pace every half a mile. So there's always a quarter of a mile from the last coaching before my halfway point to where I actually turn around and head back. And that quarter mile always feel like a whole mile in itself.

But once I turnaround, everything gets even better than the first half of the run.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Probably when I'm getting near the halfway point so I know I gotta repeat what I did all over again and then some.

This ^^
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For me, it is always the beginning. I feel like I take a good 1/2 mile to a mile to get warmed up, loosen up the joints, get the muscles working, etc.. then it's on!
  • bzinke
    bzinke Posts: 5
    Options
    For me whether on a treadmill or outside, the hardest part is the first mile.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love the first mile! I usually feel fresh and am excited to get moving. The hardest part for me is probably at about mile 2 or 3 when I realize I've pushed it a little too hard and am breathing a little too hard and need to back it off a little. I never want to but I know it's the right thing to do if I want to keep running.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    *Usually* it's the first mile..or 3/4 of the first mile. Sometimes I can take off and it feels awesome and it all goes well and I can run right into the sunset, but most of the time, it's the first 1000 steps that get me until I'm warmed up.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    On the road, the second mile is the toughest.

On a treadmill, the first and the last portions.

I prefer outdoor running but treadmill works best with my schedule. But it's still a struggle to get on that damn machine.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    the first 5-10 minutes (1-2 kilometres) are by far the most hard for me. I almost beg myself to keep at least walking.
    After this I don't care. Sometimes I increase my speed when I know I'm near to my 5k or 10k (depending of the day)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is getting to mike 1.5 after that I don't have issues. It's mostly mental and I don't feel like it. Nice I get the groove going I don't want to stop.
  • newcomer9
    newcomer9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    first part
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Same, always the first 10 mins! And that goes for any workout
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    For me the hardest part is starting. Once I start it just gets easier from there.

^^^ This!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I ran 6 miles the other day..first 1-2 miles was pretty tough, especially with the heat..few miles during the run were my stuggles..then i knew i had like a mile to go..and told myself.."Thank God"
  • bzinke
    bzinke Posts: 5
    Options
    I just had to come to terms with the fact that no matter how long I run I will always struggle at first. So start at a slow pace and gradually increase your speed as your breathing gets easier. Nobody can go from rest to run without some struggle with breathing. :-) Stay strong!
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I think the last part is the hardest, when you're already exhausted but have to push yourself :)
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    For me the hardest part is starting. Once I start it just gets easier from there.

^^^ This!
    same here
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The last part of a run... whether it's 3 miles or a 1/2 marathon... the last 1/2 mile or so is incredibly difficult for me. And so discouraging when I run with friends and they get that burst of adrenaline at the end of the run and can sprint to the finish... :frown:
  • ilike2run
    ilike2run Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    me too, :) medically speaking, I can tell you why the first part is the hardest. All of your oxygen is going to your large muscle groups..quads, hamstrings, glutes etc. Your lungs can't exchange air quick enough to compensate for about 3-7 minutes. As far as the end...for me it's all mental. I can run two or 26.2 and the end is always hard!!