Need gym advice

Options
Hi, I've been a member here a while, but haven't been able to make exercise a daily part of my life yet. I take a dance class once/week for an hour (tap & jazz), but decided to try a gym membership, because getting up to do TV workouts just wasn't happening. Plus, I joined a pedometer contest @ work for the month of May, and I have 2 long charity walks (20 & 26 miles) that I'd like to be better prepared for.

So I joined the gym, but it's new, and they're not staffed up for a full class schedule yet, so NONE of the classes fit into my schedule right now (even on weekends, I have 2 young kids). Plus, my husband goes to the gym at night after the kids are in bed (we both work FT in Boston & commute about an hour each way). So, the only time I can really go is early mornings. I'm happy to go and do the treadmill for an hour most days, but I don't know what else I should try or stay away from.

I'm thinking maybe on weekends, for variety, I might do laps in the pool, or try the elliptical or bike instead of the treadmill every day, but I have no idea what to try for strength & flexibility. I also don't want to get bored, doing the same things over & over again.

How do you make a plan for your workouts? Any advice for a beginner? It's been about 10 years since I went to any gym, so none of the weight machines even look familiar to me. I don't know where to start.

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use New Rules of Lifting for Women. Cost me about $6 on Amazon. they're full body work outs, not scary at all, and you can really track your progress. Also go onto bodybuilding.com...don't be scared of the title, they have beginner work outs that work your entire body and you don't need a spotter. Key here is using free weights.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    there should be someone at the gym to show yu how to sue the weight machines
    If not experiment with them
    I mix it up with the eliptical, Zumaba classes and Pilates I also take a powerbarz class on Fridays
    as you sated thought the classes do not meet your needs with your schedule
    Learn the machines and try all of the cardio machines and work you way up with the time
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of gym machines have the direction of how to use them right on them. The have pins you pull to make adjustments to the seat heights or back positions sometimes too. Others are just fixed. They will help you learn the proper motions for the exercise. Very useful. When you're feeling brave, go for the free weights. AWESOME workout.

Do look at the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's an excellent read, even if the exercises are intimidating at first. Sounds like you have a good gym in the making there, use it! Change up your cardio routine. Don't get stuck in a rut!

Good luck to you!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I always mix up my cardio so I don't get bored. My gym doesn't have a pool or I would probably add that in as well but I do a mix up of treadmill, elliptcal and stairmaster. Some days I will do the full time on one machine (usually a long run on the treadmill) but other days I will do a mix of 2 machines like 20-30 mins on stairmaster followed by 20-30 on the elliptcal.

This is not including my 2 - 3 days a week of weight training. The days I do weight training I usually limit my cardio to about 30 mins.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I forgot to mention it's an LA Fitness gym, so they seem to have lots of stuff. I might try the rowing machine too. I'm not sure if my membership might include a consultation with a personal trainer, but I'll look into that too.

And I'll definitely check out the books & links mentioned here. Thanks, and keep them coming. :)
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You have very good questions. Allow me to answer as many as I can.

Although I belong to 24 Hour Fitness, I travel often for business which requires me to workout in various different gyms. Most of the gyms I've visited have a diagram near the machine instructing you on its use. Many gyms also have the machines color coded for the muscle groups, such as black for chest, purple for stomach, teal for legs, and etc.

If your gym does not have anything of this manner near each individual machine I suggest downloading JeFit on your Android device, Blackberry device, or iOS device. JeFit has instructions for machine and free weight use as well as good workouts for neophyte strength trainers and expert weight trainers. I consider it a virtual trainer.

Below are some basic beginner strength training exercises I would suggest. Also if you want the results quicker (strength and flexibility) use free weights. Machines are GREAT however they give you assistance with the weight, I.E. they do some of the lifting and resistance work for you.

Remember these below are VERY basic and will simply get you started

Chest on Machine - Seated Chest Press & Butterfly machine
    Chest on Free Weight (WITHOUT A SPOTTER) Dumbbell Chest Press (WITH A SPOTTER) Bench Press

Biceps on Machine - Don't waste you time with machine bicep press : )
    Biceps on Free Weight - Alternating dumbbell curls, barbell curl, (advanced) ez-bar curl

Back on Machine - Lat pull down, Seated row
    Back on Free weight - Dumbbell row, Barbell row, (advanced) T-Bar row

Legs on Machine - Leg Extension, Leg Press, Leg Curl
    Legs on Free weight - Squats, Calf Lift/Raise
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Mix it up, even with the different elliptical machines... throw in a bit of weight lifting...
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Chest on Free Weight (WITHOUT A SPOTTER) Dumbbell Chest Press (WITH A SPOTTER) Bench Press

Thanks Antoniosmooth. At 5:30-ish AM by myself, how do I get someone to spot me? Will gym staff usually do that for their members, or only if you pay for personal training sessions?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Thanks Antoniosmooth. At 5:30-ish AM by myself, how do I get someone to spot me? Will gym staff usually do that for their members, or only if you pay for personal training sessions?

ask someone standing next to you...especially if they're just standing there...if you're alone than don't lift anything where you may need a spotter...but most of the time the staff would be more than happy to help you out for a few minutes
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I use New Rules of Lifting for Women. Cost me about $6 on Amazon. they're full body work outs, not scary at all, and you can really track your progress. Also go onto bodybuilding.com...don't be scared of the title, they have beginner work outs that work your entire body and you don't need a spotter. Key here is using free weights.

lilRicki -- THANK YOU so much for this recommendation! I got a copy of NROL4W and started it this week. I loved the book, and while the Stage 1 workouts are hard, they feel completely do-able.