Does your smartphone have a password?

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
If you don't have a password set on your iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, or other smartphone, you may set one up after reading this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/tech/mobile/lost-smartphones-security/index.html

Although...I'm not sure it's fair to say 'most finders' since they only tested using 50 devices....but still. Something to consider.

I sure wouldn't want someone accessing my MyFitnessPal app and adding a bunch of calories to my diary!! :tongue:

Replies

• mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had lost my iphone once in a best buy and ever since then i have my iphone pw protected. If the wrong password is entered more than 10 times, the entire iphone is supposed to erase itself. not that I have anything bad on their really - who knows what kind of banking info etc they could find through emails?
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yeppers, and the wifes phone we can go online and track it and shut if off if lost.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yep, both myself and my fiance have number-code locks on our iPhones.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    yep. and if I ever lose it I will probably do a remote wipe of the whole thing just to be safe.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have my iPhone PW protected but I hate having to always put in my PW since I am ALWAYS on it lol :laugh: But I have the PW set for that reason, just in case I lose my phone
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yup.. and I have it set to delete everything on my phone after 10 tries... That makes me make sure I back up my phone all the time too.. so it's two fold.
  • Momma1213
    Momma1213 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have mine protected by drawing a code instead of a numeric password. I also have remote access to it and will wipe it clean should it ever get lost/stolen.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    In the 7 years I've owned a cellphone I've never lost my phone so when I switched to an iphone last year I didn't really bother with a password. Now if I go out of state on a vacation I would because even though it's often in my pocket or a purse pocket (and I always keep my purse glued to me after the one time someone stole a $200 camera from my bag in a restaurant) I know vacations are usually when people lose or forget stuff.

I'm a paranoid person by nature so whenever I feel something's in danger of being stolen/hacked into/whatever I do everything but physically padlock my stuff.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have mine protected by drawing a code instead of a numeric password. I also have remote access to it and will wipe it clean should it ever get lost/stolen.

What program did you use to have it wiped clean if it were lost or stolen?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have a passcode because my iPhone is a work phone, and they require that it be locked when not in use.

When I just had a personal cell (BlackBerry), I did not have a password lock. I just kept the keypad locked because I was always butt dialing or purse dialing people.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure what someone could get if they found my phone. Sure they could get my email, but that still won't give them access to my bank account.
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    yep my blackberry is password protected mainly cause its a company phone... blackberrys automatically get cleared if / when the password is botched too many times.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    There was a guy in my ASL class that worked at a bar, and he said that whenever somebody would drink until they passed out, he would get their phone and send all of their dirty photos to their parents. Not sure about the legality of this, but I guess this shows the importance of having a password, and not drinking until you pass out in a public place.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure what someone could get if they found my phone. Sure they could get my email, but that still won't give them access to my bank account.

people steal smart phones to sell them on the street for cash, once they have cash, they buy drugs.
  • Momma1213
    Momma1213 Posts: 56
    Options
    To wipe my phone I use Where's my Droid. There is a free version and a Pro version The app can be located in Google Play. I think the My Life app can also do this along with some other cool features but I haven't had the time to review it yet.

For the lock I use Magic Pro Theme Locker.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I sure do :)
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a corporate BB. Password is mandatory, and I can't remove it.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I do not. Mine never leaves me. I've never once misplaced, much less completely lost, a phone, going on 11 years of having one now.

In the unlikely event anything happens to it, remote wipe and move on to the next one.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    LOL about the adding calories to your MFP

I used to have a password set to my HTC wildfire but I just got too lazy to keep up with it, it is easier to use without one. I saw that article on the news the other day, which sparked the password.

My only thing is what if you do lose your phone, and someone picked it up to see who it belonged to and couldn't get into it to see, how would you get your phone back? I know you could call the phone and they answer it but outside of that, might not be easy to get your phone back.