Postpartum Fitness&Diet Advice?

Options
I am 33 weeks and 3 days pregnant today and am starting to think of what my plan will be postpartum. I've been doing the elliptical for an hr a day during my second/third trimesters (I was too sick during my first trimester). And I've been trying to eat healthy as best I can. I'm just really wanting to get back to losing after this and was wondering if any new moms have some good advice on what worked for them postpartum, I have gained right on track so hopefully it won't be too hard to get back to pre-pregnancy weight but I want to lose more than that as I started off overweight. I am also planning to wear a postpartum girdle has anyone ever tried this?

Thank you for your insight! :-)

Replies

• LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The only advice I'd really have (and you're not going to like it!) is to go VERY easy on yourself for 6 weeks after you deliver. Don't plan on doing much exercise, and if you find you can't stick to a great diet during this time don't beat yourself up about it. You might not have TIME to eat.

Breastfeed.

Sleep when baby sleeps or you will burn out.

Ignore people who lose all the baby weight within a few weeks, they are robots/aliens.

Some of the weight will just fall off without you even trying. But for those lbs that won't budge, just go back to doing what you've been doing throughout your pregnancy....but with some strength training is what I'd do.
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    keep in mind it took you a year to gain it, give it about a year to lose it. I found breastfeeding really helped! (if you plan to do it) take it easy eat well go for light walks after. When your baby is 6 months then you will be able to really get into it. It will take about 3 months for your belly to go back down. dont weorry about it, enjoy your little one :)
  • pursuinghappy
    Options
    The only advice I'd really have (and you're not going to like it!) is to go VERY easy on yourself for 6 weeks after you deliver. Don't plan on doing much exercise, and if you find you can't stick to a great diet during this time don't beat yourself up about it. You might not have TIME to eat.

Absolutely this. Enjoy the newborn phase and be kind to yourself. Your body just grew another human being! Let it rest!
  • AmiAlcocer
    Options
    I found that for me, the first year postpartum, other than the initial loss of 20lbs after the baby, was a year of 'maintaining'. I just didn't have the energy to watch my diet and exercise. Also, I was exclusively breastfeeding for both, and I found that until both kiddos began to eat significant amounts of solids, I couldn't cut calories without wanting to eat my own arm. Even though I was very overweight, to my body, I was just 10lbs above my prepregnancy weight, and it was very determined to keep that extra cushion to keep my baby fed. I started solids for both around 6 months, but it wasn't until both were about a year old that solids became a more significant chunk of their diet. I also have nursing amennorhea, so I didn't start cycling until around the year mark~maybe my extra sensitivity to hormones made it harder for me, who knows.

That said, for the first 6 weeks, take it easy and DON'T diet if you are planning to breastfeed. It takes that long to regulate your milk production, and you don't want to tell your body it is starving (which is what any calorie reduction is physiologically), so it cuts off milk production.

If it helps, I found that the extra calories burned through nursing help in the weight loss department. I found that if I ate maintenance calories for my height/weight, I'd actually lose 1-2lbs a week, since nursing burns 500 calories/day. And that was with nursing a 13month old too, who nursed significantly less than a little nursling. I call it my 'milk workout' calories. :)
  • ELee0517
    ELee0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, plan on not worrying at all about dieting or exercising for at least 6 weeks, if not longer. Depending on what kind of disposition your newborn has, dieting may be the LAST thing on your mind. You'll be worry about their feeding, your sleep deprivation, etc. I would even say wait 3 months, let your body adjust to being post partum, and go from there. And you might be surprised, if you ate well & exercised during your pregnancy you may not have much to do afterwards. Best of luck!
  • ably65
    ably65 Posts: 41
    Options
    First of all, congratulations!!!

The first few weeks after you deliver can be a bit rough. Make sure you have healthy food in the house so when you need to grab something quickly there are healthy options. I was so tired that I just wanted sugar (which I never ate before) and carbs. When you are up to it, put your baby in a snuggie and go for long walks. Bring the stroller for the changing stuff and to put baby down for a while.

The BIGGEST advice I can give any new mother is to have her micro-nutrients tested a couple of months after she deliveres. I was very vitamin deficient but no-one figured it out for 6 years. It messed up my system and threw off my metabolism. In my case it was my vitamin D levels. When they finally tested my D it was at a number 4 when it should be around 50. Thyroid needs D to work, thus, my post pregnancy weight problems.

I have several other friends that ended up with vitamin deficiencies after pregnancy. Too often, OBGYN's really want to take the attitude that "having a baby is no big deal and women are back to normal right away". It sometimes works this way, sometimes not. In a healthy pregnancy, the baby takes what it needs (thank goodness) and sometimes the mom is left deficient. I wish someone had told me this 8 years ago!!!

Anyway, enjoy your baby!! Being a mother is wonderful.
  • cindyluu17
    Options
    Awwww! Congratulations! I remember this :).. Well good Job on working out during your pregnancy. I couldn't bcuz my hubby was scared (he's kinda a silly worrywart but I luv him) and we I am paying for it now lol. So u lose 20 pounds after birth for sure then I lost another 11 after that but I don't know If it was bcuz of running after my 8 week check up (had emergency csection) and/or from breastfeeding. I've always been really good at watching what I eat and working out consistently but it is a Lil hard at the beginning. The good part is that the first six weeks u should really take it easy so u can enjoy ur baby and get a routine down. Then u can start working out but there's no rush. Babies are only babies for a short time (I tell u this bcuz I am cherishing every moment with him now-last baby). I'm here as a friend along the way though! Good luck. Keep us posted on everything! It's so much fun!